• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* Official * 2022 Commonwealth Games Women's T20

ashley bach

International Captain
Fair effort today getting to within 3 balls, but really Aus were never in too much doubt, they just got too many guns to call upon.

Flem274*

123/5
Rowe batted 9 in both of our biggest two matches and didn't bowl a ball. WTF?
It has to be a disagreement between coach and captain surely.

Devine refuses to bowl her even when Jensen (this game) is getting smoked and bowling down leg. If Devine wasn't going to use her than another batswoman could have swung the game in our favour, though the biggest issue were the drops.

Gaze is very young but her keeping has a way to go. Sharp involvement in the run out tbf.

Figures don't show it but that's the best I've seen Jonas bowl. Very tidy for the youngster under pressure.

Tahuhu should have had 5. Big statement from her to the selectors.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It has to be a disagreement between coach and captain surely.
Yeah, I've got to be careful commenting when I didn't watch the game (nor the England bowling effort). I just wondered whether it was a spin thing and the pitch not suiting her, but Tahuhu went well.

One thing that women's sport needs to be very aware of is that if they want more exposure, more funding and generally a move towards more parity with men, is that they'll have to wear the analysis and criticism along with it (or they should). I am 100% for something near, resembling or actually exactly like equity in men's and women's sport. As we've seen with the All Blacks, the last 12 months of the NZ men's cricket team etc, when you get the public to buy into the highs and the investment emotionally and financially, you have to weather the lows of criticism when you get it wrong. Our netball team is not just being beaten, they are being thumped by teams we used to dominate. Our women's cricket team has fallen off a cliff. The Black Ferns rugby team seem to be on the way back up but they've been failing. But there still seems to be a cloak of immunity around these teams when it comes to depth of analysis and negative feedback, which to me doesn't make sense if you want the good stuff as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I've got to be careful commenting when I didn't watch the game (nor the England bowling effort). I just wondered whether it was a spin thing and the pitch not suiting her, but Tahuhu went well.

One thing that women's sport needs to be very aware of is that if they want more exposure, more funding and generally a move towards more parity with men, is that they'll have to wear the analysis and criticism along with it (or they should). I am 100% for something near, resembling or actually exactly like equity in men's and women's sport. As we've seen with the All Blacks, the last 12 months of the NZ men's cricket team etc, when you get the public to buy into the highs and the investment emotionally and financially, you have to weather the lows of criticism when you get it wrong. Our netball team is not just being beaten, they are being thumped by teams we used to dominate. Our women's cricket team has fallen off a cliff. The Black Ferns rugby team seem to be on the way back up but they've been failing. But there still seems to be a cloak of immunity around these teams when it comes to depth of analysis and negative feedback, which to me doesn't make sense if you want the good stuff as well.
I said the short version of this during the game this morning to my mate.

Women are finally professionals now, which is awesome, but it also means we need to take our catches and can analyse them like they're professionals.

I did wonder if some of the contracting was breaking up an Old Girls club when I saw the ball go repeatedly to Jensen (and Devine bowling herself). Jensen was having an off day, which happens. It looks bad on the scorecard, and it was insane live.

Rowe is both better and more talented than Jensen too imo. She's one of our few women pacers with genuine height.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rowe is both better and more talented than Jensen too imo. She's one of our few women pacers with genuine height.
And I understood that the new coach had recognised that potential and done quite a bit of work with Rowe as a project. Seems crazy not to use her at all.

I'm glad that they played better here than they did against England and they weren't disgraced (by the best team in the history of women's cricket, I might add), but at the same time this performance is so frustrating in many ways. I guess I'm just never satisfied.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I think the captain just didn’t trust her in a crunch game like this one, but I don’t know the internal issues behind it.

_Ed_

Much better start from Jensen in today's bronze medal match - gets Wyatt first ball!

_Ed_

That was a great start from Rowe. A couple of loose balls since then, but that's to be expected with how little bowling she's done lately.

_Ed_

Half the side gone in the first 10 overs! Credit to the Ferns - barely 12 hours after that deeply flawed fielding performance against Australia, they've come out and been bloody superb today. Proud of 'em.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunkley was really starved of the strike, very strange. Hard to get going in an innings like that.

Does feel like she's been a bit found out though, a real struggle against spin for her.

_Ed_

A little unnerved by the fact that England already have 20-odd more than we managed to score in that last game against them...