• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
In order to win a game, you need to take 20 wickets - and that's definitely a bowler short unless Vaughan is looking to turn his arm over himself.

I'd like to see that side for the last 2 tests if we're 1-0 up in the series, but I sincerely doubt it.

(unless, of course, the 'Jones' is Simon Jones and Trescothick's going to keep wicket

/joke

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Key's not the answer at 3.

Why not put Pietersen there? Spank us around while we're still celebrating McGrath's 500? :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
It's very short on bowling - would require Vaughan and Pietersen to bowl a lot, because Freddy/Hoggy/Harmy all are bowlers that tire very fast...

Alternative is picking Bell at three as an all-rounder ;)
I guess the other alternative (& not one I'd advocate I hasten to add) would be to drop Ash & rely on Vaughan & KP for spin if it were needed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Key's not the answer at 3.

Why not put Pietersen there? Spank us around while we're still celebrating McGrath's 500? :p
I suspect Key is being slotted at 3 because all others who are more suitable for the job (Thorpe, Strauss, Vaughan) are not keen on it and Key doesnt matter anyway and is a misfit in a test side so why not at number three :sleep:

One drop is the place for the best batsman in the side and if England believe Key is their best...well...they are better of playing Bangladesh :sleep:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Vaughan should play at three. He's the captain and if somebody needs to take the responsibility in that position it should be him. Thorpe might be able to go back there, but England need a long term solution and with Thorpe possibly retiring after the Ashes, that's obviously only short term.

Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Michael Vaughan (c)
Graham Thorpe
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones (k)
Ashley Giles
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Steve Harmison

That's clearly the strongest side they have available at the moment. Pietersen has to prove himself obviously, but with Butcher out of the equation and Key not a great pick there's a spot available and he is probably the one who deserves it.

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
BTW some guy in the times was suggesting today that they might go with Flintoff at 7 in the ashes.

Tresco
Strauss
Key
Vaughan
Thorpe
Pietersent
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Harmison

Its a bit short on bowling but if we get rolled first test i can see it happening
In any case, isn't 7 a bit low for Flintoff?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
No matter what the English do with the bat in their hands, the only way to win cricket games (without declarations) is by taking wickets, so the bowlers will have to be bowling as a team and all are going to have to be in great form (at once).
I think they've been performing as a bowling team for 12 months or so now - just about every game they share the wickets around but one or other will stick his hand up and be the key man.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
I guess the other alternative (& not one I'd advocate I hasten to add) would be to drop Ash & rely on Vaughan & KP for spin if it were needed.
I can't see Giles being dropped for a long time.

He's also started the season in superb form!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Vaughan should play at three. He's the captain and if somebody needs to take the responsibility in that position it should be him. Thorpe might be able to go back there, but England need a long term solution and with Thorpe possibly retiring after the Ashes, that's obviously only short term.

Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Michael Vaughan (c)
Graham Thorpe
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones (k)
Ashley Giles
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Steve Harmison

That's clearly the strongest side they have available at the moment. Pietersen has to prove himself obviously, but with Butcher out of the equation and Key not a great pick there's a spot available and he is probably the one who deserves it.
That looks much better.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I think they've been performing as a bowling team for 12 months or so now - just about every game they share the wickets around but one or other will stick his hand up and be the key man.
I agree they have been bowling well as a team, and have done a fine job together. However Australia is another story, if one bowler is off their game, even in the slightest, it will put pressure on the other bowlers and it could affect their games. It is handy having 5 quality bowlers, but if the top order doesn't get it together there is going to be a lot of pressure put on Flintoff to be a leading strike bowler and a middle order savioiur.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
What happened to off spin in English cricket ????
Nobody knows, Duncan Fletcher is calling for acadamies across the country to concentrate on producing spinners and all-rounders. Seems he has realised there is not much depth in those department.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Another option could be:
M Trescothick
A Strauss
I Bell
M Vaughan (c)
G Thorpe
K Pietersen
A Flintoff
C Read (wk)
A Giles
M Hoggard
S Harmison

For me Bell is a better batsmen then Butcher or Key. Read batting at 8 would take the pressure of his batting and if he fails it not such a big deal. If you play 7 batsmen i see no reason to play Jones over Read. Batting Flintoff at seven is a bit low but it will allow him to have less pressure one his batting. Also in a four man bowling bowling attack he will bowl more overs and batting lower will give him more rest. Simon Jones hasn't done much wrong but droping him will allow you to play Read and both KP and Bell.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not long ago Marc was arguing with Richard saying a thread should not be stickied till a test/odi of that tour starts.

I always believe it should a bit before the first tour match.

In much anticipated series like the ashes ofcourse one month before the first tour match doesnt seem out of place.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
In much anticipated series like the ashes ofcourse one month before the first tour match doesnt seem out of place.
I'd say this is probably the biggest series in terms of buildup for some time. The 2004 India/Pakistan series had a bit of a buildup, and so did India/Australia later last year, but this one is the most hyped I can remember in some time, and it's the first "1st v 2nd" series in almost four years. And, given the number of threads we were already seeing about it in cricket chat, obviously an official thread was a good move.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say this is probably the biggest series in terms of buildup for some time. The 2004 India/Pakistan series had a bit of a buildup, and so did India/Australia later last year, but this one is the most hyped I can remember in some time, and it's the first "1st v 2nd" series in almost four years. And, given the number of threads we were already seeing about it in cricket chat, obviously an official thread was a good move.
Its a good move to scrap unnecessary threads. Also the fact as you mentioned 1st versus 2nd makes it thrilling.

On an amusing note, whats so much of discussion when no english fan believes they have any chance ;)