• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Effective ODI player

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I'm surprised that Michael Clarke is up there at 2 for batting. I thought he's been pretty average of late.

open365

International Vice-Captain
These tables are very intresting, cricinfo rock.

They show how cricket is becoming more batsman dominated and give a great indication of a players effectiveness, especialy the all-rounder one.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Armadillo said:
I'm surprised that Michael Clarke is up there at 2 for batting. I thought he's been pretty average of late.
His rating as at now would be 37.37 and he'd be in 6th place.

It does show quite how brilliant Viv was though - that average at that S/R in more bowler friendly conditions.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Armadillo said:
This 05/06 season, he's been averaging 44.18, which is slightly less than his career average of 44.31. I reckon he's been performing absolutely fine.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bowling should have sopme sort of SR and ER thing. Ofcourse most of those bowlers are all time greats and would still be there.

Fielding is also a key aspect of the game which is not rated at all. Richards would have rated highly in this one too.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of current bowlers have had their bowling economy destroyed somewhat by the extra 5 overs of Power play. (I know for a fact Murali's has -since he has been called onto bowl more during the power play) . So I think the comparison is some what skewed against current bowlers slightly because of this.

The extra Power Play makes ODI s even more a batsman's game,IMO.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
pasag said:
Looks perfect to me. Hussey should be on there some time next year.:)
I'm not sure whether you saw it, but they said they'd excluded Hussey, Dhoni and Pieterson (I think was the third) because they set a minimum of 50 matches for inclusion. They said Hussey would be 1 by a Bradmanesque margin (averaging 90-odd with a strike rate of 90 odd), Dhoni and Pieterson would be in the top ten

Matt79

Global Moderator
The fact that Shane Bond is the only current bowler on the table makes it even more silly that he isn't in the NZ Best XI for ODIs on Ricky Ponting International Cricket! :)

pasag

RTDAS
Matt79 said:
I'm not sure whether you saw it, but they said they'd excluded Hussey, Dhoni and Pieterson (I think was the third) because they set a minimum of 50 matches for inclusion. They said Hussey would be 1 by a Bradmanesque margin (averaging 90-odd with a strike rate of 90 odd), Dhoni and Pieterson would be in the top ten
Yeah but Hussey is on about 40 ODI's and should be on the list in 10 matches, sometime before the end of the calendar year

Matt79

Global Moderator
oh definitely - and barring a major slump, he'll slot into the top ten comfortably, which if he continues the start he's add would be an accurate placement.

I thought Clarke was surprising - in that I thought he was good, but not as good as this system ranks him. He is very consistent in the one day format I suppose, and probably will usually be overshadowed by one of Ponting, Symonds, Hussey or Gilchrist in any given innings, but is less hit or miss than some of his other teammates.