• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah McCullum was a proper batsman with a perfectly competent defensive game etc... you don't score double and triple centuries around the world without that.

For the last year or so, I felt he just went into full "intent" meme mode and while it came off for him in that last match against Australia, it was a very low percentage approach considering his talent.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He played some truly absurd knocks in that period with that approach though, especially in tests oddly enough. The 190 odd vs sl, the double in the match after Hughes' death, etc.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah in that period his defensive game against test quality bowling was starting to fail him, which is why he started going full #intent. That innings against aus in christchurch was a prime example. Tried to defend a few rippers from Hazelwood, went "**** this" and started swinging for the fences.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
He mentions it in his book, says for the last year or so he was just mentally done and struggling massively. Definitely lines up with what we saw in his batting. Bit of a shame given how epic he’d been in the few years before, but I’m glad he went out with that innings against Aus.

Flem274*

123/5
what a team. ive never been more annoyed by a t20 series. losing is cancer and nz have it bad.

stead and whoever the mental skills coach is should have been fired after australia where the senior players quite obviously psyched themselves out.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Nothing's going to change guys... I was stoked by this bunch after the world cup but now I'm done with these guys. Need massive shake up, players, administrators, coaching and selection.

Flem274*

123/5
Dunno about you but the Boxing Day test was basically the pinnacle of the cricketing summer growing up in Australia. NZC should be pushing for it. We should be in a better position to compete in 2019 compared to the last tour, too, so it should be a corker.
haha hahahaha hahahahahaha ha ha ha ha..

*cries*

Flem274*

123/5
it's pretty weird atm. nz A have never looked better than they have in the past 3 years. they win games and when you watch the highlights you can see some quality players, but currently the senior side is determined to capitulate in the spotlight.

the ford trophy is easily a top 3 one day competition in the entire world. the proof? almost every player selected from it since 2011 has succeeded, but it still hasn't been enough.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cricket is so depressing to watch these days.
It's frustrating we keep losing so narrowly, in these limited over games. Getting pummeled by 200+ runs everytime in Australia was depressing. It would be depressing if we were losing T20Is and ODIs by 100 runs/9-10 wickets as well.

Things are kinda **** but way better during the post Fleming pre McCullum days aka the lost time of New Zealand cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
for all the gloom of those years, they did better than this lot on their two australian tours and did quite well in india given their ability as well.

this team would crush the 2008-11 side by an innings, but they've developed a serious flakey streak. newer players coming in and doing better than 50-100 test incumbents is a sign we need to fire some support staff and replace them with quality. we should start with the mental skills coach.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Yeah. Seems like the lack of quality in our depth, or the lack of depth...aren't the problems after all. The new guys seem to be doing better. And we all know the flakiness is coming from being told "hey dw player so and so-uthee, we've made up our mind about you and we'll give you the long long rope. Go out there and do whatever for 5 years.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Southee's ODI average peaked in that England game at 29.15 - the lowest since his 19th ODI when his average hadn't really settled. It's been tracking upwards ever since, and is now 34.

Conversely, after the WC during the tour of Aus, his Test average hit the height of 32.78. It's been mostly tracking downwards ever since then, and is under 30 for the first time since the West Indies series in 2014, which was the only time it was under 30 (deyboo excluded) - for one series.

His T20I average has also been trending upwards. Giving up ODIs and T20Is would probably be beneficial.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
NZ drops below Bangladesh in ODI ranks ( Dec 05 2012)

Cricket | NZ drops below Bangladesh in ODI ranks | Stuff.co.nz
Amid a messy public saga over the captaincy of the national team, the latest International Cricket Council rankings make for sobering reading - New Zealand has dipped below Bangladesh in the one-day international ladder.

New Zealand, on the back of a 3-0 series loss to Sri Lanka, occupies ninth spot, one below Bangladesh who are 2-0 up in their current five-match home series with the West Indies.

Only Zimbabwe, Ireland, the Netherlands and Kenya are ranked below the Kiwis, who are eighth of nine ranked teams in tests and also eighth in T20s.