• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

pup11

International Coach
Will watch the matches till Watto gets out, but other then that have little interest in these games as things stand. We have a really boring ODI side these days with no Gilly, Hayden and Symonds.

Doesn't help it's a 7 match series either, which is absurd.
Agreed, the idea of staging such a series after the Ashes is even more absurd, but from an Aussie POV, this series should be good workout for the guys ahead of the Champions trophy.

Anyways, just realised that Dougie Bollinger isn't in the ODI squad, pretty harsh on him considering the fact that he was pretty good in the UAE series.

jondavluc

State Regular
Agreed, the idea of staging such a series after the Ashes is even more absurd, but from an Aussie POV, this series should be good workout for the guys ahead of the Champions trophy.

Anyways, just realised that Dougie Bollinger isn't in the ODI squad, pretty harsh on him considering the fact that he was pretty good in the UAE series.
Especially when you consider Hilfenhaus is in the squad.Hell even though I love Siddle I feel doug deserves it over him.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia will probably go in with...

1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Adam Voges
6. Michael Hussey
7. James Hopes
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Hauritz
11. Nathan Bracken

Which has the potential to be tremendously strong considering Hopes opens for his state and you have an all rounder and a wicket keeper as high quality ODI openers. However, on the other hand, they could be viewed as makeshift openers and Hopes perhaps too weak to bat at seven in an ODI. Moreover, Bracken is out of form, Lee is back from injury and Johnson had a poor series against Pakistan and was scattergun in the Tests against England.

jondavluc

State Regular

1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Adam Voges
6. Michael Hussey
7. James Hopes
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Hauritz
11. Nathan Bracken

Which has the potential to be tremendously strong considering Hopes opens for his state and you have an all rounder and a wicket keeper as high quality ODI openers. However, on the other hand, they could be viewed as makeshift openers and Hopes perhaps too weak to bat at seven in an ODI. Moreover, Bracken is out of form, Lee is back from injury and Johnson had a poor series against Pakistan and was scattergun in the Tests against England.
:huh: he didn't play Pakistan.

pup11

International Coach
Isn't Punter on 'holiday' until the 4th ODI? Tells you how serious this series is.
Nah, he will be back before the first ODI, he just taking a break for the ODI against Scots and T20's against England.

Manee said:

1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Adam Voges
6. Michael Hussey
7. James Hopes
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Hauritz
11. Nathan Bracken

We tend to like playing with seven batsmen and four bowlers in limited overs cricket, and this is the team we are most likely to start with

1.S.Watson
2.B.Haddin+
3.R.Ponting*
4.M.Clarke
5.C.Ferguson
6.M.Hussey
7.C.White/ A.Voges
8.M.Johnson
9.B.Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.N.Bracken

Hopes might get a look in if White/Voges don't contribute much with the bat, and the 5th bowling option of Watto/Clarke proves to be expensive or ineffective.

Btw, mate I don't think Johnson played in the series against Pakistan.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
:huh: he didn't play Pakistan.
DIdn't he? I recall him being expensive in recent ODIs; lemme look it up...

Hmmm, he was top wicket taker in the series against South Africa, not too sure what I was thinking of there...

inbox24

International Debutant
I have revised my opinion. The only time hopes can be in the team is when either Haddin is injured, or Warner is out of form/yet to develop his ODI game. In a case like this he should open the batting as he contributes nothing with the bat as a finisher. Voges not in this OD squad yet picked for the Champions Trophy squad? Another big WTF to the selectors. There needs to be permanency in the middle order and that can't happen with all these left field and literally random selections.

Watson
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Ferguson
Paine
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

Bracken's walking a thin line, but I'd still give him a few more chances before jettisoning. Would be badly remiss not to pick Hilfenhaus considering the form he's in, so the wayward Johnson misses out (unless Bracken fails then put him in). Siddle also misses out, needs to develop his game a little more. Selectors need to learn that sometimes harsh (but correct) decisions need to be made and some people may need to be dropped so they can work on their game and come back better players.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
I wouldn't put hopes anywhere near the top order he fails everytime,would call up sean marsh for haddin or open with paine or clarke.

pup11

International Coach
I have revised my opinion. The only time hopes can be in the team is when either Haddin is injured, or Warner is out of form/yet to develop his ODI game. In a case like this he should open the batting as he contributes nothing with the bat as a finisher. Voges not in this OD squad yet picked for the Champions Trophy squad? Another big WTF to the selectors. There needs to be permanency in the middle order and that can't happen with all these left field and literally random selections.

Watson
Hopes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Ferguson
Paine
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

Bracken's walking a thin line, but I'd still give him a few more chances before jettisoning. Would be badly remiss not to pick Hilfenhaus considering the form he's in, so the wayward Johnson misses out (unless Bracken fails then put him in). Siddle also misses out, needs to develop his game a little more. Selectors need to learn that sometimes harsh (but correct) decisions need to be made and some people may need to be dropped so they can work on their game and come back better players.
Paine opens the innings in OD games so surely he would be opening now, don't want Hopes to opening the batting ahead of him tbh.

As or Bracks, I'm not too worried about him, he has been having a rough time of it off late, but he is class bowler, and in the English conditions he should do well.

Anyways, picking Hilfenhaus ahead of Johnson is simply a joke, and Voges is there in this ODI squad.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Julian87 said:
I don't think Hilfehaus should play based on test form. He's a rather mediocre ODI bowler.
Agreed, Hilfy still has to work on his limited overs bowling, I think he doesn't have much trouble bowling with the new ball, but thereafter its his bowling in the death overs and the middle overs that he really needs to work on.