• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most galling Ashes loss

Most disappointing Ashes loss from an Australian POV?

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes none of these compare to England's losses in the same timeframe, but still some of these losses were pretty terrible.

flibbertyjibber

The first 5-0 was almost acceptable as we were injury ravaged taking on an all time great team with revenge in mind. The last one down under was terrible as we had comfortably won the series just a few months before.

If I was an Aussie i'd probably put this one on a par with 10/11 as the defeats have been so comprehensive each time.

91Jmay

International Coach
Our last Ashes whitewash is miles worse, although another hammering at the Oval would make this stand alone terrible from an Aussie perspective imo.

greg

International Debutant
I would think that losing at home (especially when that loss is as big a hammering as 2010/11 was) has to be the worst. I think it is the one i would vote for as the best from an England perspective.

When you lose at home what have you got to fall back upon?

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it would have to be the 2010-11 one.. As bad as 60 all out is, it is still something that happens to a lot of teams overseas.

Burgey

I'm disappointed at the extent of the loss this series, but not surprised at the loss itself. I thought Australia would win this series, but certainly didn't believe all the pre-series talk that they were certainties given how poorly a lot of the blokes had batted in England before.

Still think 10-11 was the worst series loss I can recall since the 80s.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
At least 10/11 was a loss against an England side at the peak of their powers and with quality cricketers throughout the 11. The current England team is carrying some serious passengers (and in the latest test missing their best player), and yet they're still absolutely pummeling the Aussies.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I'm disappointed at the extent of the loss this series, but not surprised at the loss itself. I thought Australia would win this series, but certainly didn't believe all the pre-series talk that they were certainties given how poorly a lot of the blokes had batted in England before.

Still think 10-11 was the worst series loss I can recall since the 80s.
Most of the pre series talk had Harris in the side to be fair...

10-11 at home. 2015 // 2005 are close too.

10/11 being at their peak of their powers is not an accurate description of both side coming IN to the series. Obviously in hindsight it is but I'd expect this side to be rated higher in 2-3 years time too (see root as the #1 batsman for example.) I could also see some revisionism about the quality of the side coming in going on (Johnson may never run through a side again for example).

Last edited:

jimbags

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
2011 surely. Not only a torrid anal hammering, but the only England win in Australia in the last 28 years , and inbetween two whitewashes

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Turning it an around to an English pov, rating the wins from deliriously joyous to quietly enjoyable ..

1. 2005 - 18 years of pain etc. Perhaps younger CWers who hadn't endured the 1989 to 2003 period feel differently.
2. 2010/11 - it was away from home and every morning was the reverse of the whitewashes, waking up, hoping for the best, and hearing that they'd gone way beyond any sane expectations.
3. 2015 - so unexpected, even allowing for Ryan Harris' absence. Helped by a fair chunk of the Aus team being so unlikeable in the 18 months or so leading up to it.
4. 2009 - again unexpected. iirc the previous series had seen us losing in WI and Aus winning in SA, so htf did this happen? And sealing an Ashes win on a sunny day at The Oval is always special.
5. 2013 - enjoyed it of course, but it was that period when I was out of love with the England side for all sorts of reasons that I won't repeat here. And given the state of the Aus side at the start of the series, the 1st and 4th tests should never have been as close as they were. Plus the Ovalgate affair soured things somewhat.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry to be a pedant but it was day four at The Oval in 09. :ph34r:

That series was amazing for me. Would be hard to rank those Ashes victories, except for first and last place (same order as yours)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry to be a pedant but it was day four at The Oval in 09. :ph34r:

That series was amazing for me. Would be hard to rank those Ashes victories, except for first and last place (same order as yours)
Bloody pedant. :)
Anyway, I've corrected it now.

2009 did have some very special moments, most of them involving your boy Fred of course.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bloody pedant. :)

2009 did have some very special moments, most of them involving your boy Fred of course.
Indeed. And I was off work for most of the series which helps make it special.

They all have their plus points tbh. 2013 is mainly soured for me by the fact it didn't really count for anything in the end.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2010/11 possibly even better than 2005 for me. I managed to watch so much of that series, almost certainly more than I will ever be able to watch an away ashes again.

This one is right up there as well though, 2009 and 2013 a long way back.