• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New guys in the mix for the 2023 World Cup

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I know its not exactly fitting for the 2019 WC section but who are guys that arent at this tournament but are chances to feature in JAMODIs with the eye on the next cup.

Im not exactly looking for names like Josh Hazlewood who has been injured, more like Ashton Turner who has had a small taste or Cam Green who GoodAreas thinks will debut within 18 months. Oh im interested in names from any/all of the 10 countries.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's this up and coming Pakistani called Shahid Afridi I've heard of. Big hitting batsman who bowls leg spin. I think he's going to be in their next under 19 World Cup squad with a view to progressing to the full side after that.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Pucovski will definitely be in an Australian shirt before too long. Of other uncapped Aussies, Josh Phillippe and Riley Meredith could also be possibilities in the medium term

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't Pucovski more a longer format player

I agree re Cam Greene. Already has immense t20 experience, excels at tight bowling

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't Pucovski more a longer format player

I agree re Cam Greene. Already has immense t20 experience, excels at tight bowling
That's probably Chris Green you are thinking of, I would agree that he is a pretty good limited overs player himself.

As for Pucovski, he is already in the Aus A limited overs squad despite not being in the Victorian JLT cup team, so it seems clear he is getting the full PONI treatment

McDermott will be likely getting a few more chances post WC

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tom Banton is a wicketkeeper-batsman who has hit some one day centuries for Somerset. A lot of hype about his talent, I expect him to get a full season in the T20s this year so we’ll see how he goes.

Borges

International Regular
Ruturaj Gaikwad has done very well for India A against a fairly strong Sri Lanka A team (187* @137, 125* @133, benched, 84 @142).
Yet another opening bat to keep an eye on.

mr_mister

Tom Banton is a wicketkeeper-batsman who has hit some one day centuries for Somerset. A lot of hype about his talent, I expect him to get a full season in the T20s this year so we’ll see how he goes.
Isn't the role of English wicketkeeper already an oversaturated market. Arguably their two best short form bats are keepers

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
For Sri Lanka, nothing much.

- Lahiru Kumara - right arm, genuinely fast, and troubles batsmen off his short stuff. Ideally he should be playing THIS world cup
- Kamindu Mendis - left hand middle order bat, ambidextrous finger spinner
- Oshada Fernando - top order batsman, who is more competent against pace.
- Vishwa Fernando - left arm fast medium, very accurate. Once again should have been selected over Kasun Rjitha or Nuwan Pradeep.

Notice there is no mystery spinner coming up. That is VERY odd with Sri Lanka.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is Oshado Fernando the bat who goes by BOP on scorecards?

Besides Phillippe and Meredith, I think Bryant and Sutherland should get chances.

MrPrez

International Debutant
For Sri Lanka, nothing much.

- Lahiru Kumara - right arm, genuinely fast, and troubles batsmen off his short stuff. Ideally he should be playing THIS world cup
- Kamindu Mendis - left hand middle order bat, ambidextrous finger spinner
- Oshada Fernando - top order batsman, who is more competent against pace.
- Vishwa Fernando - left arm fast medium, very accurate. Once again should have been selected over Kasun Rjitha or Nuwan Pradeep.

Notice there is no mystery spinner coming up. That is VERY odd with Sri Lanka.
To be fair, I Reckon Kamindu Mendis being ambidextrous is a mystery-spinner equivalent. Pretty surprised he's not at the WC, looked alright vs SA.

For SA: Lutho Sipamla, Wiaan Mulder, Matthew Breetzke. Qeshile perhaps but will probably favour the longer format.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For SA: Lutho Sipamla, Wiaan Mulder, Matthew Breetzke. Qeshile perhaps but will probably favour the longer format.
Van Tonder, Makwetu, Coetzee...... Bryce Parsons, Marco Jansen (have not seen the last two but hearing good things)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Marco Jansen looks a real good prospect from what little I have seen, but also looks like a stiff breeze could snap him in half. Built like Bruce Reid

stephen

Is Oshado Fernando the bat who goes by BOP on scorecards?

Besides Phillippe and Meredith, I think Bryant and Sutherland should get chances.
It's hard to say. All 3 are PONIs but someone like Maddinson goes to show that young guys can take a very long time to live up to their potential.