• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Stupid donkeys can't even win properly.

Though tbf Parra were always unlikely to drop down with their run home. Particularly if they play like that. Very strong.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thejuggernaut just rolls on. Five on the bounce and a comprehensive victory over a strong Broncos outfit playing on their usual Friday night with a seven day turnaround by our blokes coming off a five day break.

Top four here we come.
Broncos did not have a seven day turn around, we played on Thursday the week before. The difficult schedule was clearly the reason why we lost. :)

Parra were terrific, deserved the 2 points.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starting to get misguidedly excited about this year now. It's the hope what gets you. Fortunately don't have to pay for GF tix so when they don't make it can farm them off or just go anyway, get pissed and not give a ****.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The thought of Kenny Edwards and Nathan Brown winning a premiership gives me a bit of vommie, not going to lie. The thought of Jenko winning one calms it down a bit tbf.

I don't know how to feel about Parra this year. They've looked good in patches but have struggled to put away teams like the Tigers just a few weeks ago. They're week 3 material but if their 2nd half against the Broncos is their level now I could see them making the final.

On a related note us not getting a home game against you this year is an absolute travesty. A round 25 clash with Parra going for top 4 and a resurgent Penrith in finals contention on a sunny afternoon would have been amazing. Those kinds of events should be pencilled as staples like ANZAC day matches.

Burgey

Yeah agreed. Should be locked in every year.

Tbf Brown has been a revelation this year. Didn't think he had such goodfooty in him.

You'd be very happy with the current score line in the Souths-dragons game

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know how to feel right now. We've won 10 of our last 12 but haven't looked great. We've got some brilliant players but struggle to do the things you generally associate with great teams (build pressure, constantly threaten with set moves). Our defence and discipline are much improved, but I keep feeling like the hallucination is going to fade at any moment so I'm trying not to get excited despite us having close to the best record in the comp in the last few.

Burgey

Parra were terrible, but were due a performance like that tbh. Just didn't look up for it from the get go. Can still make the top four given their draw, but it will come down to beating Brisbane in Brisbane to get there. Probably looking at fifth in all reality, which would mean a home final week one against Cowboys, Manly or Saints most likely. Can't see Canberra getting there, they'll fall one win short imho.

Penrith will likely finish sixth, which given their start will be a decent enough effort. I still reckon they're building really well. They should definitely make it now, they probably want a loss before the semis as you can't realistically win 14 on the trot to get the premiership in this day and age. Really rate Cleary. He's a terrific kid.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll pass on the loss tbh. We win all 3 we likely end up in the top 4. I'd be happy with 2 wins though.

Cleary's a gun. Still one or two years off Origin imo. He still struggles to control a game which is the kind of halfback he'll need to be. Edwards is the real story in our team though. A big part of our improvement came from the fact that moving Moylan upgraded us at fullback and 5/8. The media is sleeping on him but he's going to be insanely hyped if he keeps playing the way he does.

Reckon losing Gutherson was the nail in your season tbh. Was thinking the other day, that guy has to have the biggest gap between how badly I rated him initially to how good he ended up being. Very good player.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yeah Gutheson is just a really good, solid player. Losing him pretty much stuffed Parra imo. He did that ****ing injury in the 80th minute of that game too. They had French out on Friday as well.

How good did Leichardt Oval look yesterday? Was up in the Hunter Valley but would otherwise have gone for a wander across to watch the game. It's a decrepit old ****box of a ground but for some reason Sunday arvo footy there just works a charm.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Leichardt Oval is great. It's good enough to get peninsula snobs to actually cross the bridge and watch footy with the rest of the city. Being a decrepit ****box of a stadium makes them feel like they're playing at home too.

Cheered the Tigers pretty hard yesterday as you might imagine.

Burgey

Yeah, about the only consistent thing in the NRL this year is melbourne being outstanding. Everything else is a week to week proposition tbh.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure which is more predictable out of the sun coming up in the east or the Gold Coast ****ing up another footy team

Burgey

I hear he went there with a view to joining Bernie Tomic on the pro tennis tour.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did NRL really need Jarryd Hayne back in the first place?
From what I gather, last year he was a commercial success for the Titans but not great on the paddock

This year has been a disaster on the field (not all his fault btw) and probably not great off it

Next year, he'll take up $1.2 million of salary cap that could arguably be better spent on at least 3 quality reinforcements

Burgey

Hayne is 29 now, so if he actually gave a **** and got fit he should be just about at the peak of his powers.

Such a frustrating player. Was responsible for the greatest sustained spell of form I've ever seen in any football code in 2009, and no one could play an entire career at that level without being head and shoulders the greatest player ever. But there are so many games when he just goes missing, which is why he can't be rated up there with the greatest players, who even if not at their best, usually have some impact on most every game they play. Hayne is well good enough to do that, but cbf, to his eternal discredit.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I read a pretty good quote attributed to Bennett which goes (roughly):

"If Inglis had the work ethic of Slater he'd be the greatest player of all time. But he doesn't, so he's not." I feel like that applies a hundred fold to Hayne. The guy is a prototypical example of someone high on his own talent but very low on work ethic.