• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell starc

halba

International 12th Man
There must be serious pressure on him in the team? Bazball will target him and he'll go for 6 RPO. Surely Neser has to start.

Starc is a wayward fast bowler overseas.

Molehill

International Captain
It could be he was just rusty yesterday and he comes back better today. But he went at 6 per over with India not even overly attacking him. England won't be leaving stuff and that spell would've been more like 10 against them.

halba

International 12th Man
It could be he was just rusty yesterday and he comes back better today. But he went at 6 per over with India not even overly attacking him. England won't be leaving stuff and that spell would've been more like 10 against them.
yep he looks like a major concern to me. in a 5 test series, how will we carry him. Even 2nd backup Sean Abbott is better than Starc in english conditions imo.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mythell Starc busted yet again. Australia will struggle in the Ashes unless Haze is fully fit for the majority of the series.

Burgey

Starc will play the first test. I can’t see Haze being risked at this point.

Someone needs to talk to Cummins about the fields he sets for him though. If he’s going to start by pitching it up to see if it’s swinging, which is his MO, he needs a deep, straight mid off & mid on and a straight extra cover with a gap at cover point so if it isn’t swinging then the gap for blokes to try to drive into is squarer with the ball going across them to three slips, gully and backward point.

If the ball isn’t swinging and he dials back his length, then the cover moves squarer and you might take a slip across to midwicket.

Either way he needs to have fields set which have him bowling in the channel. He was ordinary and rusty in the WTC final but not assisted by the fields set for him imo.

Don’t have much doubt he will be picked for the first test. If not it will be Neser over Haze, given the latter has had no cricket for over six months

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain

Someone needs to talk to Cummins about the fields he sets for him though. If he’s going to start by pitching it up to see if it’s swinging, which is his MO, he needs a deep, straight mid off & mid on and a straight extra cover with a gap at cover point so if it isn’t swinging then the gap for blokes to try to drive into is squarer with the ball going across them to three slips, gully and backward point.

If the ball isn’t swinging and he dials back his length, then the cover moves squarer and you might take a slip across to midwicket.

Either way he needs to have fields set which have him bowling in the channel. He was ordinary and rusty in the WTC final but not assisted by the fields set for him imo.

Don’t have much doubt he will be picked for the first test. If not it will be Neser over Haze, given the latter has had no cricket for over six months
For all of Crawley's weaknesses, he hits a damn good cover drive and he'll do it from ball one if it's wide and pitched up. I have a feeling the very first over of England's innings could be all action one way or another.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I wouldn't disagree with that but presumably Cummins thinks that by not having a deeper mid on and mid off, you're encouraging the batsmen to drive and hopefully nick off if it swings.

Burgey

Yeah I suppose so but the blokes he's bowling to will be driving at it anyway. The last thing as a captain I'd want to see is him bowling too short and straight because he doesn't want to risk being driven - it takes away his best weapons with the new ball. I think he did a bit of that in the WTC final. it's hard to know how much of it was also just rustiness, but he needs to hit a fullish length first up to see if it's swinging.

His first spells even when he's been bowling well over the past 12-18 months often only last 3-4 overs anyway unless it's hooping. Which I sort of don't mind because Cummins (who's often been first change) is a better option hitting the deck than Starc anyway.

chris.hinton

International Captain
There must be serious pressure on him in the team? Bazball will target him and he'll go for 6 RPO. Surely Neser has to start.

Starc is a wayward fast bowler overseas.
We will target ALL bowlers. They are old and injury prone. Expect one of them to cry about it and go home

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
All bowlers? All of them? Gonna be difficult when Anderson is on the same team. On the other hand, he won't have so far to go home and cry when his oldness and injury-proneness does him in :ph34r:

(That'll be my contribution to this silliness)

Kirkut

International Regular
Starc probably just underperformed against India, he was a gun bowler on those slow decks in Pakistan and has a good record against England.

All top bowlers have that one team against whom they tend to underperform, Steyn against England comes to mind.