• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated cricketer

shortpitched713

International Captain
We've got a recently created, active thread for most overrated so figure I'd start the opposite. I'll start with:

Vernon Philander

Was part of a new ball partnership with Steyn, that led South Africa to their most successful period in Test cricket history ( 2012-16 ) as the number 1 team, which South Africa never before experienced. And he was no clear "junior" partner as Gillespie was to McGrath. They have literally the same bowling average, ( with Philander being .63 superior to Steyn ).

Yes, I know the criticism is that he was a good seam bowling conditions bowler. Still, ****, he must have been the GOAT seam conditions abusing bowler with the kind of record he ended up with. He even won a higher percentage of his matches than Steyn ( winning 54.7% of his matches to Steyn's 51.6% ) , making him a better match-winner.

Okay, that last one is a bit of a stretch, but the overall point is that barely anyone on the whole site rates him, in spite of his accomplishments and contributions.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
We've got a recently created, active thread for most overrated so figure I'd start the opposite. I'll start with:

Vernon Philander

Was part of a new ball partnership with Steyn, that led South Africa to their most successful period in Test cricket history ( 2012-16 ) as the number 1 team, which South Africa never before experienced. And he was no clear "junior" partner as Gillespie was to McGrath. They have literally the same bowling average, ( with Philander being .63 superior to Steyn ).

Yes, I know the criticism is that he was a good seam bowling conditions bowler. Still, ****, he must have been the GOAT seam conditions abusing bowler with the kind of record he ended up with. He even won a higher percentage of his matches than Steyn ( winning 54.7% of his matches to Steyn's 51.6% ) , making him a better match-winner.

Okay, that last one is a bit of a stretch, but the overall point is that barely anyone on the whole site rates him, in spite of his accomplishments and contributions.
Decent with the bat too. I rate Philander btw and others here do too.

ataraxia

International Coach
Bradman's overrated imo. Definitely was not a 100-averaging batsman. Still pretty good tho

That said, my opinion being such actually means that Coronis' opinion he is underrated is now more correct in his eyes. These threads are stupid after all – if people ever agree on an answer to the thread, it would normally really become not an answer to the thread.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When you/anyone else say they are over-rated, it means they are under-rated. When you say they are under-rated, it means they are over-rated.
I'm wondering if half of these are being mentioned because of me constantly going on about how they are overrated

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
When you/anyone else say they are over-rated, it means they are under-rated. When you say they are under-rated, it means they are over-rated.
I have a policy that whatever the TJB opinion the opposite is true.......on the odd occasion I found myself agreeing with him, you take 5 mins, go away and think about it some more and you find......yep both wrong. It's a fail safe method tbh.

Gob

International Coach
As soon as I saw this thread I thought we're gonna see the same names here as in the overrated thread but from those on other side of the fence.

The answer here is James Anderson.......675 test wickets and half the forum reckon he's a club bowler.
This can't be any farther from the truth.

Most people rate him somewhere between club to county level when its sunny