• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Destructive Batsman in Onedayer!

Doesn't need to be the best of the batters, but the most destructive one.Who do u think it is?

Sehwag
GilChrist
Jaysuria

Which one of them?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Used to be Lance Klusener but I'd say Sachin rates pretty highly, especially against the Aussies.

Probably out of those three, Gilchrist would be it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's a large number who can be destructive in streaks - Shewag is definitely on a streak at the moment, but I think Trescothick deserves a mention!

And don't forget the man with the current highest strike rate of them all!

Zoysa!

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would say Afridi or tho he is not really that good a batsman for out right stupid agreesion it would be him.

Gilchrist is probably second as far as dustruction goes hes very technicly correct as well.

others that might not spring to most people mide include.

Brett Lee: For a number 7-8 batsman he can really hit the ball hard and i mean hard. any one see his 50 of 30 balls against SA?

S. Pollock: very clean hitter if he is well set.

S. Watson: usualy not that agressive but when he has to be he can really strike the ball.

sasnoz

Banned
chris cairns could blow his top but has more maturity
andre adams is a nutter when he bats :karate:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
On current form, Sehwag. (Note to Marc - S-E-H-wag)

Trescothick, Gilchrist and Jayasuriya are lethal when in the zone as well. As with Afridi, if and when he's in the mood.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
After seeing Gilli's ineptitude against spin, I've taken him off almost all lists. He's destructive on his day though- gotta grant him that.

I can only say that the opening pair of Sachin and Ganguly is (was?) the most destructive one.

Destructive batsmen in ODI format... don't they seem to come and go? Speaking of that, is Zulu gone? At one stage it looked like Ricardo Powell will go one up on anyone else..

For now, it's Sehwag (that's the spelling, and Shewag is the way it's pronounced I think).

For a more significant period of time, it's Jayasurya, Sachin, Tres (already getting up there), Ganguly (whenever he gets a big knock, it gets very destructive as the innings progresses), Gilli.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
You bet Ricardo Powell is one of the most destructive in his day...actually at one point in his ODI career, when he was between 600 & 700 runs in ODI he had actually hit more sixes than fours...remember his 124 against India...or more recently 84 not out to win the match against Zimbabwe by one wicket. Don't write him off as yet... he is still 23.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I didn't see his innings thanks to Ch4 not even doing highlights, I'm suprised no one has mentioned Astle...I mean 222 off 153 balls...in a test? Also the leading run scorer and century maker in NZ One Day Cricket? He is a very destructive batsman...and Ali Brown...averages over 40 most seasons with a high strike rate and scored 268 in a one day innings! Oh and lets not forget Kevin Pietersen...oh please England pick him when he qualifies! He could be one of the stars on the International Scene in the future!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
The problem with these guyz is, that they have their days, other than those they look very ordinary.

Current players :

Gilchrist
Sehwag
Afridi

Of the three sehwag probably has the better technique, having said that, he is suspect on and around his offstump, the gap is sometimes huge between bat and pad. He is a boundary hitter, high proportion of his runs come in boundaries. Also the attracting factor is that many shots are copy book. And i haven't seen him play against real pace yet.

Gilchrist has a similar problem around his offstump leaving a gap between, he seems to have covered up there. When on song, bowlers usually end up scratching their heads. Murders the Under pitched as well as the over pitched.

Afridi is perhaps the most technically deficient of the lot, enormous talent, but doesn't have a level head. But when the word destructive is the key, then Afridi is that. Simply because he is unpredictable. While Sehwag, Gilchrist are strong in particular regions, Afridi scores on as well as over the field a lot, any direction.

Keep in mind that its destructive not attacking. On that count, all openers are expected to be attacking.

After seeing Gilli's ineptitude against spin, I've taken him off almost all lists
Since its ODI's we're talking about,Glichrist is over with his job long before any spinner can have a say.

Jayasuriya used to be destructive but the captaincy has tamed the fire. A maturer batsmen now.

Lance Klusener, well at the WC he was nothing but that (destructive), other then that I haven't witnessed an exclusively destructive innings.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Originally posted by R_Powell_fan
You bet Ricardo Powell is one of the most destructive in his day...actually at one point in his ODI career, when he was between 600 & 700 runs in ODI he had actually hit more sixes than fours...remember his 124 against India...or more recently 84 not out to win the match against Zimbabwe by one wicket. Don't write him off as yet... he is still 23.
I'm with you on this one, R_P_Fan. I think that he's got a big future and he's got the potential to be far more than a one-dimensional slogger.

(not that I've got anything against one-dimensional slogging).

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah when he was over here a few years ago I was impressed with his Lofted Driving over Mid Off...it was the end of the innings and he didn't slog it, it was a beutiful few steps down the pitch and a lovely crisp sound of ball off the middle of the bat, they showed it from the stump cam and it just made me want to go outside and do the same, he got out in the last over or so slogging but that shot sticks in the memory! Also I'm not being Pro England here but Tresco is a bloody amazing batsman when hes in the form he has been in ever since he was called up by England...except the grassy wickets in NZ!

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
Sourav Ganguly, Adam Gilchrist and Mark Boucher can give it a good, clean thump when he's got his eye in.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Among active players:

India - Sachin Tendulkar(86.56), Virendra Sehwag(101.95), Yuvraj Singh(89.93), Saurav Ganguly
Aus - Adam Gilchrist(89.81)
Pak - Inzamam Ul Haq, Shahid Afridi(101.28)
SL - Sanath Jayasuriya(89.56), Aravinda DeSilva(81.19)
SA - Herschelle Gibbs, Lance Klusener(89.84), Jonty Rhodes(80.65)
NZ - Nathan Astle, Chris Cairns(81.52)
WI - Brian Lara, Ricardo Powell(93.06)
Eng - Marcus Trescothick(88.75)

I have mentioned some players who do not have a strike rate > 80, that's because they can be really explosive on their day and so deserve to be included.
Also, I avoided freak stats by some players.

[Edited on 10/1/2002 by anilramavarma]

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that's a fair list. Those were the players that came to mind immeditately when selecting the most destructive player. For Pak, I'd add Nazir to your two.

But here's the hard one: which of these players do you consider the most destructive player?

Since its ODI's we're talking about,Glichrist is over with his job long before any spinner can have a say.
That's why I still included him in my top few consistently most destructive ODI players. Can't ignore his claim huh?

(I said I'd taken him off most lists. For example, a while back people were talking about Gilli best opener, best allrounder, and even one of the very top batsmen in the game- either format. "destructive" is OK. players like Afridi are in contention here.)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Gotchya
The problem with these guyz is, that they have their days, other than those they look very ordinary.
I think you could say that about any player, even the 3 you've highlighted

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
Although I didn't see his innings thanks to Ch4 not even doing highlights, I'm suprised no one has mentioned Astle...I mean 222 off 153 balls...in a test?
A one-off freak innings, most of which came when NZ needed a lot of runs with only an injured Cairns to bat at the other end. Opportunistm but swallow<>summer