• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neutral Umps In ODI's

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
In test matches all 4 umpires must be neutral. This is to avoid any cheating ahem...Shakoor Rana......ahem in the game. My question is this if they don't want cheating in ODI's either why don't they employ both neutrals for them too? Also I feel it quite pointless having more than 2 pitch umpires per series, surely they will not tire, so why?

Hala

Cricket Spectator
Armadillo said:
In test matches all 4 umpires must be neutral. This is to avoid any cheating ahem...Shakoor Rana......ahem in the game. My question is this if they don't want cheating in ODI's either why don't they employ both neutrals for them too? Also I feel it quite pointless having more than 2 pitch umpires per series, surely they will not tire, so why?
I think for the major tournaments (WC and Champions Throphy) the rules for ODIs is 2 neutral umpires, but considering there is so much insignificant and meaningless ODI cricket played nowadays its probably considered not a big deal if there isa bit bias in some meaningless round robin match for a meaningless triangular series.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Surely the ICC can not use that as an excuse for the simple fact that they have to give the impression that they treat every match seriously.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Definition of neutral umpires :
The umpire should not be from the batting side,
the umpire should not be from the fielding side
and the umpire's name should not be Steve Bucknor
8-) .

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The one home umpire in ODIs ought to remain IMO, as it gives younger less established umpires the chance to perform on the world scene, and doesn't create a closed shop.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I don't care where the umpire is from as long as the best possible umpire is there for the match. They should be professional enough to be unbiased.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And the fact is they are.

Some people just can only see decisions that go against their team.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

Yes. you are right but sometimes it happens so often in the same game it really stands out.

Yet again today. Gillespie was out caught at short leg, Bucknor turned down the appeal but Gillespie walked. Now as India started, Sehwag a big inside edge (the ball moved about five inches inwards from bat edge before hitting the pads and Billy gave him out. It was a shockingly poor decision.

Yes its no one's case that Bowden is biased but it really rankles when it is so bad a decision.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
The one home umpire in ODIs ought to remain IMO, as it gives younger less established umpires the chance to perform on the world scene, and doesn't create a closed shop.
But surely this is not the only way that umpires can come through on to the scene. Even so you can not send out an inexperienced perhaps slightly immature umpire to an international match, perhaps a domestic match.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

Is that comment directed at me? I find it highly insulting if it is. Maybe I am a bit more disappointed because many decisions have gone against India, however, I'm certainly no one-eyed nationalistic supporter who is convinced the umpires have a hidden agenda against India.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dasa said:
Is that comment directed at me? I find it highly insulting if it is. Maybe I am a bit more disappointed because many decisions have gone against India, however, I'm certainly no one-eyed nationalistic supporter who is convinced the umpires have a hidden agenda against India.
I'm fairly certain it wasn't.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Armadillo said:
But surely this is not the only way that umpires can come through on to the scene. Even so you can not send out an inexperienced perhaps slightly immature umpire to an international match, perhaps a domestic match.
You want umpires to make their International debuts on the other side of the world?

FRAZ

International Captain
Yup , Otherwise India was at the top of the game ever since first ball of this test was bowled .

Waughney

International Debutant
Dasa said:
I don't care where the umpire is from as long as the best possible umpire is there for the match. They should be professional enough to be unbiased.
Agree.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
The thing that ****es me of is that some batsman walk when they've hit it and not been given out but on another occasion they may be blatantly not out (like Lara against England or Sehwag today) and be given out yet they can do nothing about it.

From general observation, the home umpires for ODI's seem to do a decent job but i agree it would make sense to have the same rule as in tests

Waughney

International Debutant
Dar said:
The thing that ****es me of is that some batsman walk when they've hit it and not been given out but on another occasion they may be blatantly not out (like Lara against England or Sehwag today) and be given out yet they can do nothing about it.
That's just the way the cookie crumbles....

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
You want umpires to make their International debuts on the other side of the world?
Obviously not, I was thinking more domestic cricket, I think there should be some kind of umpire scout that go around the domestic scene.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Armadillo said:
Obviously not, I was thinking more domestic cricket, I think there should be some kind of umpire scout that go around the domestic scene.
So, you don't want them to debut at home, or abroad?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Should it be the 3rd umpire who makes the lbw and caught behind decisions? With all this technology like hawk eye which never gets used in the match situations by the umpires, should technology be used?

Lets take for example an lbw shout, the 3rd umpire could perfectly analyse whether the ball pitched in line, and could then tell if it was going to hit the stumps - using hawk eye. However, the batsmen should be given the benefit of the doubt if it would have just clipped the bails, or hit leg/off by a mm or two.

Surely getting the decision right and ending with a fair winner is more important than the umpires authority. In this Ind vs. Aus match there have been many poor decisions which have effectively decided the match.