• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson vs Allan Davidson

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson is garbage, these same members wanted him off the team one year ago when he was playing in the west indies.
Amazing this clown doesn't ever seem to get banned for his blatant & constant trolling :laugh:

Uppercut

Can't possibly compare him to Davidson, but to be fair to Johnson, the afternoon spell where he took two wickets in an over then broke Smith's hand and bloodied Kallis's chin was indeed probably the best I've ever seen.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't worry about that. Check a look at some of sammy2's posts, if you're not familiar with.

Anyway, this is clearly hugely premature. Johnson has been an oustanding Test bowler and more-than-useful lower-order batsman... for the last 8 Tests. Whether aussie's white, or blue, or red, grandad thinks he's got the talent to match Davidson is really neither here nor there, as all sorts of people think all sorts of players have the talent to match other players.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But until he's actually covered a fair amount of the airmiles of his Test career, there's really not much point talking as if he had. He's barely off the runway. "Can Mitchell Johnson be as good as Alan Davidson?" would've been a far, far better thread title.

One thing to note that they both have in common is a relatively advanced age. Johnson was 27 before he became Test-class; Davidson was 29. Davidson also played on for just 4 years after that, retiring at 33 (that wasn't unusual for Australian players in his day). That's the reason he's never considered up with the very, very best of the seam-bowlers.
Haa, i love how you guys love to twist everything

Secondly yes my intention by starting the thread was sort of trying to put forward the idea if Johnno could be as good as Davidson one day, rather than a straight comparison ATS of his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazing this clown doesn't ever seem to get banned for his blatant & constant trolling :laugh:
It seems to take a fair while these days. Think how long that bond21 clown - who was even more of a clown than this'un - took to get banned.

I'm sure there's reasons for it - we've just got to lump it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haa, i love how you guys love to twist everything
Twist everything? :huh: I wasn't twisting anything, I was expressing the fact that the colour of yo gramps's skin isn't really of the remotest importance, so you really didn't need to mention it. I was also saying that you've essentially asked a question that is pretty redundant, when you could have asked the question you appear to be asking in a rather more clear way TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One thing that has impressed me in particular with Johnson is the way he's stepped up to be the spearhead in the absence of Lee & Clark. Lee did a similar thing when McGrath chuntered off of the test scene too. Wish one of our blokes could do the same the next time Fred gets broken. Sidey managed it for a brief while, but it seems the effort of bowling quicker than he had for the majority of his county career has irreparably buggered his back. :mellow:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I always got the impression McGrath really nurtured these young guys coming through, I do wonder if there's anyone in our team doing the same.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I always got the impression McGrath really nurtured these young guys coming through, I do wonder if there's anyone in our team doing the same.
Come the end of the Windies test series, Broad was coming on quite nicely. Not a spearhead of course but more a go-to-man. It would be nice if Jimmy was given a consistent run in the side as well. Then maybe he could step-up instead of always playing for his place. The Aussies selectors stuck with Johnson after a rank poor tour of the Windies but the likes of Anderson are dropped regardless of their last test performance. It can't do much for their development.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no-one in our team anywhere near as good as McGrath, hasn't been for ages, and the couple of recent types who had the ability to be somewhere close to him (Caddick and Fraser) failed to do so for different reasons.

There's no-one anywhere near as good as McGrath in any team very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never even knew he bowled left-arm. Which perhaps shows how much of a nonenity he was. :ph34r:

Uppercut

Come the end of the Windies test series, Broad was coming on quite nicely. Not a spearhead of course but more a go-to-man. It would be nice if Jimmy was given a consistent run in the side as well. Then maybe he could step-up instead of always playing for his place. The Aussies selectors stuck with Johnson after a rank poor tour of the Windies but the likes of Anderson are dropped regardless of their last test performance. It can't do much for their development.
Agree with the principle of what you say, but tbh the England management err too far on the opposite end of the spectrum. Panesar was given far too many games when it was obvious he needed some time out of the team to work on his bowling and start enjoying his cricket again. Ditto Ian Bell.