• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand T20s 2021

jcas0167

International Debutant

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hamish Bennett named in the 13 for Australia. Bizarre, he’s probably been the least of Wellington’s pace trio this season.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I put it down to they didn’t want to select a squad with only two Wellington players after their total dominance, but were too conservative to give anyone new a go.

Pretty rare a Wellington player gets a shot though, so I hope Bennett goes well. I don’t think he’s been as bad as people have made out.

Flem274*

123/5
the bowling selections are a **** show. i suppose we don't have much t20 bowling depth but milne and dougeh should both be there.

the batting is good.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Bennett OMG - were the selectors actually watching the Super Smash? I've have literally any of Milne, Bracewell, Van Beek, Henry, Tickner, Kuggeleijn over Bennett.

And this made me laugh:

“Martin’s our incumbent opener and our highest T20 international runscorer so we’re backing him to do the job at the top of the order, but he will need to prove his fitness, and it’s good to know we have a ready replacement in Finn on standby.”

Feel frustrated at the selectors for their continued faith in a batsman who's done nothing in recent times. Especially in T20 WC year.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

Bennett OMG - were the selectors actually watching the Super Smash? I've have literally any of Milne, Bracewell, Van Beek, Henry, Tickner, Kuggeleijn over Bennett.

And this made me laugh:

“Martin’s our incumbent opener and our highest T20 international runscorer so we’re backing him to do the job at the top of the order, but he will need to prove his fitness, and it’s good to know we have a ready replacement in Finn on standby.”

Feel frustrated at the selectors for their continued faith in a batsman who's done nothing in recent times. Especially in T20 WC year.
I mean, Bennett did take 13 wickets at 22.00, rpo of 7.46 this season.

That’s third highest wicket taker and top ten economy rate.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I mean, Bennett did take 13 wickets at 22.00, rpo of 7.46 this season.

That’s third highest wicket taker and top ten economy rate.
Those are ok numbers. Like you said, hope he does well and I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but I don't rate him, and I'd take any of the others over him.

thundaboult

International Debutant
very very predictable squad.....sadly no out n out quick in there either, fastest guy is jamieson who touches low 140's occasionally

same story once again with uninspiring selections like southee bennett gup....i really hope it isn't a 5-0 sweep like how it was against India.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Have to feel sorry for Mitchell, he drove Canterbury to the final, got injured trying to take a spectacular catch which stopped him bowling then misses Black Caps selection. It makes sense to give Chapman a go though with an eye to the T20 WC in India. Chapman is probably one of our best against spin.

Moss

Yeah was surprised Mitchell didn’t make the cut, but if he’s not bowling it makes sense. Guess CdG is someone the selectors have decided to move on from in T20? Possibly paid the price for only managing some extremely short cameos on his return.
Very predictable squad otherwise, and they really should have named it for the first 3 T20Is - this doesn’t give them an opportunity to make changes later on without looking foolish. A bit worried for the bowling tbh but should still start favourites.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be disappointed if NZ wins one of these games tbh, even if we’ve dropped half our test side from the series

Moss

Will be disappointed if NZ wins one of these games tbh, even if we’ve dropped half our test side from the series
I think this is one of those cases where the teams see so little of each other (in limited overs) that as an observer you wonder if your team has any business losing the series. NZ’s home advantage and form this season should count for something, but given that they tend to lose the mental battle regularly against Aus wouldn’t be too surprised either if they’re brought resoundingly back to earth.

Moss

same story once again with uninspiring selections like southee bennett gup....i really hope it isn't a 5-0 sweep like how it was against India.
Southee was very good in the Windies and Pakistan games, but never seems to front up against Australia give or take the occasional test match.
Much like the last ODI world cup the selectors have resisted the opportunity to experiment so this is likely the core bowling group for the big tournament too, have to hope it clicks.

Flem274*

123/5
So should McLenaghan. Would be very useful for the World T20 squad
true actually. he was very solid in a struggling side. probably otago's standout player.

our bowling stocks feel dangerously light thanks to ferguson's injury and boult's complete loss of form. i still don't trust southee either, though since he's going to be picked regardless i hope he turned the corner.

but ya milne was a strange exclusion in particular. he's genuinely good at this format.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Hope the new Covid outbreak doesn't jeopardise crowd attendance. Think they have sold out the first match.