• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You never saw him bowl did you?

2005 onwards doesn't count
I saw him bowl quite a bit. He had a short but good peak but always seemed to bowl a fraction short for my liking.

He was very good but from what little I've seen of Cummins and what I've seen of Hazlewood I think they're better bowlers.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gillespie's 200 isn't even his best nightwatchman innings. That'd be his performance in India in 2004 which, along with rain, helped Australia to the draw

Flametree

International 12th Man
Gillespie was superb between (iirc) 2002 and 2004
He had a better average between 1997 and 2000, but played just 15 tests in that period, compared to that run you mention when he was around pretty much every series, playing 45 tests in the 4 years from 2001 to 2004.

Gnske

Gillespie's 200 isn't even his best nightwatchman innings. That'd be his performance in India in 2004 which, along with rain, helped Australia to the draw
If rain helps you it can't be that good an innings. That's like saying you benched 350 but had your feet on the ground while you did it, it's stupid.

Son Of Coco

Nah I don't rate Dizzy all that highly. Was good for a very short time but wasn't exceptional. Lee made him look great though by being the single most overrated test bowler in living memory.
He was a very good bowler. Injured a lot early, and ended badly in the UK, but was really good for a number of years. Would have a peak period Gillespie ahead of Hazlewood and Starc at the moment, but that could change by the end of their careers. A bloke who's an average bowler doesn't set Lara up like this on 0. Or take nearly 300 wickets @ 26.

He also gets bonus points for his comment re: what his 'friend' said about the pitch in India that time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Australia's bowling attack is so good this series, last time England succumbed to Johnson's thunderbolts and this time they're not dealing with hostile fast bowling but facing a very complete bowling attack.
Haha **** off, a fit Harris strolls into this team.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The talk going around of Cummins bowling half a yard too short; he's a smart cricketer and if there's any credence to such analysis, he will learn from it sooner than later. Fitness allowing, he's going to be Rabada's chief rival in years to come.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If rain helps you it can't be that good an innings. That's like saying you benched 350 but had your feet on the ground while you did it, it's stupid.
I phrased it poorly but the innings was a huge part in getting Australia into day 5 + setting a 200+ target which as it turns out allowed Australia to avoid defeat. Huge innings

Last edited:

fredfertang

My guess is that the Cricket Australia XI were under instructions to try and play Keaton Jennings into our Test team - they clearly gave it a good go, didn't quite succeed, thankfully