• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How is Bell still batting? Unbelievable. It's got to be the worst innings of his career so far. Doesn't have a clue against any of the bowlers, especially Warne who has been ridiculously unlucky.

PY

International Coach
I won't knock him while he's still there, grit and determination is what has been called for and it's what we've been given.

As long as he doesn't get out and bats for two days, I don't care if he's slow.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:
I won't knock him while he's still there, grit and determination is what has been called for and it's what we've been given.

As long as he doesn't get out and bats for two days, I don't care if he's slow.
Ehh, you need to make a big score and declare before the end of the second day. Its not going to be easy taking 20 wickets. I understand going defensive to consolidate but Bell is going too far.

PY

International Coach
If he's finding it tough, there's no point playing a rash shot and getting out is there? He'd get more slated for doing that than for playing slowly.

In all fairness, it's not like the bowling has been crap either and he's missed out. He's still there (luckily from what I gather) and he has to use to well. And he stopped the rot too.

I'll defend him because he's scored runs even if it's slow.

Dravid

International Captain
PY said:
If he's finding it tough, there's no point playing a rash shot and getting out is there? He'd get more slated for doing that than for playing slowly.

In all fairness, it's not like the bowling has been crap either and he's missed out. He's still there (luckily from what I gather) and he has to use to well. And he stopped the rot too.

Theres no reason for him to get out on purpose. Just fake an injury and retire. He can still come back in the end if the team reaches such a dire position.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nice comeback over from Lee. Slight hints of reverse there, as you'd expect after 50+ overs at Adelaide, so it'll be interesting to see if McGrath can get any if he comes on shortly. Generally speaking, he's the best reverse swing bowler in the Australian team. Lee can get a bit but it's usually pretty predictable yorker length stuff.

If it does reverse a lot they'll be missing Tait or Johnson, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:

I agree that scoring slowly doesn't matter all that much. It's the first day and England needed a partnership. If he was still striking in the 30s after making a 60+ you'd be worried, but early on its fine.

He has batted horribly though. Not because he's been slow, more because he could have been out about a dozen times. Credit to him though, he's managed to stay in there somehow and has the chance to go on with it and turn it into a good innings.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Theres no need to rush, England could easily collapse for under 300 here if Australia get going, its upto Bell to stay out there even if he isnt finding it easy. Much lesser batsmen would have just tried to hit Warne out of the attack and got out.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Half Centuries to both Bell & Collingwood, credit to them to withstand some top class bowling.