• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Laurrz

International Debutant
151.1 Hoggard to Clarke, 2 runs, crisp drive straight to the coconut at short extra cover

wth?? Cricinfo has gone nuts lol

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Typical Hoggard performance today. Talked down beforehand, can't do it when the ball isn't swinging miles, useless outside England, defies critics again with 7, the same haul of wickets as the rest of the seamers in this match put together.

Craig

World Traveller
I really hope Bell does get a big score, to show for his efforts thus far and for me to justify picking him in my cricket idol thread recently.

A question for the English, would you consider a draw (as it looks like) a pretty good result from Brisbane? In that I mean would you class it up there with winning the Test?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Clarke's best Test innings' today? I think so. I was off sick from work so go to see it and it was nice to see him work for a knock. I mean, the deck is a road but someone, after Gilchrist threatened but ultimately threw it away, had to make Australia safe and he did it and didn't really look that challenged throughout. Best of all, he was really, really solid throughout outside off-stump. None of the airy flirts we've seen so much of from him for a few years. Very classy knock, I thought.

I tip a big knock from Gillie next Test, by the way. Aside from the fact the signs were good, he looked pretty upset when he holed out to such a soft shot. May have re-discovered his mojo.

Matthew Hoggard has been a class above the other bowlers in this match. Awesome stuff. Even managed to swing the ball a few times but most importantly just kept running in. Always looked dangerous. Special mention to Stuart Clark who shouldn't really have to worry about his spot for now. He out-McGrath'ed McGrath on this ultra-slow deck. Like Hoggard, always looks dangerous.

Lee; dear oh dear. Skidding speed on this sort of pitch means you just come onto the bat and fly off it quicker. Just not his sort of pitch. Hasn't really bowled terribly in terms of line and length despite going for plenty (and at a good rate too). I barely remember a short ball from him, really. It just so happens that a bowler of Lee's type will never do well on this sort of ultra-slow pitch. I mean he was consistently hitting 145km/h+ but there hasn't been one ball which has popped or jumped. So for that reason, I don't think we should judge him TOO harshly but if he doesn't look much better in Perth, all sorts of questions about his place in the side will and should be asked...... One good thing about him is that he never stops running in, never drops his bundle. Just drops his brain on occasion. :D

Key players tomorrow; Andrew Strauss. Will be the barometer of whether England chase quick runs. He looks in awfully good touch despite lack of runs in the Tests so far and the short ones won't trouble him here. If he gets a few away early, I expect Pietersen to come in at four and go for broke to set a target.

Stuart Clark; might just run through England if he keeps them on the spot and they're looking for quick runs.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke played a very good knock that's for sure, but the pitch was very much suited to his game as it was Collingwood.

If I was an England bowler, I'd still prefer to bowl to him than Martyn on a pitch doing a bit.

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
Key players tomorrow; Andrew Strauss. Will be the barometer of whether England chase quick runs. He looks in awfully good touch despite lack of runs in the Tests so far and the short ones won't trouble him here. If he gets a few away early, I expect Pietersen to come in at four and go for broke to set a target.

Set a target? My God there have been 17 wickets in four days of cricket. The idea that England could skittle Australia in 50 overs is just not plausible. And frankly, an English declaration that gives Australia any sort of a sniff is, at this stage of the Series, just as far outside the realms of possibility.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
A question for the English, would you consider a draw (as it looks like) a pretty good result from Brisbane?
Pre-game I'd have taken it in an instant to be honest.

So in that case, yes.

Dravid

International Captain
Anyone know if Stuart will play the next match? I believe it's about time Australia used him. Also Monty needs to come in for Giles next match.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
I really hope Bell does get a big score, to show for his efforts thus far and for me to justify picking him in my cricket idol thread recently.

A question for the English, would you consider a draw (as it looks like) a pretty good result from Brisbane? In that I mean would you class it up there with winning the Test?
No of course not, I wouldn't celebrate a draw like Australia after Old Trafford last time round, why would we? It's not like we have looked like losing the test at any point.

Let me clarify this, I'm not meaning to say I wouldn't have celebrated if I were Australian, just syaing this isn't the same situation...

Last edited:
Gloucefan said:
No of course not, I wouldn't celebrate a draw like Australia after Old Trafford last time round, why would we? It's not like we have looked like losing the test at any point.
It was only natural they would have done that, after being robbed at Edgbaston the test before.