• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 30 man squad

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'd also like to see us play Patel and Vettori against South Africa in the 1st match.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
James said:
You're kidding me aren't you? That's too weak batting wise for me, and we must play Oram.
Bats down to 8, for me. Mills can hit a few sixes, but I wouldn't rely on him too much to be honest.

Why must we play Oram? He's been injured so we don't really know whats going on with him and Styris does a better job at finishing an innings anyway.
Plus Styris and Astle can share bowling duties if nothing's going right.
Patel and Vettori for subcontinent pitches, Gillespie to keep it tight at the end, Bond being Bond and Mills bowls pretty decent early in the innings (but crap at the death).

Styris could easily come in for Patel.

Our philosophy should be to try and bowl out the opposition for under 250 instead of stacking the side with batsman to chase a total around 300 because we've bowled poorly.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fulton & Marshall in particular will be under the gun in this tournament. They will each need at least 1 substantial score of 50+. If they can't do that then it's most likely Ross Taylor will get a chance in the next series against Sri Lanka.

I think Astle will need to prove his form too considering how woeful he's been for Lancashire.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Bond, Oram & Mills are all over their injuries apparently. They're giving Styris a week to show improvement.

NZTailender

If Oram does play I hope it is as an all rounder as that article says. Batting at 7 and as the 5th bowler.

A change on my side posted earlier...

1. N Astle
2. L Vincent
3. S Fleming
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall/S Styris
6. B McCullum (wk)
7. J Oram
8. D Vettori
9. K Mills
10. S Bond
11. M Gillespie

Playing Styris and Oram together could be overkill. HOWEVER, if Mills bowls fairly ordinary stuff or is injured, then I think it could be justified and the team would be more even.

donaldduck

Cricket Spectator
i would have thought the team picked itself.

1, Vincent
2, Fleming
3, Astle
4, Fulton
5, Styris
6, Oram
7, McCullum
8, Vettori
9, Franklin
10, Mills
11, Bond

first variation for more batting bring Marshall IN and Mills OUT.
and 2nd, on turning pitch Patel IN and Mills OUT.

Apparently Gillespie is Bond's understudy so not sure if they will play both of them together.

NZTailender

donaldduck said:
Apparently Gillespie is Bond's understudy so not sure if they will play both of them together.

I desperately hope they do play Bond and Gillespie together.

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
donaldduck said:

1, Vincent
2, Fleming
3, Astle
4, Fulton
5, Styris
6, Oram
7, McCullum
8, Vettori
9, Franklin
10, Mills
11, Bond
Im not really a fan of Franklin in the ODIs, sure you get his extra batting but I'd rather be chasing a lower total.
Heres mine..
1.Vincent
2.Astle
3.Fleming
4.Fulton
5.Marshall
6.McCullum
7.Vettori
8.Mills
9.Bond
10.Patel
11.Gillespie

I know its pretty similar to some other ones, I just like the idea of Vettori and Patel working together in the middle overs and maybe having Patel around at the death too. Astle provides a good backup bowler too, I just dont feel Orams batting in ODIs warrants his inclusion in a batting position and I also want to give Gillespie a crack.

Last edited:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
donaldduck said:

1, Vincent
2, Fleming
3, Astle
4, Fulton
5, Styris
6, Oram
7, McCullum
8, Vettori
9, Franklin
10, Mills
11, Bond

first variation for more batting bring Marshall IN and Mills OUT.
and 2nd, on turning pitch Patel IN and Mills OUT.

I don't quite see how Franklin and Oram pick themselves. In tests, yes, but they've both got atrocious ODI records.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
thedarkmullet said:
Im not really a fan of Franklin in the ODIs, sure you get his extra batting but I'd rather be chasing a lower total.
Heres mine..
1.Vincent
2.Astle
3.Fleming
4.Fulton
5.Marshall
6.McCullum
7.Vettori
8.Mills
9.Bond
10.Patel
11.Gillespie

I know its pretty similar to some other ones, I just like the idea of Vettori and Patel working together in the middle overs and maybe having Patel around at the death too. Astle provides a good backup bowler too, I just dont feel Orams batting in ODIs warrants his inclusion in a batting position and I also want to give Gillespie a crack.
That's too light on batting IMO. I know that Vettori, Mills, Bond and even Patel aren't mugs with the bat, but would you really feel confident if we needed say 50 off 50 and had 6 wickets down?

thedarkmullet

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sir Redman said:
That's too light on batting IMO. I know that Vettori, Mills, Bond and even Patel aren't mugs with the bat, but would you really feel confident if we needed say 50 off 50 and had 6 wickets down?
You have a point, I guess thats where Styris or Oram would come in handy. Back in the day I would have been sweet knowing that Cairns was there to keep the run rate up at the death....I'd still like to see them have a go with experimenting in the bowling order. Its gotta be important to have back up for when Bond breaks down halfway thru the world cup.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Would a side really be more likely to win needing 50 from 50 with only 4 wickets left?
If our lower order looks like this (likely side IMO, though not what I'd pick):
7) McCullum
8) Franklin
9) Vettori
10) Mills
11) Bond

Then we should cruise home. Even if we replaced Franklin with Gillespie or Patel then I'd still back us to win.

EDIT: Oh, and if we've got someone from the top order still in - say Astle or Fleming who have done it plenty of times before - then it becomes far easier.

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Dissapointed Ryder and Taylor arent there .......But, on the plus side, a new face in Gillespie.

Last edited: