• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most disappointing player of the Tounament

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TT Boy said:
Ronaldinho did have a bad tournament but you have to remember that he was played in a completely different position to the one he occupies for Barcelona. Where he is allowed more freedom and does not have the burden of defensive duties, tracking back et cetera.
Erm, didn't Brazil have 2 defensive midfielders in there to allow the "famous 4" to not have to trrack back?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Erm, didn't Brazil have 2 defensive midfielders in there to allow the "famous 4" to not have to trrack back?
Erm yes they did but he still had to defend because Carlos Alberto Parreira insisted on both Kaka and Ronaldinho fulfilling there defensive duties. It was reported after Brazil’s game with Japan that the two most tired and weary players in the Brazilian side were the two attacking midfielders because of the workload enforced on them and that Ronaldinho has outwardly said his never worked so hard before.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wayne Rooney
Excuses because of the injury were allowed UNTIL he got sent off...

Pothas

I really dont see how Gerrard was a dissapoitment, he scored two goals one of which was superb, that is more goals than Ballack who didnt get one. In all of the games he put in atleast a solid performance and was far better than Lampard. To claim that he was one of the biggest dissapointing players of the tournament is obsurd

Ronaldinho and Lampard as has been said have been very dissapointing but for me Ibramhimovic was simply awful, no wonder Jueventus feel the need to cheat with him and Trezeguet upftront. Strikers as a whole have been dissapointing, klose has been the best and he is hardly inspiring.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
Wayne Rooney
Excuses because of the injury were allowed UNTIL he got sent off...
Just based on his performance in the 2nd Round, he cannot be called most disappointing.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
steds said:
Every day I get scousers telling me how great he is. How he's better than Lampard. How he's right up there with Ronaldinho. How many people would have backed him to be England's best player? Just look at his reputation. Look at his Liverpool performances, then look at this tournament (and the vast majority of his other England appearances) and you'll see a complete player and inspirational leader, then a shadow of the one in Red who is distinctly average as international midfielders go. Disappointment.
Spot on. The reason SG should be lambasted more than FFF is because nobody really expects anything from FFF (FIFA, as usual, can be disregarded, does anybody really think FFF would make a world 11?No.) but Gerrard has high expectations, not only from LFC fans, or England fans, or football fans the world over, but from himself. And he didn't deliver. Again. Ffs even Fat 'un got further forward than him, but bottled it in front of goal. Bugger Sven and his tactics (whatever they were) Gerrard went missing for the whole tournament, regardless of his two goals (good as they were) he is supposedly our best player along side Wine and never once did he take a game by the scruff: I applaud Fatty for having the balls and the wherewithall for getting into the positions Gerrard should have been in, SG is supposedly a world class player and he blew it big style for me.

The new Bryan Robson?

He is the new John Barnes and that's the end of it.

Other than he, Ronaldinho is the obvious choice. He himself said before the tournament that the Barca Ronaldinho would not make an appearance at the WC, and my my he called it right. Not even up there with the likes of like Zico and Eder, never mind Diego who he's compared with, even Dr Socrates could smoke 40 a day and turn in better shows, poor stuff lad.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Pothas said:
I really dont see how Gerrard was a dissapoitment, he scored two goals one of which was superb, that is more goals than Ballack who didnt get one. In all of the games he put in atleast a solid performance and was far better than Lampard. To claim that he was one of the biggest dissapointing players of the tournament is obsurd

Ronaldinho and Lampard as has been said have been very dissapointing but for me Ibramhimovic was simply awful, no wonder Jueventus feel the need to cheat with him and Trezeguet upftront. Strikers as a whole have been dissapointing, klose has been the best and he is hardly inspiring.
How was he better than Lampard? If Fatty had brought his shooting boots with him he'd have been up there with Klose as top scorer, Fatty was the one getting up to support the lone striker because Gerrard went missing. Again.

I don't rate Frank that highly but at least he tried and didn't bottle it, he was the one driving forward trying to support, Gerrard was the one "tackling back" trying to support Hargreaves and I'm sorry, if he can't work out, after Christ knows how many games, that he is our best attacking midfielder then balls to him. He shackled himself and he's an idiot for doing so. Do your job and leave defending to the rest, he's trying to be Roy Keane and he is no Roy Keane, players like him and Matthaus come around once a generation and he ain't one of 'em.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Err no Keane is not once a generation player. He's a good player that would have got into most sides but you could find at least half a dozen midfielders of similar or better quality in any year of the modern era without too much difficulty.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Scaly piscine said:
Err no Keane is not once a generation player. He's a good player that would have got into most sides but you could find at least half a dozen midfielders of similar or better quality in any year of the modern era without too much difficulty.
I can't think of many. At his peak he was the best complete midfielder in the world, their type don't come around often. You get very good attacking midfielders and very good defensive ones but rarely do you get both in the same fellow. Viera is similar but not as good.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
It obviously was Ronaldinho... expected a lot from him, but he failed to impress.. he showed glimpses of it but never reached the expectations..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Beckham, Rooney .....Lampard ...

Coach ...Sven .. Alberto Pereira (Brazilian Coach)....Roger Lemire (Former French and Tunisian coach at this World Cup)... Togo's Otto ...(the German coach of Togo )

Craig

World Traveller
I don't see how Togo can be considered a disappiontment, when they were up against it anyway from the start. Unless you mean the coach leaving just before the start of the Cup.

Although the fans of Costa Rica thought their team was a diappiobment withe reaction when they arrived back. Morons.

Scaly piscine

Pedro Delgado said:
I can't think of many. At his peak he was the best complete midfielder in the world, their type don't come around often. You get very good attacking midfielders and very good defensive ones but rarely do you get both in the same fellow. Viera is similar but not as good.
There's no way you can say he was the best complete midfielder in the world, he didn't particularly stand out from the crowd when Manure played in Europe or when Ireland occasionally did something. I'm not sure he stood out that much for Manure actually - they missed him a fair bit when he was injured but that was because they didn't have much to replace him with. He was a big fish in our little world, but I'm sure in every other country they'll be saying the same things as you about some other player in that respective league

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Actually, Vieira was the first one I thought of when it came to finding a better one than Keane. Not coming up with too many others, though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
How is it that no-one's mentioned Zeljko Kalac?
The guy couldn't even command a first team place at Leicester. How could anyone expect him to succeed on the sport's biggest stage?