• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Offical** Commentary complaints thread

wrongun

Banned
Grieg was awesome, probably my favourite commentator. If someone else came along with his style, I'd probably find it annoying, but it worked so well with him. Miss him
I miss Tony. I was genuinely sad when he passed away as was with Ritchie as well. They were a huge part of my childhood and why I fell in love with Cricket. I don't see anyone filling those shoes.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's less about excited, and more about genuineness. When Greig was excited, it's because he was legitimately excited. These ****s nowadays all fake.

Victor Ian

International Coach
It's less about excited, and more about genuineness. When Greig was excited, it's because he was legitimately excited. These ****s nowadays all fake.
This is more spot on than what I wrote. Today they force excitement when it is not there. While cricket is unfolding, I just need a description.

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, commentators should ideally just read and go with the excitement and flow of the game/moment imo, not try to inject excitement or try to project how they want the mood and/or atmosphere to be

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I was a bit on the fence about Smithy over the last couple of seasons, his own personal biases came through during the home summer (Bracewell GTFO) and was just punishing in general. Actually think his commentary gets better when he's surrounded by the international commentators as he genuinely believes NZ can win which was refreshing especially in the semi-final.

Loved that Ian Bishop and Ian Smith did the end of the final, someone called it after the NZ vs West Indies game that those two should just do all high pressure moments, absolutely loved listening to it.

Side note; did anyone else think it was weird that Michael Clarke called Colin de Grandhomme his man of the tournament (or top 3) during the English chase? I mean I love CdG but come on haha.

DriveClub

International Regular
Can I make an official complaint against *****? He was talking in a really low voice, could hardly hear him. Almost felt like he was scared of Howe punching him any moment.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved Isa Guha's commentary. She's the new Benaud IMO. Smacks it out of the park. She's what I want commentary to be - insightful, on topic and something that adds to the game rather than distracts from it.

Her genuine embarrassment after commentators cursing a player into getting out was a joyful moment in the final.

I also thought Ian Smith's commentary was good too, but from the "gets genuinely excited in the big moments". So much better to hear him commentate at the end than (For example) heating Brayshaw comment over the Cook ball, which is the worst, most annoying piece of commentary in living memory.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved Isa Guha's commentary. She's the new Benaud IMO. Smacks it out of the park. She's what I want commentary to be - insightful, on topic and something that adds to the game rather than distracts from it.

Her genuine embarrassment after commentators cursing a player into getting out was a joyful moment in the final.

I also thought Ian Smith's commentary was good too, but from the "gets genuinely excited in the big moments". So much better to hear him commentate at the end than (For example) heating Brayshaw comment over the Cook ball, which is the worst, most annoying piece of commentary in living memory.
More annoying than "not yet he hasn't?"

cnerd123

likes this
Can I make an official complaint against *****? He was talking in a really low voice, could hardly hear him. Almost felt like he was scared of Howe punching him any moment.
Parents were asleep in the next room. Ended up waking them up anyways once the game got tight. Glad I did so that they got to see that exciting conclusion :)