• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Neil Harvey vs Ken Barrington

Harvey or Barrington?

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Been watching a bit of these lovely old ****s. Who is the better post WWII to Professional era (1945 -70) bat (Weekes and Sobers are the absolute best for mine)?

Should be Barrington I think. Even though Harvey seemed to strike the ball a bit better, compared to Barrington's style. Still weight of runs wins it for mine.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Been watching a bit of these lovely old ****s. Who is the better post WWII to Professional era (1945 -70) bat (Weekes and Sobers are the absolute best for mine)?

Should be Barrington I think. Even though Harvey seemed to strike the ball a bit better, compared to Barrington's style. Still weight of runs wins it for mine.
The bloke who hadn’t lost it by age 27.

Barrington is clearly above Weekes for me too, mainly cashed in at home and against some weaker attacks.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harvey has a much longer career and faced better bowlers on the whole but I don't think he did much in an Ashes series in England after England's bowling recovered from the War. Barrington has a great series against Davo down under I think.

Also, I don't think it's coincidental that both Harvey and Morris rapidly declined in the mid 50s after Trueman, Statham, Loader etc came to the fore for England and Adcock, Tayfield and co stepped up for SA.

While the raw numbers make this seem a lot less close than it is, it's still Barrington I think.

BazBall21

International Regular
65 minimum. Weekes is destructive and remorseless. Would have murdered India/Pakistan just as much as he did in the 50s. Would have been more prolific against Australia than in his non-hypothetical life and plundered New Zealand into oblivion etc. Wouldn’t have had to play South Africa of course but hypothetically I think he would have done better than Barrington did against them anyway. I'm also going to say he might well have beaten Sobers' 365 on one of the WI 60s puddings. Anyone in Guayana without John Snow would be in trouble.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
65 minimum. Weekes is destructive and remorseless. Would have murdered India/Pakistan just as much as he did in the 50s. Would have been more prolific against Australia than in his non-hypothetical life and plundered New Zealand into oblivion etc. Wouldn’t have had to play South Africa of course but hypothetically I think he would have done better than Barrington did against them anyway. I'm also going to say he might well have beaten Sobers' 365 on one of the WI 60s puddings. Anyone in Guayana without John Snow would be in trouble.
In Australia1951-195251002457024.50021
In England1950-1957916053312933.31143
He was very Average player against 2 Strong Teams of that Time

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
India would have Slaughtered Everton Weeks in mid 2000s and Pakisthan in 1990s

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
They’re both suspect against high pace and monsters elsewhere and I’d rather have the man with the superior range.
Barrington maintained a Good Average in all conditions. However, he is like Boycott very defensive so in a Team if we compensate with other attacking batsmen he can be a good no3 player.

His Average In Australia was very good.