• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Twice in this match the lower order has bailed out the top order for NZ. Not great signs tbh.

Good to see Porter back in form though. Just in time for the Championship hiatus though. Sigh.
Not a bad thing though, we have been struggling with lower order runs for quite some time now. The top order will get struck in, no doubt about that once the test series starts. Good thing is even Ajaz is looking like a reasonable batsman. Wagner looked like a middle order batsman. Kyle also scored some runs. I guess the practice games are valuable for these reasons.

Young has been scoring lot of runs of late, Latham will be all right you feel although it is never easy against the new ball. Kane's timing looked intact in the number of balls he played, Conway will get runs no matter what the conditions and quality of bowling is, CDG among reasonable runs as well, D Mitchell looked in very good touch. Blundell may be struggling a bit but if the top order scores runs he will too.

I'll be more worried about bowling, we weren't hitting good areas with the new ball in general.

nzfan

Those LBWs as well... all three would have been over turned. Young way forward, struck on the knee the ball would have missed the stumps on height. Conway struck on middle and leg, Porter bowling wide off the crease nipping it a long way would have missed the stumps comfortably. Blundell smashed it but was given out. We'd be 3 wickets less technically if it was a test match.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, that's the issue with playing a non-FC game. The intensity of it doesn't go an inch towards replicating Test match batting in particular. I honestly think you get **** all out of playing 12 a side - I know Kane came late and wanted a hit, but when you make it non-FC and a bit Mickey Mouse, you drain the intensity out of the match practice. It becomes an open wicket net.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't see this at all, the weather has been pretty good this year so far, the County Championship has been full of runs and it's looking Sunny for the week, either team leaving out a spinner a rather sus move IMHO.
OK yeah I have heard the balls are doing less, and I didn't know it'd been a dry summer. Will be interesting

Immenso

It's quite a fitting warmup for these guys tbh. They've clocked out, this isnt a retirement/injury induced decline like 1989 and 2004.
Too good to drop, not really enough depth to voluntarily replace the world class players, but they're phoning it in.

Its novel, we've never been here before ..

Moss

Was the overlap with the IPL as big a factor on previous tours? Feels like the preparation is quite suspect though I suppose any warmup is good warmup these days.

It's quite a fitting warmup for these guys tbh. They've clocked out, this isnt a retirement/injury induced decline like 1989 and 2004.
Too good to drop, not really enough depth to voluntarily replace the world class players, but they're phoning it in.

Its novel, we've never been here before ..
If you think about it, there is a certain amount of retirement/injury induced change going on. Taylor, Watling, plus Kane’s fitness and Boult’s reduced availability. CdG and Wagner aren’t too far away from retirement either. I feel like the excessive focus on T20 world cups has distracted from issues around the test team (and we’ve momentarily forgotten that the 50 over format is a thing).

nzfan

To be fair any preparation is better than no preparation. Last time we visited overseas don't think we had any preparation games. Of course an overlap with IPL is never quite useful particularly when we have to play in English conditions but in the past you wouldn't even have a chance for a hit in the middle. On top of that quicker turnaround meaning limited training as well. These guys have been there for two weeks now and even if IPL guys take a game or two to come to party rest of the players should be quite happy with the preparation.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Was the overlap with the IPL as big a factor on previous tours? Feels like the preparation is quite suspect though I suppose any warmup is good warmup these days.

If you think about it, there is a certain amount of retirement/injury induced change going on. Taylor, Watling, plus Kane’s fitness and Boult’s reduced availability. CdG and Wagner aren’t too far away from retirement either. I feel like the excessive focus on T20 world cups has distracted from issues around the test team (and we’ve momentarily forgotten that the 50 over format is a thing).
It doesn't look like Southee or Boult featured in the warm up games in 2015 while McCullum was a late arrival. Atherton wrote a famously brutal article when Vettori & McCullum arrived late due to IPL commitments in 2008 although McCullum hit 97 at Lord's in the first test.

I was surprised reading those 2015 tour scorecards to see that Duffy was on that tour along with Santner. Time flies.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
100* For compton, unfortunate this doesn't have fc status or he'de be a real solid chance of 1000 runs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
119 for compton before getting out playing a ghastly shot vs ajaz to end it quickly, still a great innings. Don't care about his lack of games man has made 5 100's so far this season, needs to be picked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
there's definitely an ominous feeling that 2021 was 2004 or 1989 and we're about to hit NZ 2005/1990.
2007 a better bet for that cutoff I think. The team from 2005-2007 kinda muddled through, but then starting in 2007 they lost Astle, McMillan, Bond, Fleming, Mk 1 Franklin and Styris (in tests) within 18 months.

Flem274*

123/5
2007 a better bet for that cutoff I think. The team from 2005-2007 kinda muddled through, but then starting in 2007 they lost Astle, McMillan, Bond, Fleming, Mk 1 Franklin and Styris (in tests) within 18 months.
i think this lot have muddling in them.

i want to be wrong and i should be wrong, because we still have some of our top end players in history there with up and coming talents we're not used to having at all, but we've seen this from nz before.

"we prioritised t20s, dabbled with young players, injured KW with endless t20s and didn't get the most from obviously good players, there's nothing we could have done to prevent this crash down the rankings through losing to bangladesh at home and other such results"

i'll probably be done if it happens tbh, but then i'm just a grinchy millennial salty that our board is determined to force us to love t20 and is confiscating odis and tests from the fans.

the good news is collapses and handing out 100s to fc players is what warm ups are for so you're hypothetically less of a charity to the anderson and broad wicket tally (or the resurrection of englands batting) in the real games.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah what happened in 2004? From like 2001 - 2007 we were neither consistently bad nor consistently good. I tend to think of 2001 -2003 and 2005 - 2007 as both being decent eras because Bond was available. Are we calling 2004 bad because Bond missed the tour to England and we sucked in that series after having high hopes? That's true, but I wouldn't say it was really the beginning or end of any eras.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lost Richardson and Cairns. Bond also suffered his horrific back injury in late 03 and would be out for 2 full years, so the side was definitely weaker than it had been in the run-up to the 03 world cup. But the core of the batting unit was still there so they were still pretty competitive, and on the rare occasions that Bond was fit they managed to win a couple of series. Bit like the post Hadlee, pre Crowe knee injury era.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
2004/05 also saw the side get flogged in two test series against Australia although arguably not as badly as the current side on their last tour there :-) The prospect of losing Wagner will be similar to losing Cairns or Bond I think.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah I remember 2004 and 2004/05 as being pretty lame because we got flogged in England and Australia, but then 2005/6 and 2006/7 were ok because we had Bond back, beat up Windies and Sri Lanka at home, made another WC semi-final and basically did our usual stuff. If there was a drop off I associate it more with 07/08ish (Astle, Cairns, McMillan all retired, Fleming's last season, Styris and Oram pretty much gone from tests, Bond gone again, Tuffey gone/had flattered to deceive).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That 06 series v SA was also probably the most competitive I’ve ever seen NZ be in the Republic. Despite the 2-0 scoreline, NZ were in strong positions in all 3 games (all the more impressive given Bond’s absence) which you can’t exactly say for their other tours there over the past 30 years.

thierry henry

International Coach
That 06 series v SA was also probably the most competitive I’ve ever seen NZ be in the Republic. Despite the 2-0 scoreline, NZ were in strong positions in all 3 games (all the more impressive given Bond’s absence) which you can’t exactly say for their other tours there over the past 30 years.
Yeah and that was an interesting era for our bowling stocks imo. I feel like the likes of Mills, Franklin, Martin, Tuffey etc have become a bit of a byword for mediocrity in the ensuing years but in fairness they were more like handy or promising performers who never quite kicked on. Tuffey and Franklin in particular had phases of looking like they would be legit good red ball bowlers and both faded away as serious bowlers well before they were even 30. Not sure if that says more about my youthful optimism about their abilities, mismanagement, or individual weakness.