• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offical Rugby League Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been many years since I have felt such anticipation for an average club game as I am about this evening. Parra's season basically starts tonight. They need to show they can go with Penrith, especially without Cleary, if they want to be taken seriously as contenders.

Kraken

International 12th Man
What a weird night of footy tbh. The dragons didn’t deserve to win, at all. The warriors threw that away. Parra a little unlucky, but tbh it just shows they’re behind the front 2

Burgey

Don't know if they're that find behind really. Pretty happy with the effort overall. Should have won, but was a quality game in hard conditions. Moses will cop it for the last kick, but tbh he kept Parra in the game by kicking Penrith to death in general play, mostly off his own line. If he didn't play they'd have run all over our blokes. Also happy they seem to have fixed the way they defend on the edges, thank ****. Big shout out to Tom Opacic - how the **** he got on the park in those circumstances is beyond me. Tough as.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i honestly don't mind blowouts. The Manly game today was really fun to watch.

As long as the top teams (eg Parra/Penrith last night) are putting on clinics then I'm happy.

I wouldn't mind it being more like the EPL, in terms of having 4-5 really powerful teams, if an outsider sneaks into the GF it means so much more. The trend since i've been watching of teams going from the strongest in the comp to the weakest (Broncoes and Bulldogs played in the GF the first year I started watching, '98, funnily enough) is weird to me.

So yes, ban the salary cap

Flem274*

123/5
**** i hate the warriors sometimes*

*every other week
i honestly don't mind blowouts. The Manly game today was really fun to watch.

As long as the top teams (eg Parra/Penrith last night) are putting on clinics then I'm happy.

I wouldn't mind it being more like the EPL, in terms of having 4-5 really powerful teams, if an outsider sneaks into the GF it means so much more. The trend since i've been watching of teams going from the strongest in the comp to the weakest (Broncoes and Bulldogs played in the GF the first year I started watching, '98, funnily enough) is weird to me.

So yes, ban the salary cap
what the ****? no. you'll kill the sport. footballs structure is awful.

and despicable sides like the storm don't exactly need more help bringing in the best talent. you really think all those ****s are settling for chump change? mate they'll be getting gifted properties in downtown melbourne or something equally dubious. the salary cap is already gone in practice and you're watching the result, it would be nice if they actually enforced the spirit of it.

mr_mister

**** i hate the warriors sometimes*

*every other week

what the ****? no. you'll kill the sport. footballs structure is awful.

and despicable sides like the storm don't exactly need more help bringing in the best talent. you really think all those ****s are settling for chump change? mate they'll be getting gifted properties in downtown melbourne or something equally dubious. the salary cap is already gone in practice and you're watching the result, it would be nice if they actually enforced the spirit of it.
yeah sometimes i just really enjoy huge scorelines. i love seeing lots of tries. loved watching the fox get 6 not too long ago.

and i didn't mind melbourne storm as the 'final boss' of the competition, i don't think it's that bad to have one team stronger than the rest. makes beating them eventually feel so much better. when the tigers beat panthers a few weeks back it was the most excited i'd been about a tigers win in ages. it felt like we'd won an important finals game. and it was a fairly one sided game too for that matter.

Shady Slim

International Coach
what grinds my gears is, nobody wanted this! ran rah we have to make the game more quick to give the little guys more space in an around the ruck...

who wanted that? i didn’t!

in fact

the killing of the george roses and sam kasianos is horrible for the game. now days every second rower is 6’2” 105kg all muscle. they’re all the same. homogenous. they’ve taken the character out of forward packs. every team used to have a fat guy - now all we have is junior paulo, who, even he is obscenely fit. terrible for the game

mr_mister

Hey that's my argument for teams not being all of equal strength! I liked when there good and **** teams, I don't want every team to be of equal strength and every match each week to be a coin toss as to who's the favourite

Also, Josh Papalis a chunky boy.

Flem274*

123/5
what grinds my gears is, nobody wanted this! ran rah we have to make the game more quick to give the little guys more space in an around the ruck...

who wanted that? i didn’t!

in fact

the killing of the george roses and sam kasianos is horrible for the game. now days every second rower is 6’2” 105kg all muscle. they’re all the same. homogenous. they’ve taken the character out of forward packs. every team used to have a fat guy - now all we have is junior paulo, who, even he is obscenely fit. terrible for the game
i like the 6 again rule but let's be honest, it isn't enforced evenly. the melbourne storm basically have a nap every tackle and they never get called for it. i swear i read something ages ago where the storm players actually have BJJ training sessions purely to learn how to be more annoying at the ruck.

Burgey

I think with the six again, it was just about perfect last year. But now there’s no scrum for a kick into touch etc, you basically take a huge part of fame management out of it. Halves would put a kick in to give their forwards a rest. Now it’s a hand over straight away. It’s too much.

Also, agree re Melbourne.Rarely called out on it, and tbh every side gives away six agains when they have the other team pinned in their 20 on a kick return - it’s no advantage at all - if you infringe in the ruck in your attacking 20, it should be a penalty to theside coning off their line, not six again. Would stop sides jamming in almost straight away

Flem274*

123/5
obligatory '****ing warriors' post. urgh, such a frustrating game.

it's also now just a penalty to swinging arm ****s to the face according to the ref in that game. weren't they carding blokes for less the other week? shambles.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't follow Rugby League, but did see in the headlines that Australia and New Zealand have pulled out of the World Cup on the grounds that the UK is an unsafe place to be with the current status of the pandemic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez. Has to be cancelled now?

I'd guess (with the possible exceptions of PNG & France) at least 50% (& that's a very conservative estimate...) of every other non-British side are made up of Aussies and Kiwis with parental or grand-parental connections to the country they represent too.

If, as one imagines, the pressure to withdraw has come from the NRL clubs (and I don't blame them, btw, just observing the real politik) I'm guessing the heritage players who earn their corn in the premier domestic league comp will face a lot of pressure to withdraw too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
RTS leaving league early. Huge loss for the Warriors and Kiwis. He played union as a kid so should do a better job than Benji Marshall.

Burgey

I'm guessing the heritage players who earn their corn in the premier domestic league comp will face a lot of pressure to withdraw too.
I want to be a fly on the wall when someone tells Junior Paulo he can’t go if he wants to

Flem274*

123/5
RTS leaving league early. Huge loss for the Warriors and Kiwis. He played union as a kid so should do a better job than Benji Marshall.
yea massive loss. warriors are ****in' toast.

a real shame we fluffed about with him on the wing while we had the combo because i really liked walsh at 6 and RTS at 1.

RTS should play 14 in the NPC for auckland, which is disgusting because **** auckland but you can't bring yourself to hate RTS. will be even worse if he clicks and the Blues purchased team adds RTS to their already stacked team that macdonald still can't win with.