• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Associate Tri-Series

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I disagree that the Associates will gain nothing. Sure they are expected to lose, but they will gain very valuable experience from it. Windies gain nothing and that is where i think the current ODI table gets it wrong. If the Test teams were able to gain points from playing the Associates (in matches that are already accorded full ODI status anyway), they would be more open to playing them and the gap between the two would be bridged much quicker.
You think that Canada and Bermuda are going to gain very valuable experience from playing a couple of games against a very weak West Indian team? They'll lose, even if the West Indies are a poor side at the moment, and the rushed nature of the 'series' means that there isn't actually much potential for Canada and Bermuda to gain anything.

If Test playing nations were able to gain points from ODI matches such as this, the small number of points would barely be worth anything anyway. It certainly wouldn't be an added incentive to take part in these kind of tournaments as you seem to suggest, and I don't see how it would bridge the gap either. The Associate nations need to tour countries and play FC fixtures, not take on South Africa and Australia in one-sided ODI matches where they will gain nothing.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
completely agree that FC tours would be a huge boost - something I have been advocating for quite a while, but playing ODIs against the top sides does help. Even if it only sets a benchmark for the Associate team to aim at, they need to play better teams if they are to improve. Also, the more often they play these teams, the less of a shock the standard is to them and the better they can adapt.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
I accept. The more they play against the top teams the more confidence & importance these teams get.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Confidence from getting thrashed thoroughly and consistently? Flawed logic, that.

Not saying that WI will issue such thrashings, but practically every other proper team would.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Confidence from getting thrashed thoroughly and consistently? Flawed logic, that.

Not saying that WI will issue such thrashings, but practically every other proper team would.
How else are Associates cricket boards going to be taken seriously by sponsors, fans and their respective government if they cannot regularly bring big team in the world of cricket over for the odd game? One cannot expect these teams to be immediately competitive but 5-10 ODI's an year against Test teams with the additional FC tours over a few years would do wonders for the cricket in these Associates.

stumpski

International Captain
Could be a good finish here - Bermuda wanting 85 off the last 13 overs, with two batsmen well set you'd expect them to do that really.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, FC tours are so much better.. I wish we could have more schemes such as Zimbabwe and Namibia who sometimes play in the SA league..

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, FC tours are so much better.. I wish we could have more schemes such as Zimbabwe and Namibia who sometimes play in the SA league..
I'd like to see South African domestic teams take up a few Kenyans the way English Counties have signed Irish and Scottish players as well.

bryce

International Regular
I'd like to see South African domestic teams take up a few Kenyans the way English Counties have signed Irish and Scottish players as well.
Yeah that is a good idea, I remember Tikolo played a bit for Border a while back. In reality the majority of the players probaly are not up to the standard, and even if they are they more than likely have had not enough experience at a FC level to show that they do have what it takes though that is the sort of opportunities these sort of tournaments can provide . That said i am certain there will be a SA domestic team who could do with someone like Varaiya. I do not think this is the worst idea for a tournament, weaker nations can always do with more exposure and the WI probaly need some matches where they can afford to experiment a bit with their combinations.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
West Indies batting first against Canada - Dave Mohammed gets his first outing for the senior team since December 2006. Gayle in for Sarwan.

stumpski

International Captain
So is Rizwan Cheema, who in his second match has taken 3-31. You don't often see bowlers classified as 'slow-medium' - that tends to be reserved for batsmen who only bowl when the match is dead or they want the other side to declare.

Canada doing well to keep the West Indies down to 5 an over.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
So is Rizwan Cheema, who in his second match has taken 3-31. You don't often see bowlers classified as 'slow-medium' - that tends to be reserved for batsmen who only bowl when the match is dead or they want the other side to declare.

Canada doing well to keep the West Indies down to 5 an over.
Either he is a spinner that doesn't really turn the ball or Cricinfo are going over te top over his lack of pace.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Marshall with a dominant knock. 157* and the record for most sixes in an ODI innings with 12. Nash ably supporting in the final overs and Johnson with a maiden 50.