• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Contract List 2011/12

Howsie

International Captain
Cricket: Astle possible bolter for annual contract - Cricket - NZ Herald News

In the reckoning: Derek de Boorder, Neil Broom (Otago), Brad Wilson, Daniel Flynn, Peter McGlashan (Northern Districts), Doug Bracewell, Ben Wheeler (Central Districts), Tim McIntosh (Auckland), Todd Astle, Dean Brownlie (Canterbury).
:-O Surely not.

But it did get me thinking and the twenty players I've come up with are: Hamish Bennett, Trent Boult, Neil Broom, Dean Brownlie, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Andy McKay, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson and Reece Young.

With Brent Arnel, Grant Elliott, Gareth Hopkins, Tim McIntosh, Jeetan Patel, Darryl Tuffey, and B.J Watling missing out from last year.

In all probability Tim McIntosh will most likely pick up a contract over one of the three of Broom, Brownlie and Flynn but I just couldn't split them so included all three of them on my list instead.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd probably just swap Brownlie for McIntosh from what you listed.
McGlashan should really be in the T20 team too.

Flem274*

123/5
That article pretty much copy-pasted the NZ A squad as possible bolters. NZ A players contract possibilities? Surely not NZ Herald, surely not.

Flem274*

123/5
I'd probably go with (in no particular order)

Martin Guptill
Brendon McCullum
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor (captain in all formats)
Jesse Ryder
James Franklin
Daniel Vettori
Reece Young
Tim Southee
Hamish Bennett
Chris Martin
Jacob Oram
Scott Styris
Neil Broom
Tim McIntosh
Peter McGlashan
Kyle Mills
Trent Boult
Nathan McCullum
Andy McKay
Wouldn't pick Brownlie. Not for limited overs anyway (which is what I've seen him play). I can't really see what makes him so special other than he averages 48 after 14 FC games, but there's plenty of NZ domestic players who have started with a hiss and a roar only to fade away. He doesn't look overly solid and I think that average will start dropping.

Plus he's Australian. Can gagf.

Howsie

International Captain
Crunch time for top 20 NZ cricket contracts | Stuff.co.nz

Rob Nicol is expected to be rewarded for a stellar domestic season while young guns Trent Boult, Adam Milne and Doug Bracewell could be fighting it out for a contract as New Zealand Cricket prepares to unveil the names of its top 20 players for another year.
Doug Bracewell is obviously rated really highly by New Zealand cricket and rightfully so, but I hope they don't feel the need to rush him into international cricket because of the type of cricketer he is and might be in the future. He's still got along way to go with both disciplines at this stage - his bowling numbers are still rubbish even if they don't reflect how good of a bowler he is now compared to three years ago.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Canterbury haters. Brownlie should be on there if he's in the plans for this season, if he's not then he shouldn't. I'd go similar to Flem's list with Nicol and Brownlie.

Obviously Styris has retired so that's 1 less contract.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Vettori having some time off the limited overs stuff, it'll be interesting to see who's in the plans as ODI spin options.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With Vettori having some time off the limited overs stuff, it'll be interesting to see who's in the plans as ODI spin options.
McCullum and Woodcock, I imagine. Don't really think Woodcock will get a contract but he probably has more chance of playing for NZ this year than Boult.

Mike5181

International Captain
ODI
1.Brendon McCullum+
2.Martin Guptill
3.Jesse Ryder
4.Ross Taylor
5.Kane Williamson
6.James Franklin
7.Jacob Oram
8.Nathan McCullum
9.Kyle Mills
10.Tim Southee
11.Hamish Bennett

Reserves:
Mckay
Nicol
Woodcock

Test
1.Brendon McCullum
2.Martin Guptill
3.Kane Williamson
4.Ross Taylor
5.Jesse Ryder
6.Neil Broom
7.Daniel Vettori
8.Reece Young+
9.Tim Southee
10.Andy Mckay
11.Chris Martin

Reserves:
Mcintosh
Franklin
Bennett
Boult
Brownlie

T20
1. B McCullum+
2. M Guptill
3. J Ryder
4. R Taylor
5. R Nicol
6. K Williamson
7. J Oram
8. N McCullum
9. K Mills
10. T Southee
11. H Bennett

Reserves:
McGlashan
Mckay
Franklin

Contract list: Ross Taylor, Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, Tim Southee, Jesse Ryder, Kane Williamson, Andy McKay, Kyle Mills, Daniel Vettori, Chris Martin, Hamish Bennett, Reece Young, Jacob Oram, Nathan McCullum, James Franklin, Neil Broom, Tim Mcintosh, Daniel Flynn/Dean Brownlie, Rob Nicol, Trent Boult.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
NZ could have the oldest new ball attack in years if Ian O’Brien makes a successful comeback. O’Brien turns 35 next month while Chris Martin is 37 in December.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NZ could have the oldest new ball attack in years if Ian O’Brien makes a successful comeback. O’Brien turns 35 next month while Chris Martin is 37 in December.
Did Heath Streak's brief international comeback coincide with Gary Brent's? Not Tests I know, but still.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Yeah certainly saw him look pretty nervous in his first few internationals.
He seemed to change mentally after he got that first hundred, though. Became much more composed. I'd say he needs a couple of years to get the confidence at the highest level.