• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 3rd Test at the WACA

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) Strauss
2) Cook
3) Bell
4) Collingwood
5) Pietersen
6) Flintoff
7) Read
8) Mahmood
9) Hoggard
10) Harmison
11) Panesar

Englands best XI in my eyes.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
ha, come on mayn. How can be so rough towards Bing, he's had a rough start to the series yea, but between the last Ashes up to the 1st test here even you can't deny how well he has bowled, then in this test the first time he has ever bowled consistent reverse swing. Cut the bloke some slack will ya...
Why should I? The guy gets so much credit for doing nothing. Lee's bowling average before the first test against the West Indies was 33.04 and it is now 32.21, it isn't like he's burst back on to the scene and dropped his bowling average under 30, which he had a perfect opportunity to do with two test against Bangladesh where he averaged close to 100 with the ball - that's terrible and nobody can deny that.

Since that W.I. test, this has been his figures:

1/59, 5/30, 3/32, 2/99, 3/111, 4/46, 5/93, 1/83, 3/92, 0/23, 3/82, 1/48, 3/37, 2/47, 5/69, 1/65, 3/57, 3/57, 0/68, 1/47, 0/36, 1/35, 1/51, 1/98, 1/139 & 2/35.

Sure he started that period well, but come on...he is a new ball bowler who bowls fast. He should at least be getting early top order wickets or a bag against the tail enders. Sure he's bowled better, I'll admit that, but he's hardly been knocking back stumps. Only 5 wickets in an innings 7 times and he was stuck on 4 from his 13th test until his 44th test.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your forgetting the fact that only Macgill & Gillespie bowled effectively in Bangladesh, whats even more of a coincidence is that they were the 2 bowlers who hadn't been playing cricket all around the world non-stop since the 2005 Ashes series.

Hayden could also come under the "avoiding the axe" category need i remind you. Yes he had more "credit" stored up than Lee, but he was decididly ordinary for the 15 months leading up to the 05 ashes, and will most likely avoid the selectors axe again if he fails this series.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Exluding my personal thoughts I pretty sure Fletcher will go for the same team in Perth, perhaps with Mahmood/Plunkett in for Anderson being the only change. Though after his Hoggard/Anderson comments the same team could be on the cards.

There is no way he'll drop Giles for Perth.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Since that W.I. test, this has been his figures:

1/59, 5/30, 3/32, 2/99, 3/111, 4/46, 5/93, 1/83, 3/92, 0/23, 3/82, 1/48, 3/37, 2/47, 5/69, 1/65, 3/57, 3/57, 0/68, 1/47, 0/36, 1/35, 1/51, 1/98, 1/139 & 2/35.
That's 55 wickets @ 29.80. Before the last 8 innings there, it's 48 wickets @ about 23. Actually, excluding the end of that sequence, it's evidence of consistently good bowling, with multiple wickets in almost every innings and an overall good average. I don't really know how you could possibly use that part of Lee's career to argue that he's a poor test bowler. He bowled well ffs, and look lots of wickets at a good average against good opposition. What else is he meant to do?

And as far as "bringing his average down into the 20s" is concerned, why is that relevant? The guy had over 150 wickets, so obviously it'll take a while for his average to come down. Flintoff still averages in the 30s too, does that mean his bowling in the last few years has been no good? The only thing that matters is how well he actually bowls in the matches in question. Certainly in the Ashes so far (aside from yesterday) he's been very disappointing, and before yesterday I was fairly comfortable with him being dropped from the team for a while if they wanted to include a second spinner. I really don't see what your point is about his bowling last year, though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's 55 wickets @ 29.80. Before the last 8 innings there, it's 48 wickets @ about 23. Actually, excluding the end of that sequence, it's evidence of consistently good bowling, with multiple wickets in almost every innings and an overall good average. I don't really know how you could possibly use that part of Lee's career to argue that he's a poor test bowler. He bowled well ffs, and look lots of wickets at a good average against good opposition. What else is he meant to do?

And as far as "bringing his average down into the 20s" is concerned, why is that relevant? The guy had over 150 wickets, so obviously it'll take a while for his average to come down. Flintoff still averages in the 30s too, does that mean his bowling in the last few years has been no good? The only thing that matters is how well he actually bowls in the matches in question. Certainly in the Ashes so far (aside from yesterday) he's been very disappointing, and before yesterday I was fairly comfortable with him being dropped from the team for a while if they wanted to include a second spinner. I really don't see what your point is about his bowling last year, though.
Quite right.

I thought his spell yesterday was arguably his best for Australia, given he need to keep things tight whils also securing wickets. His control was superb, not something one always associates with him.

R_D

International Debutant
hehehe can't beleive someone wants to drop LEE.... His bowling spell was amazing the swing and control at such pace was great to watch.

Josh

International Regular
The only way Australia are gonna play another spinner is without bringing in Watson, I'm afraid. Can't drop Clark, can't drop Lee, can't drop McGrath.

Martyn should go, but the only way you could play Watson is probably dropping Hayden aswell and letting Hussey open, and in my opinion, Hussey is better suited to the middle order.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Today I read that the pitch at the WACA is now expected to be quick. if this is true, then MacGill isn't a certainty here either.

greg

International Debutant
Matt79 said:
Today I read that the pitch at the WACA is now expected to be quick. if this is true, then MacGill isn't a certainty here either.
Same England team then...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
He hasn't been a certainty at any point I don't think. He definitely won't be picked now, it'll be the same team but with Watson in for Martyn if he's fit. If Watson's not ready, Martyn will hang on for another game.

Josh

International Regular
His bowling will be nullified in that sort of situation though, I think. Unless they plan to rest McGrath more.

gatecrasher

Cricket Spectator
Hope this isnt braking any rules on here but unfortunately due to a wedding I am unable to attend day 3 (SAT) of the 3rd test in Perth so I have 2 x Adult tickets Section 5 Row E up for grabs.

email jays_way@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
He hasn't been a certainty at any point I don't think. He definitely won't be picked now, it'll be the same team but with Watson in for Martyn if he's fit. If Watson's not ready, Martyn will hang on for another game.
Want to take odds on Martyn getting a big score if he hangs in? I have this funny feeling...

Anyway Vaughan as much of a fan I am of him I think he is at thousands to play at Perth it would be a big big big call to do so.

FWIIW Chris Read won't play either because Fletcher loves Geriant too much. And for Marc to defend Giles in 5..4..3

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Colly
KP
Flintoff
Jones
Mahmood
Hoggard
harmison
Panesar

Been disappointed with Jimmy A, I was hoping for great things from him. I don't think Read will score any more than Geraint, and I don't think his keeping would be any better either so I wouldn't change anything there. I would rather have a 4-man attack tbh, which would probably mean no Mahmood, and Ed Joyce coming in, batting 6 I guess.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Have to say before this test I'd have agreed, but I think Clarke showed that he's taken some steps forward in his innings - it was overshadowed a bit by Collingwood and Ponting, but he played in a very pleasing manner, given what his issues have been in the past. He deserves to stay in the team.