• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nothing...just Clowning around !

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
What in the hell does Amir Sohail think he's upto ? first of all I disagree with this strong and obtuse urge to rumble everything up whenever Pakistan dont perform. Appointing Amir Sohail as the chief selector is way way over the top, Now I am a great fan of the man when he went out there to bat, I am not sure weather he is capable of setting up a team for Pakistan.

Leaving out Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib, Saqlain, Saeed and Inzi...........better name the squad Pakistan A. THis is highly counterproductive and the only thing I see coming is him and all the other nincompoops running to the afore-mentioned after a disastrous sharjah cup. All this clowning around with the excuse "the senior players have played too much cricket, they should be sidelined" !! thats intelligent. When will they learn that a team can only progress with experienced hands guiding exhunerant youth ?!! I guess they wont.....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to the world of Pakistan selections. Surely they would learn after the mauling by Australia last time they tried the "pick loads of young players without any senior players to help them if they get into trouble" trick. But this doesn't surprise me. It does sadden me however.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Technically Sohail is right, while Wasim, Shoaib etc are good players they cause alot of conflict with their social activities & maybe these younger players will develop better without them around.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
anilramavarma said:
Hey Gotchya, shouldn't this thread be in the Cricket Chat forum rather than the WC forum.....?
well, a consequence of the WC.....but i wont have any complaints

Technically Sohail is right, while Wasim, Shoaib etc are good players they cause alot of conflict with their social activities & maybe these younger players will develop better without them around.
Shoaib yes. What about the rest. Without them around, I dont know what they will develop. I was enraged by the juggling around, many people here know though, what the end result is going to be. Wasim, Shoaib etc will ultimately find their places in the team. Later if not sooner.

krkode

State Captain
Honestly, that team is a bunch of clowns! :O j/k :P

But, really, I can't see Pakistan getting very far without Akram, Waqar, Akhtar, Inzi and Anwar. I simply can't believe how those people are not in the team...

You're right, Gotchya, better to call that team Pakistan A. :rolleyes:

It's like India dropping Tendulkar! It's like Sri Lanka dropping Jayasurya and Muralitharan! :O

It's now just like the Zimbabwean team with a bunch of nearly unknown new players and one or two oldies (Yohanna and Abdur Razzak)...:rolleyes:

yohanna

Banned
krkode said:
Honestly, that team is a bunch of clowns! :O j/k :P

That's a stupid remark really, considering you haven't even seen half of the squad ,yet are referring them as clowns.

I don't know why so much hue and cry is being made on the omisson of the senior players.Before the start of world cup everyone was of the opinion that atleast three senior players in W's and Anwar would retire immediately after the tournament, so now how can you blame the selectors for ignoring them??

Lets have a look at the omitted players,

Waqar--- Does he warrant a place in Pak team anymore? NO. In test matches he's hardly done anything worthwhile, while in onedayers he's hell expensive.Before the Indo-Pak match Pybus and senior players had requested Waqar to miss the match so that a better bowler in Sami can be played!! Must have been an embaressment for Waqar, still the guy wants to stick around!!

Saeed... Though he did fairly well in WC, yet we all know that Saeed is a shadow of a player he once was.Besides how long do you think he can stick around? atmost 6 months.I would say better try to establish the opening pair of Umer and Elahi in onedayers .

Shoaib--- I'm glad that the brat has been finally thrown out, though its unfortunate that the selectors have done that with the feeble excuse of "lack of fitness" rather than banning him on disciplinary grounds.Pybus,the manager Khan & the captain in Waqar have all complained about Akhter's behaviour during the WC.Its unfortunate that a fine bowler in Mohd Akram is serving a "One year Ban" for deserting the Pakistan team in a test match, while Akhter who has deserted the team on numerous occasions wasn't disciplined even once, instead he was pampered all along!

Inzi---Somethimes its better to give struggling player a break to sort out the mess.A Sohail has clearly said that Inzi has three years of cricket in him, Inzi can always make a come back .Its better to have a fat and inform Inzi rather than one who's close to cracking ( I'm sure Younis Khan would agree with me on this).

Akram---I don't agree with his omission .The bowling attack is very inexperianced with Razzak being the most senior bowler.I think the newly selected bowlers needs someone to guide them and Akram would have been the best man to guide them.But i guess since both Rashid and Miandad had bad experiance with Akram, his omission was on the card.

Saqlain--- Sohail said that Saqlain had been offcolor lately primarily due to the skipper' lack of confidence in Saqlain.If thats the case then Rashid should have given full backing to Saqlain to bring the best out of him.

I think only Waseem and Saqlain (of all the experianced players) should have been in the squad, without them the bowling is inexperianced and might go for 300+ runs on Sharjah.As for this squad being a "Pakistan A "team, well the team with seniors in it were only able to beat Holland and Namibia in WC, i don't see how this team can do worse!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
yohanna said:
That's a stupid remark really, considering you haven't even seen half of the squad ,yet are referring them as clowns.
Do you understand the meaning of "joke"?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Do you understand the meaning of "joke"?
Sometimes, humour doesn't cross race and culture boundaries that easily. I interpreted 'j/k' as 'just kidding', but it could well have meant something else.

I received a jokey email a couple of days ago containing the abbreviation 'NDC'. What does that mean? I haven't a clue. Anyone help?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Well that is true, mainly when it is about your team ;)
Tell me about it.

Derby lost 3-0 to No**ingha* F*rest (sorry, I cannot bring myself to type out those words correctly) on Wednesday. I daren't set foot out of the house just in case a Fo*est fan sees me. I'm stuck indoors for the forseeable future.

krkode

State Captain
Yes, it was meant to be a joke, Yohanna. I'm Sorry, if you were offended. Just going along with the topic name. I know many of those players are highly talented, otherwise they wouldn't even be on the team!

And yes, LE, j/k is supposed to be "just kidding" and even if one couldn't get that, I tried to reinforce the fact that I was kidding by using the authentic, "i'm kidding smilie" --> :P

Oh well, It's not like I haven't had to take a lot of trash concerning my beloved Ganguly...:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
I tried to reinforce the fact that I was kidding by using the authentic, "i'm kidding smilie" --> :P
In that case your kidding just about all the time :P

krkode

State Captain
Well sometimes I put it just to show the reader, or the person who's argument I was trying to refute, that I'm doing this in a light hearted way and things are NOT heating up on my side :P

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well, yesterday night Amir Sohail was on air, andl he came across in a very forthcoming and clear manner. I think I slashed at him unsjustly back here.

After such a team was announed, my pretensions were that this was a script that has been repeated many many times in Pakistani cricket. When they dont perform throw em out and humiliate them for say a tournament or two and then call them back and hail them as saviours of the team.

Anyway, the thing that Amir said last night was that the senior players were NOT ousted, they were being held at the wayside, and all these youngsters are being given a chance to show their Hunger/Potential for the game, so effectively Sharjah cup is not the aim of the selections, a much improved team is. Amir showed good solid knowledge of the game and its running, and I was wondering he wasn't the best choice for the job.

Wasim, Waqar and co are not out of the team if Amir's word is to be taken. He says that Pakistan are doing an 'Australia' as in back in 82. Also, he repeatedly said that the aim was to target Australia, the motto seems to be : "If we can beat them we can beat anyone", select a pool of players and develop them, the end result will be that for every slot in the team there will be 2-3 players competing, so when a player does get injured/ousted a good replacement for THAT position is available. Further, player development will be the main aim.

Also, one thing that goes in favour of the man is that he didn't bring anyone down. Accepted that Shoaib was a little arrogant but still he is a team man, Wasim is a a great cricketer who has serevd Pakistan cricket to no end, and there is Waqar, these people will not be forgotten, they are an asset and will be used accordingly.

Anwar was reportedly inclined to retire, but Amir requested him out of it.......so yeah I think we are headed in the right direction, there was a big misunderstanding on my part, hence this thread, I think its no clowning around, infact its better than anything I have seen before. Hope it works out.

Goodluck people !

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
yohanna said:
Waqar--- Does he warrant a place in Pak team anymore? NO. In test matches he's hardly done anything worthwhile, while in onedayers he's hell expensive.Before the Indo-Pak match Pybus and senior players had requested Waqar to miss the match so that a better bowler in Sami can be played!! Must have been an embaressment for Waqar, still the guy wants to stick around!!

Well yohanna, I dont know if we were watching the same cricket but you see ? the problem is that yes Waqar has aged a lot, but now is the time that he has been using all his experience, he is better bowler, and I am sure his economy has not been as bad as you say, remember who dismissed sehwag and Ganguly on succesive balls ? Waqar hasn't performed badly.

Saeed... Though he did fairly well in WC, yet we all know that Saeed is a shadow of a player he once was.Besides how long do you think he can stick around? atmost 6 months.I would say better try to establish the opening pair of Umer and Elahi in onedayers .

Well, I am not the only person who thinks that Anwar is a player up there with the best. He can perform and once the confidence is back I dont see him retiring for a good time. Further, if he can team up with Taufiq that sounds good.

Shoaib--- I'm glad that the brat has been finally thrown out,
though its unfortunate that the selectors have done that with the feeble excuse of "lack of fitness" rather than banning him on disciplinary grounds.Pybus,the manager Khan & the captain in Waqar have all complained about Akhter's behaviour during the WC.Its unfortunate that a fine bowler in Mohd Akram is serving a "One year Ban" for deserting the Pakistan team in a test match, while Akhter who has deserted the team on numerous occasions wasn't disciplined even once, instead he was pampered all along!

Why ban him ? why get on his back all the time sure he's benn expensive and all but he has won the few games that Pakistan have played last year. He is a team man who visibly gives it all, not to bowl 160 kph, but to get the team victory. But you are right, Shoaib had to be reprimanded for his attitude, Wasim and Waqar were there for that but never did it, not sure why.

Inzi---Somethimes its better to give struggling player a break to sort out the mess.A Sohail has clearly said that Inzi has three years of cricket in him, Inzi can always make a come back .Its better to have a fat and inform Inzi rather than one who's close to cracking ( I'm sure Younis Khan would agree with me on this).

Agreed, he's looked out of sorts, give him some breathing space.

Akram---I don't agree with his omission .The bowling attack is very inexperianced with Razzak being the most senior bowler.I think the newly selected bowlers needs someone to guide them and Akram would have been the best man to guide them.But i guess since both Rashid and Miandad had bad experiance with Akram, his omission was on the card.

Well, as things stand, this ommission should be

Saqlain--- Sohail said that Saqlain had been offcolor lately primarily due to the skipper' lack of confidence in Saqlain.If thats the case then Rashid should have given full backing to Saqlain to bring the best out of him.

He's bound to make a come back, but a point that Sohail made was that after the first 25 overs, the attack sagged a lot, partly due to the misgivings of Afridi and Razzak, Danish Kaneria has been sent to Sharjah so that he cna develop into a bowler who will provide you with wickets in the mid stages, thats that we have been letting teams of the hook, Australia and England games come to mind.

I think only Waseem and Saqlain (of all the experianced players) should have been in the squad, without them the bowling is inexperianced and might go for 300+ runs on Sharjah.As for this squad being a "Pakistan A "team, well the team with seniors in it were only able to beat Holland and Namibia in WC, i don't see how this team can do worse!!

Well, Sharjah has officially been labelled as a testing ground for this new crop, so I wont mind Pakistan losing, if it leads to something better.

and lol, you have a point !

yohanna

Banned
Most of the stuff that Aamir says sounds really good, just how much truth is in it remains to be seen. Waqar Younis has come up with a statement accusing the selectors of advising him to retire !! Waqar has been a great bowler and its really bad to see such a great cricketer being shown the door.I'm pretty much sure that we would not be able to see Waqar Younis in Pakistan team ever again!