• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now is the time: Who is Pakistan's best batsman? Miandad vs. Inzamam vs. Younis Khan

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Mind, Miandad did struggle against the great West Indian outfit of that era (29.78). He also scored a lot of his runs against New Zealand, admittedly the Kiwis strongest era, and Indians. He performed reasonably well against England and to a lesser degree Australia also.

smash84

The Tiger King
Mind, Miandad did struggle against the great West Indian outfit of that era (29.78). He also scored a lot of his runs against New Zealand, admittedly the Kiwis strongest era, and Indians. He performed reasonably well against England and to a lesser degree Australia also.
nobody did exceptionally well against the WI of the time, with possible outliers like mohinder amarnath (who weren't great in general but played exceptional in WI)

S.Kennedy

nobody did exceptionally well against the WI of the time, with possible outliers like mohinder amarnath (who weren't great in general but played exceptional in WI)
Between 1976 and 1982, Greg Chappell averaged 52.63 v West Indies. 1976 - 83, Gavaskar averaged 56.57

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Inzie was the best. I'll prove it with science.

My job used to take me to all the West Indian islands in the 1990s. During the 92 and 96 World Cups, all the bars would be filled early in the morning with chilling rasta men and big, hardback Afro West Indians. A tv would be on with the game, everyone drinking and cheering for the West Indies. People would be eating their breakfast and cheering for Ambrose and Lara.

But the only other team West Indians supported was Pakistan - for some completely inexplicable reason - and the Pakistani batsman they all knew was "dat Inzie man". Every damn rasta in those bars wanted to watch "dat fella Inzie". I never figured out if Inzie was some kind of joke to them, or some kind of Legend. All I know is that on some of the tiniest islands in the world, there were legions of rasta men who worshiped Inzie.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Between 1976 and 1982, Greg Chappell averaged 52.63 v West Indies. 1976 - 83, Gavaskar averaged 56.57
Both Gavaskar and Chappell got the bulk of their runs against the windies when the attack hadn't quite become what it would be.

Amarnath I'd pretty much the only one who had a great series against the quarter at their peak.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, Gavaskar made most of his runs vs them in 1971 and 78 series when the quartet wasn't formed or were out with injuries and Chappell in 1976 when they weren't even close to their peak. Just goes to show how difficult it is to score against 4 atg quick bowlers.

S.Kennedy

Both Gavaskar and Chappell got the bulk of their runs against the windies when the attack hadn't quite become what it would be.

Amarnath I'd pretty much the only one who had a great series against the quarter at their peak.
45.00 for Chappell in Australia '79/80, v Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner. 50.50 for Gavaskar '83/4 in India (236 not out at Chennai, v Marshall, Holding and Roberts).

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohinder Armanath's record against the Windies is startling

against them from '76 to '88 which pretty much consisted of the Windies 4 pronged pace peak, he scored 1019 runs @ 59.5 from his first 19 digs, then 57 runs @ 5.1 from his last 11

what is the explanation for that?

S.Kennedy

against them from '76 to '88 which pretty much consisted of the Windies 4 pronged pace peak, he scored 1019 runs @ 59.5 from his first 19 digs, then 57 runs @ 5.1 from his last 11

Whatever it was, he should have bottled it up and sold it to the other batsman of that era!

Zinzan

Martin Crowe faced the Windies at their very best & averaged 45 with 3 hundreds in 7 tests.

First time a 4 Test away tour to the Caribbean when they were pretty much at their peak in 1985 & the 2nd time in NZ in 1987 when NZ managed to draw the 3 test series 1-1. IIRC Crowe scored 2 centuries and a 80 in the 3 tests.

The later great Malcolm Marshall said he found Crowe & Border the two toughest batsmen to dismiss in his time playing.

subshakerz

International Coach
Having followed his career, I always felt Mo Yo was the ultimate fair weather batsman. A high percentage of his runs were in drawn games and dull pitches. Few truly matchwinning innings under his belt. Mentally not very tough.

Saeed Anwar, on the other hand, was pure class and between 95-2000 was one of the best in the world. I always felt he never got his full due as his career was relatively short.

cnerd123

likes this
Inzie was the best. I'll prove it with science.

My job used to take me to all the West Indian islands in the 1990s. During the 92 and 96 World Cups, all the bars would be filled early in the morning with chilling rasta men and big, hardback Afro West Indians. A tv would be on with the game, everyone drinking and cheering for the West Indies. People would be eating their breakfast and cheering for Ambrose and Lara.

But the only other team West Indians supported was Pakistan - for some completely inexplicable reason - and the Pakistani batsman they all knew was "dat Inzie man". Every damn rasta in those bars wanted to watch "dat fella Inzie". I never figured out if Inzie was some kind of joke to them, or some kind of Legend. All I know is that on some of the tiniest islands in the world, there were legions of rasta men who worshiped Inzie.
CW needs more rasta man based analysis of cricketers

Uphill skier

Burgey

Martin Crowe faced the Windies at their very best & averaged 45 with 3 hundreds in 7 tests.

First time a 4 Test away tour to the Caribbean when they were pretty much at their peak in 1985 & the 2nd time in NZ in 1987 when NZ managed to draw the 3 test series 1-1. IIRC Crowe scored 2 centuries and a 80 in the 3 tests.

The later great Malcolm Marshall said he found Crowe & Border the two toughest batsmen to dismiss in his time playing.
Not in that order, obvs.

Burgey

45.00 for Chappell in Australia '79/80, v Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner. 50.50 for Gavaskar '83/4 in India (236 not out at Chennai, v Marshall, Holding and Roberts).
GC's stats in 81-82 don't quite make such good reading.

watson

Banned
GC's stats in 81-82 don't quite make such good reading.
Chappell still averaged 40.85 during the 1981/82 season thanks to his 201 against Imran Khan in Brisbane and 176 against Hadlee in Christchurch.

However, his 6 innings against the West Indies between those two scores were pretty ordinary - 0 - 6 - 12 - 0 - 61 - 7

On the plus side Chappell's overall average against the West Indies (not including his successes during WSC) is a healthy 56.00 over 17 Tests.

IMO Chappell remains one of the greatest batsman of all-time against real pace bowling despite a drop in average during the early 1980s due to a bout of Clinical Depression. Derek Underwood was his real nemesis, not so much the quicks.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Javed
Inzi
Younis

Younis the more consistent, of course, but Inzi more likely to frighten the best bowlers in the oppo so I'd be more likely to pick him in a Pak XI vs World XI game or something.