• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Hauritz

tooextracool

International Coach
As I've said before, one of the biggest reasons Flintoff rarely gets tail-end wickets is because he doesn't get the chance as often as others, having bowled his heart out to grab 2 or 3 vital top-order wickets.
One of the other reasons why Flintoff doesn't get tailend wickets is because he barely bowls on the stumps. Its no coincidence as to why bowlers like SP Jones were lethal to the tail either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surely the spinner being there actually helps the "balance" of the bowling attack.
Not if the spinner is crap & his likely effect depending on toss, will be until the 5th day. While againts stronger teams i.e SA, IND, SRI (at home), that won't even be the case.

There is enough variety in the AUS pace attack/stocks to play 4 quicks that will give it a top balance.

Its whether or not he's good enough to be a test cricketer that's the issue.
Againts strong teams he wont. But for reasons i already stated, AUS can get away with picking for the remainder of this Ashes unless ENGs batting finds a new gear.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cant believe that people are still being so tough on Hauritz - bowled beautiffully today, justified his selection and looks a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better bowler than his direct opponents (Swann has technical issues and Monty has zero variation)

Big deal if he has a **** fc record from bowling at the Gabba - name me a finger-spinner that doesnt? How good have Murali or Harby looked there? Pretty !@@#$$$% terrible that's what

Give the kid a break
Well Warne's looked pretty damn good at the 'Gabba a good few times, so I don't see what a wristspinner like Murali has to do with anything.

Also, a fair while back now Hauritz moved to the state with the most spin-friendly home ground - NSW. And he struggles to get into their team!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm serving up helpings of humble pie.

Come into this thread, apologise, and get your bellyfull - especially Richard.
I don't think even I said Hauritz was completely incapable of ever bowling half-decently (which is what he did - certainly nowhere near as well as 6-150-odd), but he is and remains a poor bowler, and if he bowls even this modrately well again regularly then I'll think about revising things.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Warne's looked pretty damn good at the 'Gabba a good few times, so I don't see what a wristspinner like Murali has to do with anything.

Also, a fair while back now Hauritz moved to the state with the most spin-friendly home ground - NSW. And he struggles to get into their team!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on Murali - either he's not very good or not a wristspinner?

Plus, have you seen the SCG lately?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the way spinners are treated in Australian domestic scene by their captains and their state associations has a lot to do with their current predicament, there is obviously nothing their in the pitches for them and they are just picked in the sides on CA insistence, on a lot of occasions they aren't even given many overs to bowl.
That's nothing new. When has Australia ever been a spin-friendly country?

Since covered wickets, spin in Australia has had two outstanding merchants (Benaud and Warne), a few useful ones (Higgs and MacGill) and a few useful short-term options (Mallett, Yardley).

When a Benaud or Warne isn't present, Australia are best off just forgetting about picking nothing spinners. It's the right attitude IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on Murali - either he's not very good or not a wristspinner?
He's both wristspinner and outstanding - he just happened to not bowl very well on his whole 2 visits the stadium. If Murali had played 10 Tests on it between 1998 and 2007 he'd have torn teams to shreds the same way Warne routinely did.
Plus, have you seen the SCG lately?
Yes, it's (like so many grounds) been far less helpful to bowlers than it should be in recent times. Nonetheless, the idea that it hasn't produced a single turning deck in that time is pretty unlikely.

pup11

International Coach
That's nothing new. When has Australia ever been a spin-friendly country?

Since covered wickets, spin in Australia has had two outstanding merchants (Benaud and Warne), a few useful ones (Higgs and MacGill) and a few useful short-term options (Mallett, Yardley).

When a Benaud or Warne isn't present, Australia are best off just forgetting about picking nothing spinners. It's the right attitude IMO.
Well Australia has never been a spin friendly country, but atleast on day 4 and 5 of a test there used to be some rough for the spinners to work with and not only that the pace and bounce of the track also used to help the spinners in the past.

Nowadays though not only have the pitches around in Australia slowed down, but they also don't tend to break much during the duration of the game, and on top of that another new trend has also begun in the last 2 or 3 seasons of domestic cricket, where the pitches are being tailor-made for the fast bowlers, which also has proved to be a big blow for the aspiring Aussie spinners.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Well Australia has never been a spin friendly country, but atleast on day 4 and 5 of a test there used to be some rough for the spinners to work with and not only that the pace and bounce of the track also used to help the spinners in the past.

Nowadays though not only have the pitches around in Australia slowed down, but they also don't tend to break much during the duration of the game, and on top of that another new trend has also begun in the last 2 or 3 seasons of domestic cricket, where the pitches are being tailor-made for the fast bowlers, which also has proved to be a big blow for the aspiring Aussie spinners.
Good description of the issues spin-bowlers face on the Australian domestic circuit.

But more spin friendly surfaces would not have turned the likes of Cullen Bailey, Daniel Doran, Beau Casson, Dan Cullen, Aaron Heal, Xavier Doharty, Nathan Hauritz and Jason Krejza into world beaters. Reduced bowlers averages from 35-45 down to 35-40 at best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Although the notion of pitches deteriorating and going from non-spin-friendly to spin-friendly is a myth now, I don't doubt that there was a time when it did actually happen. However, whether that truly was not so long ago in Australia I'm not sure. There were still precious few Australian spinners of any note (and none of any longevity) between Benaud and Warne - and that didn't change first-innings or fourth-innings.

Also, pace and bounce is no use to a spinner without turn. Equally, turn isn't often incredibly useful with very slow, low decks - you have to bowl unbelievably well to get something out of such slow, low turners. The only deck in Australia which tended to help spinners was the SCG in my experience, and even that has been doing so less of late.

pup11

International Coach
Good description of the issues spin-bowlers face on the Australian domestic circuit.

But more spin friendly surfaces would not have turned the likes of Cullen Bailey, Daniel Doran, Beau Casson, Dan Cullen, Aaron Heal, Xavier Doharty, Nathan Hauritz and Jason Krejza into world beaters. Reduced bowlers averages from 35-45 down to 35-40 at best.
It might have not turned them into world beaters, but atleast it would have provided them decent conditons to develop their bowling on, given the way spin bowlers are being treated in Australia atm, I'm not sure how many young bloke would be really keen to bowl spin.

Although the notion of pitches deteriorating and going from non-spin-friendly to spin-friendly is a myth now, I don't doubt that there was a time when it did actually happen. However, whether that truly was not so long ago in Australia I'm not sure. There were still precious few Australian spinners of any note (and none of any longevity) between Benaud and Warne - and that didn't change first-innings or fourth-innings.

Also, pace and bounce is no use to a spinner without turn. Equally, turn isn't often incredibly useful with very slow, low decks - you have to bowl unbelievably well to get something out of such slow, low turners. The only deck in Australia which tended to help spinners was the SCG in my experience, and even that has been doing so less of late.
Likes of Benaud and Warne were great bowlers, and you certainly don't produce greats like those very often, but that's not really the problem, I don't think there is a point in thinking about the past.

It's time for Australia to find a serviceable spinner, who could complement the decent pace-attack that is there at present, because if you look around, in international cricket every team has a spinner in their test side, and not all of them are world-beaters, but still they are picking wickets and contributing to their respective teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the point though - there's really no such thing as a "serviceable" spinner in a non-spin-friendly country like Australia. Since it became such a thing (ie, the mid-1950s), spinners tend to be either outstanding greats like Benaud or Warne, or absolute nothing merchants like... well, like almost all other spinners who've played in the last 50 years.

And any serviceable types (Mallett, Yardley, Higgs, MacGill) tend to be so only for a season or two before being worked-out\running-out of luck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When do we have to put on hold his Test average rising to the 50-odd it deserves to be at until now? 8-)

howardj

International Coach
Sunday morning breakfast of humble pie for all the Hauritz Haters.

Horrie: Six Tests, 23 wickets @ 30 with an economy rate of 2.83

Most importantly, both in ODIs and Tests, the more he plays, the more he improves.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sunday morning breakfast of humble pie for all the Hauritz Haters.

Horrie: Six Tests, 23 wickets @ 30 with an economy rate of 2.83

Most importantly, both in ODIs and Tests, the more he plays, the more he improves.
Indeed, people ridicule me when I say he is good but he is accurate and turns the ball. He doesn't get much drift nor is his flight magnificant so he won't be great but he has the tools to do well on a consistent basis.

91Jmay

International Coach
He's solid. Nothing more, but he is a useful contributor - although for me he'd be much for useful in a 5 bowler attack.