• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England 2018

Who will win the ODI series?

• England

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack1

International Debutant
In all honesty, I would still pick Root before Roy and Hales in T20I for England. He's not an explosive player, but he gets the job done in this format, more often than a few of the players who are likely to be picked above him. It's frustrating how much he is overlooked in the format because he doesn't hit the ball as far as others.
The 2016 World Cup is a prime example of his importance to the team. It was his 80 against South Africa that allowed England to chase down 230 and stay in the tournament... And then in the final when virtually every other batsman bottled it, he scored a fifty and then took two wickets at the start of the second innings which put us in such a good position. Easily the best English player of the tournament.
My fear is that by the next world cup, he will be out of the squad, simply because of a lack of opportunity. Then when we are chasing a small score on a wicket that isn't a road most of our players will just end up underperforming on the day.
Hales is a stronger t20i player than Root that's for sure. If you love Root that's fine, but don't let bias cloud your judgement. Root is England's best test batter, to say he's better than Hales in t20 is a bit of a joke in my view. No offence. Hales has a higher career strike rate than Buttler in t20is and a higher average. I'm not in the habit of judging players on one tournament. I judge them on their careers. In the 2013/14 World Cup Hales made 166 runs at an average of 55.33 and strike rate of 158.09. Hales is also ranked 7th in the ICC batting rankings for t20 and in the past been ranked number 1. It's easy to cherry pick stats, career is what matters and it's no contest between Hales and Root that's for sure. Buttler's overall career stats are disappointing considering his talent. Bairstow's are also very disappointing in t20i, but Bairstow has improved a lot recently and I think he should be able to improve them along with Buttler. Root has stagnated in limited overs and is going to struggle to up his career strike rates. The others are increasing their career strike rates almost on a game by game basis at the moment.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What alternative was there though? Stokes is such a massive cog in our white ball teams.
Yeah given the only other even remotely serious bowling option in the side was Root, I'm not sure there was a lot Morgan could've done. If Finch was lining up off spin as he was I don't think Root would've helped matters.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Hales is a stronger t20i player than Root that's for sure. If you love Root that's fine, but don't let bias cloud your judgement. Root is England's best test batter, to say he's better than Hales in t20 is a bit of a joke in my view. No offence. Hales has a higher career strike rate than Buttler in t20is and a higher average. I'm not in the habit of judging players on one tournament. I judge them on their careers. In the 2013/14 World Cup Hales made 166 runs at an average of 55.33 and strike rate of 158.09. Hales is also ranked 7th in the ICC batting rankings for t20 and in the past been ranked number 1. It's easy to cherry pick stats, career is what matters and it's no contest between Hales and Root that's for sure. Buttler's overall career stats are disappointing considering his talent. Bairstow's are also very disappointing in t20i, but Bairstow has improved a lot recently and I think he should be able to improve them along with Buttler. Root has stagnated in limited overs and is going to struggle to up his career strike rates. The others are increasing their career strike rates almost on a game by game basis at the moment.
Root also offers a very useful spin bowling option that Hales does not.

I don't mind England resting Root from t20i, but I think if there's something in it for the bowler, or in Asian conditions, he is more than useful to have in the team. So I think it is better to keep him in the mix and playing, so when he is called upon, he is a position to deliver.

As for ODI - Root has to be one of the first picked. He averages a fraction under 50 mostly batting in the top order - real runs - only 7 not outs.

He averages a two ticks under 60 at 3 with a SR over 90 (over 49 matches). That is exceptional.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't blame him, poor guy had an entire country turn on him in the blink of an eye.
Might have seemed that way, but most sensible people were behind him. Hopefully the break does him some good, by all reports he was mentally exhausted after the ashes.

trundler

It's a shame that he'll be away from the game for an year. For me, Smith was about to break into the Punter-Greg Chapell-Harvey tier. A year in his peak wasted.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
It's a shame that he'll be away from the game for an year. For me, Smith was about to break into the Punter-Greg Chapell tier. A year in his peak wasted.
Hmmmm. For me, I think he went past the Faf and Atherton tier. ;)

I think that beats G Chappel, though.

But seriously - Smith is a brilliant test bat - just outstanding method.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Where do you rate Afridi, Miyagi?
The sad thing is - he wasn't a bad test bat. I think he retired too soon from tests tbh. His record as a test A/R is better than many would expect it to be.

Apparently he retired cos he was captain and couldn't set the example well - but his numbers were more than good enough for selection.

Last edited:

trundler

Never had the temperament to succeed as a test bat over a long period. His bowling was okay. Should have focused on that. Was never anything extraordinary in tests but to quote a venerable member, he was a "waste man"

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually remember watching those Tests where he was captain. He just couldn't help himself & just kept playing ridiculous shots. When it comes to Boom Boom, there's no medium setting - it's either full-power or nothing.

TheJediBrah

Afridi got caught up in his own hype and didn't bother trying to bat properly

He was also probably about 5 years older than he was reported to be at all times which wouldn't have helped

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Never had the temperament to succeed as a test bat over a long period. His bowling was okay. Should have focused on that. Was never anything extraordinary in tests but to quote a venerable member, he was a "waste man"
That's what he reckoned, but have a look at his numbers. For an all rounder, if you want that 5th bowler - his numbers are a higher batting ave to bowling ave. That's decent.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Afridi got caught up in his own hype and didn't bother trying to bat properly

He was also probably about 5 years older than he was reported to be at all times which wouldn't have helped
Dude. He's 38 and played intl cricket this year. What are you basing this on? Gooch and Misbah?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I actually remember watching those Tests where he was captain. He just couldn't help himself & just kept playing ridiculous shots. When it comes to Boom Boom, there's no medium setting - it's either full-power or nothing.
Yeah - but 5 centuries in 27 tests is a good S/R, even for a real batsmen - let alone an A/R.

But what you say are the exact reasons he personally believed and quit accordingly. So I'm not looking for a debate. Afridi himself is on your side.

trundler

Waqar Younis and Sachin are supposed to be the same age too. Looks... implausible. Afridi's probably older than his official age.