• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
I have a gut feeling NZ will do very well in this WC
perhaps even win it!
Just a gut feeling no theory behind it watsoever

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've got a chance. But we always say that, especially after playing well in the first round.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I just hope the chopping and changing stops and they settle on a line up who can get some sort of team dynamic together.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I think we can do well in this WC, but I doubt we could win it. If Bond, Astle, Fleming, Styris etc fire we could do quite well..

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I think that a whole lot of people around the world are underrating our ODI team at the moment. I have now come to expect a win against any team that we play against except Australia, and then I'm eternally hopeful that the anything-can-happen-on-the-day thing of ODIs will get us through.

On a completely different note, is the layout of this forum (the WC one, not CW in general) going to stay as it is now during the World Cup? Wouldn't it be better to have one thread for each group, rather than having individual nations threads?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope that the selectors confirm a lineup and stick with it for the ODI series we play between now and the 2007 World Cup. Chopping and changing willy-nilly like we did through the Sri Lanka and West Indies series needs to stop so a team can get some momentum and confidence in each other.

Bond is the key for 2007. Pretty obvious but if he is injured, then basically our chances of doing well are nil. Patel could also play a role through the middle and end of an innings. Fleming needs to get some runs and form under his belt, he only keeps his place because he is the captain, he needs to stop scoring 5-25 runs for about 6 games and then get a 70 to say he is in form.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Perm said:
Bond is the key for 2007. Pretty obvious but if he is injured, then basically our chances of doing well are nil.
Surely not nil? Obviously we would be severely weakened, but in the last test our second stringers did an admirable job of filling the breach.

Note to Blaze: your avatar freaks me out :unsure:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I agree with Perm, Bond holds the key, if he is injured, we simply don't have a world-class wicket taker in our lineup who's capable of taking say 4-25 from 10 overs, so how could be possibly think of winning it?

If he is fit, along with Vettori, a more experienced Mills, and Oram/Styris/Astle we have a prety good attack for WIndies conditions. Jeetan Patel also seems to be starting to prove himself at international level.

That bowling attack also makes our batting very strong. I would see our team being something like this:

Fleming
Vincent
Astle
Styris
Taylor
Marshall
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

Blaze

Banned
James said:
Fleming
Vincent
Astle
Styris
Taylor
Marshall
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
That is a bowler light IMO... With only Bond Mills and Vettori being front line bowlers. I would have Patel in there for Marshall.

Blaze

Banned
James said:
Oram was a frontline bowler before he got injured though wasn't he?
He was coming on second change... I guess you would expect him to bowl 10 overs but he has hardly been that reliable since his comeback from his last injury.

With your side Oram, Styris and Astle have to bowl 20 overs between them.

I would say Styris is good for 6-8, Oram 8-10 and so that leaves Astle with 2-6 overs.

That's fine, but what if one of those guys gets hit out of the attack? Who do we turn to then?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
James said:
Fleming
Vincent
Astle
Styris
Taylor
Marshall
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

Nice, but if I may :sleep:

Vincent
Astle
Fleming
Fulton
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
Mason

Patel
How
Marshall
Taylor

Blaze

Banned
Taylor has to be in the starting XI...He is the man.

Speculating now is kind of pointless though, particuarly as we have the VB series before the World Cup which will basically be a world cup trial for the fringe players.

Tuffey might come back into the picture if he is fit in time for the VB series and does well...

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
Speculating now is kind of pointless though, particuarly as we have the VB series before the World Cup which will basically be a world cup trial for the fringe players.
Yay! Hopefully they might have some more "experimentation" next year. What fun!

James

Cricket Web Owner
With us playing England in the VB Series, and then England being in the same group as us in the World Cup, I hope we don't give England too much of a look at Shane Bond and Daniel Vettori.

Should be one of the best VB Series in many years.

Ming

State 12th Man
I agree, Riss Taylor has to be in there at #3 to take advantage of the PP overs. Either him or McCullum needs to be in the top 3.

I think we can rely on Styris and Astle to make up 10 overs as the 5th bowler easily, and Oram has come back well so far in this Test match bowling tight lines. I think he will be able to occupy the role of 3rd seamer and his full 10 overs.