• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most overrated cricketer

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Wally Hammond imo. He batted in the most batting friendly era and still was miles below the best bat of his time. Would not be a top 5 bat in this era.

Who is the most overrated in your opinion?

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

First Class Debutant
Wally Hammond imo. He batted in the most batting friendly era and still was miles below the best bat of his time. Would not be a top 5 bat in this era.

Who is the most overrated in your opinion?
Comparing with the best bat of his time?Hmm
Hammond adjusted record in any era would still be around 54-55.And around the same(58.45) from 2000-2017.
And if you are saying Overrated Cricketer,Hammond was also a good enough bowler.Don’t think he was that much worse than Kallis as a bowler.And a ATG fielder.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And I'll say Mitchell Starc in tests. If you never looked at stats and were complete fairweather fan you'd think he was our best bowler. Household name, features in several ads each summer, married to the second most famous female cricketer in Australia, never looks like being dropped. Looks a million bucks when yorking tailenders. But ultimately so ineffective against top order batsmen from good teams

BazBall21

International Regular
I see grounds for Hammond being slightly overrated but think to say he wouldn't be a top 5 bat in this era is a bit out there.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
And I'll say Mitchell Starc in tests. If you never looked at stats and were complete fairweather fan you'd think he was our best bowler. Household name, features in several ads each summer, married to the second most famous female cricketer in Australia, never looks like being dropped. Looks a million bucks when yorking tailenders. But ultimately so ineffective against top order batsmen from good teams
Yeah but he bowls 150

mr_mister

I see grounds for Hammond being slightly overrated but think to say he wouldn't be a top 5 bat in this era is a bit out there.
I reckon people find out his 336* was against New Zealand in their absolute mega minnow phase and jump to conclusions. But he had plenty of success against Grimmett and O'Reilly and Martindale/Constantine(for those who doubt he could play real pace)

Edit - turns out he only had one ton against 30s Windies. Hmm.

BazBall21

International Regular
He's a good bloke that got everything out of his talent in a tough role so I feel harsh saying it, but Alastair Cook always comes to mind here for me.

BazBall21

International Regular
Starc was truly awful against India in the most recent BGT series. Persisting with him in the fourth test cost them. I know an Australia fan who still hasn't forgiven him. Think he's a decent shout here. Absolute monster with the pink ball and against batsmen that are suspect against pace, but is found wanting too often when he's confronted with a real challenge. Good record on the subcontinent though tbf to him, did well on those miserable pitches in Pakistan this year.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Ryan Harris could have been a CA's marketing dream? Late developer, moves state, starts bowling wheels, was genuinely world class, had Kevin Pietersen on toast, honest trustworthy face etc

@mr_mister

First Class Debutant
I reckon people find out his 336* was against New Zealand in their absolute mega minnow phase and jump to conclusions. But he had plenty of success against Grimmett and O'Reilly and Martindale/Constantine(for those who doubt he could play real pace)
A 43 year old should not be marked down for not being good enough to face Lindwall and Miller.
Hammond also manage to do really well against Nissar and Singh.

mr_mister

A 43 year old should not be marked down for not being good enough to face Lindwall and Miller.
Hammond also manage to do really well against Nissar and Singh.
I jumped the gun re my Windies praise, for some reason I thought he pumped them but he only averaged 35 with one ton. However Nissar was apparently rapid for the era so that's good to know

It'd have been interesting if Australia had used more pacemen in the 30s to see how he fared. Hammond only played one test against Jack Gregory who got him out for 44 before not bowling in the second innings (or ever again). A little unproven overall against pace but not really his fault

First Class Debutant
I jumped the gun re my Windies praise, for some reason I thought he pumped them but he only averaged 35 with one ton. However Nissar was apparently rapid for the era so that's good to know

It'd have been interesting if Australia had used more pacemen in the 30s to see how he fared. Hammond only played one test against Jacke Gregory who got him out for 44 before not bowling in the second innings (or ever again). A little unproven overall against pace but not really his fault
Hammond did tore McDonald apart before his test debut scoring 250 odd runs.
His record against Larwood in County Cricket would probably tell the truth.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Comparing with the best bat of his time?Hmm
Hammond adjusted record in any era would still be around 54-55.And around the same(58.45) from 2000-2017.
And if you are saying Overrated Cricketer,Hammond was also a good enough bowler.Don’t think he was that much worse than Kallis as a bowler.And a ATG fielder.
Do you really think he could have faced the modern express pace bowlers. His record agaisnt WI is pretty poor averaging only 35.5 an deven against Australia it's only 51.85.

Imo in modern era his average would be in late 40s. I can understand the argument for him being an ATG as an all-round cricketer but not as a batsman.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Do you really think he could ave faced the modern express pace bowlers. His record agaisnt WI is pretty poor averaging only 35.5 an deven against Australia it's only 51.85.

Imo in modern era his average would be in late 40s. I can understand the argument for him being an ATG as an all-round cricketer but not as a batsman.
Only 51 is a weird criticism lol. He hit a 900 run series against Ironmonger and Grimmett and still managed 2 double tons against O'Reilly despite not quite scaling the heights of '28 again

He might have absolutely killed it in Asian countries with that resume

Last edited: