• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand in Pakistan

smash84

The Tiger King
Not satisfied as they didn't give a tougher response.

Some posters who are trying to encourage bend over backwards attitude are naïve. There comes a time when Pakistanis have to stand for their country and this sudden departure based on bogus reports destroys reputation and credibility that Pakistan has been trying to built for years and what their people/army has paid to come out of tragic days of the past, and also all the hard work PCB has been putting through for years.

This was only politically driven so this deserves a response which will mean if you want to fool around then don't bother visiting. They cannot cheery pick when they perceive its safe and when it isn't when thousands recently who ran away from Afghanistan reached Pakistan safely and departed safely after spending days, and also all the tourist who have been visiting and experiencing a completely safe and fun journey.

I really hope in next NZ tour Pakistan just pulls out last minute before departure and just make up an excuse that based on Pak Intelligence they expect security threats since NZ has seen one of the worst attacks.
They will needlessly be shooting themselves in the foot with that. It would be foolish. Pak cricket needs the TV money and foreign tours get them that. I don't see how this helps.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'm not a particularly religious person but I would like to begin my post in these depressing times with some religious wisdom. Allah says that when someone works hard for something, he reaps the rewards for his hard work. There are similar notions associated with hard work in Hinduism and practically every culture. Western society lives by the feeble of hard work never going unnoticed and that someday rewards follow.

Pakistan and the PCB have put the hard yards in over the last decade to ensure that cricket returns to Pakistan. I will not elaborate as to the specificities of this hard work as everyone already knows about this. For all my friends worried about Pakistan going back to the dark days of the 2010s, I assure you, we have put in the hard work, we have improved our security situation. This was not all for nothing. No country, no power and no person can change the fact that Pakistan is much safer now than what it was a decade ago. And therefore, positive news will continue to come. Yes, there will be setbacks such as NZC and ECB pulling out but these will be temporary and will be outweighed by the advances we will make.

I've lived in Pakistan my entire life and I saw before my own eyes how the security situation drastically improved. I don't think this will go to waste.

For everyone who disagrees with me, I have some personal wisdom for you. This isn't based on patriotism but rather empirical evidence over the course of my life. Pakistan Cricket will not cease to exist because of this setback. In 2009, we feared the death of Pakistan Cricket. However, not only did we survive but we thrived. We won the 2009 WC, we became the Asian Champions, we held the Test mace, we won Champions Trophy and we had cricket return to our soil. Heck, we even had New Zealand's cricket team practice for a week in my hometown. You can call these things a fluke but they happened. Nothing can change that.

Cricket will be back. Mark my words.
Actually a good post.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
While I feel pretty bad for PCB and fans, I wish they would stop with the rhetoric of bringing up the mosque attack in Chch and their tour during Covid.

The mosque attack happened in Mar 2019, Bangladesh players were safely rushed out of the country and the 3rd Test was called off. "Pakistan were one of the first countries to tour after this attack." Blatantly not true, England, India, West Indies all toured NZ before Pakistan came in late 2020 during Covid - which they blatantly breached protocols while in quarantine while NZ was living in relative freedom.

You really gonna compare a one off attack by a non-NZer in a country which has a history of almost no terrorism to a country that has been rifled with it for years? Come on.

Really looking forward to the opening T20 WC game now though!
I don't really think this is the right comparison, FWIW. Also, NZ has had another terrorist attack before by a colonialist power. That part is not conspiracy. It is reasonable to suggest that it is a risk to tour NZ, and it is a risk to tour Australia or the UK. There is always a risk to be weighed up.

The point is that each country evaluates risk before touring and it is and will always be a unilateral decision to accept or decline that risk.

If Pakistan, while in NZ, had heard of a credible risk to their cricket team - e.g. from an extremist right wing dark net terrorist ring, they should unilaterally withdraw from the series. NZ withdrew from the series because their government advised them to leave.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
ECB pulling out is definately the case of politics. But I saw that SKY sports portion with Ex England women cricketers & Butcher saying Women's tour should have gone ahead.. One should have asked them this same Pakistan adminstration are backing Taliban & those who have taken women rights for a ride in Afghanistan. How is it fair?
Again blaming ECB NZC in this case is futile & one can feel for Pakistan fans & PCB as they are clearly paying the price of their foreign policy which is against the interests of West.

Kirkut

International Regular
If Imran Khan never said stuff like "Taliban occupation is a win over western civilization", five eyes nations would have shown more trust.

All that was needed was little diplomacy by keeping quiet...