• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring & the most Stylish Batsman

Who is most Stylish Batsman?

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
I voted for Ponting, instantly, but now I'm not so sure.

I think Ponting is awesome, but the way he defends down the pitch on the leg side is an ugly (but effective enough) shot that he plays, which to me isn't as stylish as some of the other players mentioned.

If we were watching just a highlights package it would be Ponting for mine.

I think Tendulkar should be added to the poll btw.

I dont find Ponting a very aesthetically pleasing batsman, his audacious methods and the rate at which he scores are exciting, the way he punches good length balls most players would defend straight for four and his array of pull shots is entertaining, but I've never considered him a 'pretty' batsman.
The shovel backlift and the shuffle in his footwork look a little ungainly compared to the likes of Flemming, Dravid, M Waugh, etc.
Much the same (although not quite as bad) as Hayden, ugly but effective.

As for Afridi, it depends of whether the question is 'most entertaining' or 'most stylish', I consider myself one of these old cricket stuck-in-the-muds who'd much rather watch an elegant purposeful innings than some bloke run out and swing from the ass with very little tact at all. But even I must admit, when Afridi bats I sit up in my seat and pay attention, because he brings action to the game, you know he's going to either slay the bowling or (most likely) get out pretty soon, gets the adrenalin pumping and ups the tempo of the game for better or worse.

But seeing as the title of the thread was 'most stylish' I must discount him for although he may be entertaining I can assure you Afridi's batting has bugger-all style or class.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oh no, not a definition war. I don't want to have to get a dictionary to follow this argument damn it!
Can you tell I'm gunning for an English scholarship this year?
(As well as an all round excellence scholarship, and maybe even a Drama one...)

Yay for a double major in English and Film!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Frightened and excited can fall in the same category oddly enough. You can become excited by a terrible event, BUT word play has no more relevance to this discussion.
Indeed, but it's interesting nonetheless. :) Had never really thought about the matter before and might just do so now.
I understand how you see it really, Afridi has never been a huge favourite of mine as he is more of a wicket chucker than a legitimate hitter for me. Chris Cairns would be my definition of an exciting player.
Absolutely. Cairns was a batsman who happened to be capable of smashing the ball one hell of a long way (and quite often) but usually did it by playing proper strokes rather than just swinging randomly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Absolutely. Cairns was a batsman who happened to be capable of smashing the ball one hell of a long way (and quite often) but usually did it by playing proper strokes rather than just swinging randomly.
And his fudge isn't half bad.

Flem274*

123/5
Can you tell I'm gunning for an English scholarship this year?
(As well as an all round excellence scholarship, and maybe even a Drama one...)

Yay for a double major in English and Film!
Good luck for that mate, hope ya get it. I'm still trying to pass level 2 and failing miserably. Creative writing is my only talent.:laugh:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont find Ponting a very aesthetically pleasing batsman, his audacious methods and the rate at which he scores are exciting, the way he punches good length balls most players would defend straight for four and his array of pull shots is entertaining, but I've never considered him a 'pretty' batsman.
The shovel backlift and the shuffle in his footwork look a little ungainly compared to the likes of Flemming, Dravid, M Waugh, etc.
Much the same (although not quite as bad) as Hayden, ugly but effective.

As for Afridi, it depends of whether the question is 'most entertaining' or 'most stylish', I consider myself one of these old cricket stuck-in-the-muds who'd much rather watch an elegant purposeful innings than some bloke run out and swing from the ass with very little tact at all. But even I must admit, when Afridi bats I sit up in my seat and pay attention, because he brings action to the game, you know he's going to either slay the bowling or (most likely) get out pretty soon, gets the adrenalin pumping and ups the tempo of the game for better or worse.

But seeing as the title of the thread was 'most stylish' I must discount him for although he may be entertaining I can assure you Afridi's batting has bugger-all style or class.
Fair enough. Commentators seem to use bludgeon a lot when Hayden and Ponting is at the crease and I guess that's probably the best adjective.

I like how you mentioned Fleming, he'd be my most stylish left handed batsmen.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Good luck for that mate, hope ya get it. I'm still trying to pass level 2 and failing miserably. Creative writing is my only talent.:laugh:

I think I passed level 2 twice with my credits :laugh:, such an odd system really. You can just stick it out and passing becomes easy, excelling is awful though as you have to get every little thing right, a year or two ago I had marks of E E E E E E E A in an achievement standard and had the overall just achieved grade. :dry:

Flem274*

123/5
I think I passed level 2 twice with my credits :laugh:, such an odd system really. You can just stick it out and passing becomes easy, excelling is awful though as you have to get every little thing right, a year or two ago I had marks of E E E E E E E A in an achievement standard and had the overall just achieved grade. :dry:
Tell me about it, excellence is almost impossible to get.

As for sticking it out, I can't even do that. I'm just not interested in school anymore. I'd rather just leave now, get a job and write novels in my spare time. Didn't go down well with my parents though.

*Waits for topic police to come*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

As for sticking it out, I can't even do that. I'm just not interested in school anymore. I'd rather just leave now, get a job and write novels in my spare time. Didn't go down well with my parents though.

:offtopic:

Athlai

Not Terrible

I got a bit more stuck in this year, Excellence in everything in English so far and a couple others in whatever else, one more and I may just get a $3k scholarship for excellence from Victoria Uni but the amount I already have may get me something from the government and the local bodies who like to give money away for such things.

I think this has a lot to do with most stylish batsman personally. Imagine Styris struggling with NCEA and turning to a life of crime...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I got a bit more stuck in this year, Excellence in everything in English so far and a couple others in whatever else, one more and I may just get a $3k scholarship for excellence from Victoria Uni but the amount I already have may get me something from the government and the local bodies who like to give money away for such things.

I think this has a lot to do with most stylish batsman personally. Imagine Styris struggling with NCEA and turning to a life of crime...
How old are you guys? :huh:

Flem274*

123/5

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can imagine him and his pale white face in a south Auckland ghetto...