• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need Help Identifying An Autographed Bat

pims

Cricket Spectator
My wife coordinated a cricket event for charity about 25 or 30 years ago and was presented with an autographed bat which she's had in a box all these years. We're Canadian so unfortunately not very knowledgeable about the sport. I'd like to know who these players were that signed the bat. Can anyone help identify the autographs? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Merv Hughes is on there too, and I think that's definitely Gus Logie's autograph as well.

pims

Cricket Spectator
Thank you everyone. Was wondering about this for years and it finally occurred to me that there's got to be a forum out there that could help. I appreciate it!

pims

Cricket Spectator

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just noticed on the bottom of the

I just noticed at the bottom of the record of the game that it raised $550,000 for the United Way. I'm sure we knew it at the time but had forgotten that too. Not bad for one match played 31 years ago in Canada! Obviously lots of fans here too even back then.
Fair effort, that’s like NZC’s annual turnover

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I attended this match and can provide details (from memory)

There was a huge risk taken by the organizers whether there was a large enough market for such a venture. They pulled it off with spectacular success with cricket-crazed expatriates, some of whom came in buses from the U.S to pack the stadium. This was a landmark event in Canadian cricket and provided the impetus for further international matches.

At the time, it set some records. Largest cricket charity match. 1st International indoor cricket match…

The match started with pomp and ceremony with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) leading the delegation of players and Ministers into the Skydome stadium.

Quite noticeable that some players were scanning the indoor stadium, with it’s Jumbotron electronic signboard and video plays. Probably the 1st time they’ve played in such a setting.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The highlight of the match was a power-packed innings from Duleep Mendis. He kept hitting 6’s at will sending his Sri Lankan fans into a tizzy. (They having recently been given ICC standing were the most vociferous).

At one point after a 6, one fan ran onto the ground waving money in his hands. He went up to Duleep to hug and kiss him and stuffed the money into Mendis’s pocket. Poor Mendis looked so embarrassed. He gave the money to Umpire Dickie Bird. Not sure what Bird did with the money.

I recall saying to myself, Mendis had better cool it down before he set’s off a riot. Next ball, BOOM another 6.

pims

Cricket Spectator
The highlight of the match was a power-packed innings from Duleep Mendis. He kept hitting 6’s at will sending his Sri Lankan fans into a tizzy. (They having recently been given ICC standing were the most vociferous).

At one point after a 6, one fan ran onto the ground waving money in his hands. He went up to Duleep to hug and kiss him and stuffed the money into Mendis’s pocket. Poor Mendis looked so embarrassed. He gave the money to Umpire Dickie Bird. Not sure what Bird did with the money.

I recall saying to myself, Mendis had better cool it down before he set’s off a riot. Next ball, BOOM another 6.
How wonderful to hear these anecdotes. Will show this to my wife. Thank you very much.