• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Asian Representation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Slats4ever said:
because instead of playing sport they go to maths school and play computer games on the weekend. they have no interest in partaking in Australian sporting activities and our culture.
How tolerant of you...
What exactly is Australian culture?? You are aware that Australia is a nation made of immigrants...Aboriginal culture should be the real Australian culture, but most people would rather ignore that aspect of history. Instead, people like you associate Australian culture with white culture. In a nation of immigrants, their is no 'culture' anyone should have to fit in to. What is an 'Australian' sporting activity anyway?

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
There are only a couple of indian players out of over a billion that would make the aussie side.. how would any from a couple hundred thousand :)

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
How tolerant of you...
What exactly is Australian culture?? You are aware that Australia is a nation made of immigrants...Aboriginal culture should be the real Australian culture, but most people would rather ignore that aspect of history. Instead, people like you associate Australian culture with white culture. In a nation of immigrants, their is no 'culture' anyone should have to fit in to. What is an 'Australian' sporting activity anyway?
Shows how ignorant you are Dasa, you live in Australia and have no idea about Australian culture.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Scallywag said:
Shows how ignorant you are Dasa, you live in Australia and have no idea about Australian culture.
I have to admit that I have no idea about Australian culture either. I don't speak my local dialect. I don't know about the land and its history.

I don't even know any people of the Wurundjeri.

Dasa

Scallywag said:
If I'm so ignorant, explain your Australian culture to me.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
How tolerant of you...

on the contrary, Jason Gillespie is part Aborigional, and there are certainly alot more Aborigional people playing sport around the grounds than east asian. AFL is a pretty popular game up there you know.

Ian does have a point though (going off topic abit i know) but alot of east asian parents dont let their kids play sport. and dont partake at all in the local culture, they for their own mini commumities inside other communities and do their own thing. if you even suggest that they partake in other activities you get slammed as a racist etc etc

once the 2nd and 3rd generations come through they become much more integrated into the local communities and start taking part in events and sports. mainly because they want their kids to have the opportunites that their parents didn't give them.

ofcoruse this is all gross generalisation and there are plenty of exceptions.

by east asian im NOT refering to indian, sri lankan, pakistani etc who more often do play more sport - particularly cricket. and are keener to get involved in stuff

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
shounak said:
Well firstly, the reason you get Europeans like Kasper is that those Europeans are fully assimilated. Most of the cases their parents were probably born in Australia. After all, European immigrants came to Australia long before the Asians started. I very strongly doubt, however, that Kasper or Kato would know very much about the origins of their last name and cultures.

Asians simply don't play cricket in Australia. Of course a few may do, but the number is very small. I've played for numerous cricket clubs but have never had an Asian in my team. The Australian culture is multucultural, so this can't be attributed to any stigma or biases, just a lack of interest.

At my school the Asians were the ones captaining the Badminton, Table Tennis and Squash teams, it's just how it is.

We'll possibly see a change in 15 - 20 years, when Asians become more assimilated into mainstream Australian culture.

Any Aussies have anything to say?
I agree, Australia is still a young country, and with such a small population and the majority of the people from overseas coming to live Australia came when the White Australia policy was abolished. Asian families in Australia today value academic achievements more then sporting achievements.

Lets put it into perspective, a lot of Asian families came to to Australia about 20-30 years ago and quite a few coming to live in Australia in the 1990's, most of these people werent young. So when they came here they wouldnt have even heard of cricket so when they had children obviously cricket was not one of the things they encouraged their kids to play. This is different from the Australian families where the parents encourage their kids to play cricket, league etc.

I say give it time, Asians in due course will start playing cricket but as of this stage most Asian families do not know much about cricket because they were not brought up in it.

Shounak

Banned
Scallywag said:
I'm still interested in what you have to say about "Australian Culture"

I'm in eager anticipation...

Scallywag

Banned
shounak said:
I'm still interested in what you have to say about "Australian Culture"

I'm in eager anticipation...
Take your pick, and there is the Australian government website address at the bottom so you can find out for yourself all about the Australian culture.

Directory of Australian cultural organisations and resources

[ Browse by: category | location | audience ]

Arts & culture
Community Arts
Indigenous Arts, Culture and Heritage
New Media Arts
Performing arts
Galleries
Visual Arts/Crafts
Architecture and Design
Events & exhibitions
Exhibitions
Festivals and Events
Government & community
Government Organisations and Services
Organisations and Networks
Grants and Services
Grants and Services finder History & heritage
History
Built, Natural and Historic Heritage
Media, books & music
Film, Video and Interactive Media
Print, Radio and TV
Literature
Music
Reference & resources
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Science & environment
Science
Sport & fitness
Sport and recreation

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
That's because the nearest thing you have to one is Sir Les Patterson

Oh, oh, oh... And Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
And those guys who bend their gonads into the shape of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
That has to be 'culture' because it contains the word "Puppetry"

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair to Ian, I interpreted it as being the modern Aussie culture - not talking about the history of the country.

Dasa

marc71178 said:
To be fair to Ian, I interpreted it as being the modern Aussie culture - not talking about the history of the country.
Even if talking about modern Aussie culture, Asian culture is a part of that. A fast-growing ethnic group that is starting to influence the direction of the country further counts as part of the culture IMO. I don't see how anyone can see people of Asian descent aren't assimilating or don't play Aussie sports since the people ARE a part of the culture.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Thats a pretty race specific remark and harsh in my opinion with all due respect. There have been guys like Jono, Masterblaster of Asian (indian) decent in Australia studying or living from birth who I am sure enjoy playing and watching sports like others.
Thanks Pratyush, but I do think Slats (though I totally disagree with his remarks) was referring to Oriental Asians rather than sub-continental ones. As for me though, I love Aussie Rules football just as much as I love cricket! :D

Cloete

International Captain
To be honest I agree with the views of most of the people in here.

Being born in a different country myself means I can see things even clearer. What happens is people immigrate from different countries then live in little sects of cities and stay together. They generally just stick to the culture of their home land and don't adopt any traits considered to be "Australian Culture".

I've seen this happen on so many occassions and that's why Age's view is partiuclarly valid. I honestly don't think it's good enough to move to a different country and then just live exactly like you used to with exaclty the same people you used to. It's extremely difficult adatping, my whole family has gone through it, but it's only fair.

But like people have been saying, it takes a few generations before they start accepting Australia's culture. The best example of this is Sydney, where you can pick out suburbs that different racial sects live, i.e South East Asians in Cabramatta, Lebanese around Bankstown and Punchbowl and Greeks near The Sans(not sure if that's right, considering I don't live in Sydney :p).

In saying that, there are a few races who do make concerted efforts to get involved in Australian culture. Indians and Pakistani's definitely do it. Of course, I'm generalising here, but for the most part the generalisation is generally correct :happy:

Things will change over time considering how new Australia is and at the end of the day it is still a very multicultural coutnry.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
How tolerant of you...
Technically Australia's native culture is that of Wallaby, Dingo, Koala and Platypus. The Aboriginies migrated from Asia how ever many years ago - they were not the first people of the land, they just happened to get here first. I can assure you that if they had of they probably would have killed or fought to stay here (back then it was survival of the fitest). However, that does not excuse the way they were treated by the English whites when they got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.