• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Double Century?

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
With more minow nations in the world cup than usual, what do u guys think the chance of someone racking up a 200 in the world cup is?
I mean if the likes of gilchrist, hayden, tendulkar, jayasuria get a bat agaisnt one of the really weak attacks (ie namibia, canada) they could be a good chance of reaching this so far untouched milestone.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i think it is a real posibility, Gilchrist has the best chance to do it i believe, as long as Australia bats first.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I think Gilly is a very good chance Ponting could also do it.

There are quite a few players around that could do it but its a very hard thing to do.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
I think Gilly is a very good chance Ponting could also do it.

There are quite a few players around that could do it but its a very hard thing to do.
Statistically Tendulkar is the most likely to do it, as he is the player who has the highest number of innings above 140 in ODIs...he has done it 6 times but I think its possible only if he opens the innings.... the next best statistically is Ganguly who has scored 140 and above 5 times with Lara and Jayasuriya each doing it 3 times in their career.

But I think anybody as good as Gilchrist, Tresco, Gayle, Gibbs,Hayden and others could do it as well.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes but considering how many ODI 100s Tendulkar has and the fact he has had many opertunitys to bat on small grounds its really not a supprising fact.

Your probably right It would have to be an oppener or an agressive number 3. For somone like Ponting to do it he would have to come in within the first 5 overs.

Thats the big advantage of being an oppener in ODI cricket.

Im looking forward to seeing Gayle play I have never seen him but just looking at his scores and commentry he looks really classy.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
alot of RSA grounds are small and if Aust dont lose wickets early that i reakon any of our top 3 could do it, though they would have to stay together, martyn might hold us up at 1 end a little if someone is going towards 200

Shewag and Jayasuria could also do it given good conditions etc

Simon

ive been thinking about this and now i dont believe anyone is going to challenge 200 in the WC. I have seen nothing from any international player recently to suggest that one of em could bat for 50 overs and score 4 runs an over themselves. Jayasuriya maybe, but i dont think hes fit enough anymore to bat that long.

Simon

i dont think he would have sustained that. there was very little pressure on him chasing a total like that. batting first you never see run rates of 10 per over kept up for that long.

Simon

i just cant it happening, there have been chances in the past to do it and it just hasnt happened.
if im wrong and someone does score 200 ill take everyones abuse.
(not that i would have much choice not to)

Bazza

International 12th Man
It would have to be an opener. For someone like Tendulkar at number 4, the chances of India losing two wickets against the likes of Namibia or Holland early enough to give him the chance to make 200 are nil. Also of course if he came in at 2 down for not very many he would have to be sensible to start with because if he played a reckless shot irresponsibly and got out India would be in real trouble.

Hence it has to be an opener - well there are plenty around:

Hayden/Gilchrist
Gibbs
Trescothick
Knight?
Gayle
Astle?
Sehwag
Ganguly?

Probably a couple of others I have overlooked. If you look at the top scores in ODIs, many of them have come against reasonable opposition so that makes it look possible. Gary Kirsten scored 188* off 159 balls against UAE in the 1996 WC in a total of just 321.

Ganguly got 183 off 158 against SL in the last world cup and at the time that was the 4th highest score ever. Dravid also got 145 you may recall (2nd wicket partnership of 318!), as they got a massive 373.

Ironically the two highest scores in 50 over ODIs have been against India, so whenever they are involved there is the potential for lots of runs. I wonder if the tradition for one massive innings in each world cup will continue. Also they tend to come when batting first for obvious reasons so that is a required condition.

Personally I don't think we will see a 200 but a 150+ is very possible. There have been only 27 of these still, yet 15 of them are by current players (ie they seem to be more regular), and 8 of them have been at world cups, so we should see one or two.

For me the grounds in SA tend to be large, although Agemaster said he thinks they are small? Can anyone give information/opinions on this because that will be important. There is only one really high score in SA that is by a guy called David Callaghan who got 169* vs NZ 9 years ago.

Bizarrely he never passed 50 in any of his other 29 ODIs, scoring 324 at 17! He bowled a few overs so looks like a bit of a mediocre all rounder, of course SA were just finding their feet then - the team contained Cronje, Cullinan, Rhodes, De Villiers. NZ had Fleiming, Parore, Rutherford, Crowe, Harris, Doull.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The grounds in SA are generally pretty big. If anyone was going to score a double century, I would bet on Herschelle Gibbs.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Gibbs can do it, against one of the minnows, or Jayasuriya...the man who just goes on and on when its his day.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bazzaroodoo said:
Personally I don't think we will see a 200 but a 150+ is very possible. There have been only 27 of these still, yet 15 of them are by current players (ie they seem to be more regular), and 8 of them have been at world cups, so we should see one or two.
Well... there are more ODIs played now, and there's a more aggressive game-plan.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Langeveldt
If anyone was going to score a double century, I would bet on Herschelle Gibbs.
I think that one of the South Africans could definately score a 200, seeing as they're used to the pitches, especially Gibbs or maybe Kirsten. Trescothick could do it, but he'd have to sort his feet out if he was!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
200 is a massive score in OD cricket at any level. I don't think we will see anyone score one in ODIs for a while, I really doubt we will see one in the WC.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Now my theory that SA has big grounds has been confirmed I definitely don't think we will see a 200 - there will be less boundaries than on average which will make it so much harder.