• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

newbie in cricket

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Hi everybody. I ve always been a huge baseball fan (i'm not american by the way) but since few months i found myself interested in cricket. i understood most of rules but i have still a couple of question about this sport that i hope you guys woill kindly answer.
1) What happens if a batter hit the ball straight in front of him and the ball break ball wickets on the opposite side? Is the ball dead? Is the other batter out if off his crease?
2)can you please suggest a good book i can buy online about cricket history? I need a volume that can introduce me not only to the hisotry of the game but to major test matches in history, top players, their avarages, etc.
Thanks for your help.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Which bit of Europe? We've got a few other continentals...

1) The ball's still live, but the batsman isn't run out unless a fielder (usually the bowler) has touched it onto the stumps in his follow-through. Happens more often than you'd think.

2) Can't think of a single volume off the top of my head - have a browse through the CricketWeb Online Store and see what you can find, else just bung "cricket" into Amazon.com/.de/.whatever and see what you get.

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
Which bit of Europe? We've got a few other continentals...

1) The ball's still live, but the batsman isn't run out unless a fielder (usually the bowler) has touched it onto the stumps in his follow-through. Happens more often than you'd think.

2) Can't think of a single volume off the top of my head - have a browse through the CricketWeb Online Store and see what you can find, else just bung "cricket" into Amazon.com/.de/.whatever and see what you get.
1)But if the bails and stumps have been dislodged by that ball and the ball is till live how can you then try to put out a batter on that opposite side if the stumps and bail are already off?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you have to remove a stump (with the ball there as well) if the bails are already off to run someone out if that's what you meant.

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Scaly piscine said:
I think you have to remove a stump (with the ball there as well) if the bails are already off to run someone out if that's what you meant.

Yeah but what about if the bails and ALL the STUMPS have been struck down by the batted ball? You have a situation in which bails and stumps are all down so? Dead ball? Sorry for these starnge questions but i have always been the kind of guy that looks in the most unlikely rules, situations, events, as soon as i have learnt a new game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well surely if the bails and stumps were ruined then the batsman woudlnt run unless they were being suicidal

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
sledger said:
well surely if the bails and stumps were ruined then the batsman woudlnt run unless they were being suicidal

No what i thought if: if they decide to run (may be cos they are not aware of hit) there's not a way to get them out at the broken wicket cos stumps and bails are off.....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
cricnewbye said:
No what i thought if: if they decide to run (may be cos they are not aware of hit) there's not a way to get them out at the broken wicket cos stumps and bails are off.....
yes but all the same, if they did run then the bowler would just pick up theball and throw it to the other end hence, instant run out

a massive zebra

International Captain
cricnewbye said:
Hi everybody. I ve always been a huge baseball fan (i'm not american by the way) but since few months i found myself interested in cricket. i understood most of rules but i have still a couple of question about this sport that i hope you guys woill kindly answer.

2)can you please suggest a good book i can buy online about cricket history? I need a volume that can introduce me not only to the hisotry of the game but to major test matches in history, top players, their avarages, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the board. :)

For averages go to www.cricinfo.com or www.cricketarchive.com - always easier and more up to date than looking in a book.

History wise, beginners might like Peter Arnold & Peter Wynne Thomas - The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Cricket (Second Edition).

But if you want something more advanced I recommend...

ALTHAM, H.S. & SWANTON, E.W. - A History of Cricket (Allen & Unwin, 1948) A classic.

BIRLEY, Derek - A Social History of English Cricket (Aurum P., 1999) Highly-acclaimed survey of the game's place in English culture.

MANLEY, Michael - A History of West Indies Cricket (2002) Comprehensive and detailed study of the significant areas, personalities, achievements and failures of the West Indian national team, as well as the state of regional cricket at grass roots level. With an introduction by Clive Lloyd and fully updated for 2002.

BOSE, Mihir - A History of Indian Cricket (2001) The fully updated story of cricket in India examines the foundations of the game in the late eighteenth century through to the modern day achievements and challenges. The story, enhanced by Mihir Bose's knowledge of and insight into Indian society and culture, is also supported by a statistical appendix and averages for India's Test players

HARTE, Chris - A History Of Australian Cricket (2003) This 830 page book charts the history of Australian cricket from the early days of colonialism with a bat and ball, through the 1924-25 English touring party's hidden connections with British fascism,the 'Bodyline' series and up until the current dominance of the game by Ponting and his team.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
sledger said:
yes but all the same, if they did run then the bowler would just pick up theball and throw it to the other end hence, instant run out
The fielder, holding the ball, can put one of the stumps back, and then pull it out.

Camel56

Banned
Mate, good on you for being interested in cricket. Its a great sport and you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.
Cheers