• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

my grip problem

brandon_5125

Cricket Spectator
hi hope u all are having a great day,i am a 15 year old right arm fast bowler i have a problem with my normal grip it doesnt feel right anymore i tried so many grips and none of them work and also when i grip the ball my fingers have a slight tilt when i grip the ball what grip would fit me perfect i really need some help it has been bothering me for so many months i even thought of quiting cricket and going to spin but i had to much success in fasts bowling and do not want to give up right now i grip the ball cross seam until i can get my normal grip back,thnx

Attachments

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd you were having success, why did you change your grip? I gripped the ball the same way for 20-odd years & naturally bowled with the seam angled slightly in to a right-hander. Used to seam it back in. The only time I would change my grip was to bowl a variation, like one that seamed away, but then it would be back to the natural grip again.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Your grip is probably a bit unusual but if it works, that's not a problem.

As I understand it, with the orthodox grip for a pace bowler, the hand only touches the ball in three fairly small areas: the seam of the ball rests on the thumb, and the tips of the first and second fingers are placed just either side of the seam at the top of the ball.

It looks as though you're gripping the ball with the whole length of your fingers, and also using the third finger to support it. So if you're not happy I guess you could try having the ball less far into the hand.

But if you are able to get the seam coming down vertically with your current grip I can't see a reason to change it.

Tamina

Cricket Spectator
It's not uncommon for athletes to experience changes in their grip or form over time, and sometimes it can take some experimentation to find a grip that feels comfortable and effective for you. Here are a few tips that might help:

1. Seek advice from a coach or experienced player: A qualified coach or experienced player may be able to offer some suggestions or adjustments to your grip that could help improve your performance. They can observe your grip and provide feedback on how to improve it.
  2. Experiment with different grips: There are many different grip variations for fast bowlers, so it's worth trying out different options to see what works best for you. Some bowlers prefer a more relaxed grip, while others prefer a tighter grip. You could also try using variations like the split-finger grip or the two-finger grip.
  3. Practice regularly: Practice is essential for improving your grip and technique. Try to set aside regular practice sessions where you can focus on your grip and work on improving it.
  4. Take breaks when necessary: Overuse or fatigue can contribute to changes in your grip or form, so it's important to take breaks when you need them. Resting your hand and arm between training sessions or games may help alleviate any discomfort or strain.
Remember that it's normal to experience changes in your grip or form, and it's possible to overcome these challenges with practice and patience. Good luck