• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most iconic moments of the decade

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
A thread to post what your highlights of the decade were. You don't have to have been at the ground, but relived the experience through TV

Not in chronological order and I've narrowed it down to 5

Peter Siddle hat-trick (Ashes 2010/11)
Mitchell Johnson overall performance (Ashes 2013/14)
Dale Steyn becomes the highest wicket-taker for South Africa (2018/19)
Williamson is calmness personified in hitting Pat Cummins for six in a group stage nail-biter (WC 2015) *Actually the whole game was just ridiculous*
Ben Stokes's heroic innings at Headingley last year (Ashes 2019)

*Special mention also to Pakistan playing home tests for the first time since 2009*

Far too many to choose from, enjoy folks!

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni's six to win the WC
Grant Elliot's six vs SA
Misbah's Pakistan getting to number 1 on the England tour was a pretty feel good moment
Kohli's innings vs Australia in the world t20
Australia cheating exposed by Fanie de villiers
2019 WC final (all of it)
India winning a series in Australia

In terms of importance/memorable moments, I think those are what the decade will be remembered for.

vcs

Can argue that Stokes was involved in the iconic moment of the decade in each format.

Tests - the boundary off Cummins to seal the Headingley chase
ODIs - Guptill's throw hitting his bat in the WC final and going for four overthrows
T20Is - Bowled the last over that got taken for 4 sixes by Carlos "Remember The Name" Braithwaite

The guy was just born to be box office material.

Last edited:

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Kohli redeeming himself in England by winning the MoS was a good moment.
Kohli holding his own against Anderson was wonderful to watch.

Mitch Starc knocking over McCullum in the first over.

Rohit Sharma charting new heights in ODIs.

Ponting and Sachin batting togather in IPL.

Bumrah's no ball in the CT final.

Ryan Harris' "that" delivery against Cook.

Burgey

It’s Phil Hughes passing and the reaction to it - the NZ-Pakistan (I think) test being cancelled and the first test for Australia afterwards, especially Clarke’s hundred.

Flem274*

123/5
It’s Phil Hughes passing and the reaction to it - the NZ-Pakistan (I think) test being cancelled and the first test for Australia afterwards, especially Clarke’s hundred.
the game kept going. craig took 7fer then baz and kane just swung at everything and ended up with massive hundreds and no one celebrated anything. was eerie.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Can argue that Stokes was involved in the iconic moment of the decade in each format.

Tests - the boundary off Cummins to seal the Headingley chase
ODIs - Guptill's throw hitting his bat in the WC final and going for four overthrows
T20Is - Bowled the last over that got taken for 4 sixes by Carlos "Remember The Name" Braithwaite

The guy was just born to be box office material.
Perhaps recency bias given that 2 of the 3 happened in the last 6 months but hard to disagree with these as the decade’s key moment for each international format. The other iconic moments (sandpaper, Hughes, etc) of course remembered for different reasons.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Im not exactly a wordsstevesmith, but because OP used iconic, does it still fit? Certainly the most impactful and tragic.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
the game kept going. craig took 7fer then baz and kane just swung at everything and ended up with massive hundreds and no one celebrated anything. was eerie.
Don't recall anyone even trying to turn around and appeal.

NUFAN I think iconic is befitting, given the immediate impact and the results ever since (helmet tech, concussion subs / protocols).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't recall anyone even trying to turn around and appeal.

NUFAN I think iconic is befitting, given the immediate impact and the results ever since (helmet tech, concussion subs / protocols).
Ok sure. Yeah sorry I must be wrong with how I intrepret iconic.

stephen

Mitch Johnson being battered to retirement by Kohli and Rahane and esp. the famous Rahane head bob.
Those highways we rolled out for India in that series certainly were iconic. Marvellous engineering. Smith 4 tons, Kohli 4 tons.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Those highways we rolled out for India in that series certainly were iconic. Marvellous engineering. Smith 4 tons, Kohli 4 tons.
When hasn't Australian tracks not been highways the last decade or so ? Anyways it is not the problem of the visiting team.

stephen

When hasn't Australian tracks not been highways the last decade or so ? Anyways it is not the problem of the visiting team.
No I know. That particular series was so bad though. Cricket Australia feared that an India without Tendulkar, Dravid and Sehwag would result in 3 day tests (losing a huge amount of tv and ticket revenue) against a rampaging Johnson so they rolled out low, flat pitches that made the M1 jealous.

At least there had been some criticism of the MCG in particular in the last couple of years. Decks with a bit of spice in them make for better viewing even if the tests are shorter IMO.