• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson v Jaques Kallis

uvelocity

International Coach
The south african batting allrounder, with 166 tests and 325 odi's, and south africa's greatest ever player

versus

The australian fast bowler and capable number 8/9, with 57 tests and 136 odi's, widely ridiculed for most of his career before turning into a clover clad bowling prodigy

[spreadsheet]
kallis: 13k test runs at 55 with a sr of 45 :yawn:
johnson: 1600 @22 & 57

kallis: 292 wickets at 32 &sr 69 :yawn:
johnson: 254 wickets at 27 @ sr 49

kallis: in 166 matches 45 tons. 21 in wins. 82 saf wins in his career didn't require a kallis ton.
johnson: in 57 tests 11 matches with 5wi. 9 wins from those.

[/spreadsheet]

so who would cw prefer to have in their team. The consistent accumulator, statistically one of the greatest ever, a colossus of the game, or the mercurial johnson - sometimes a burden on his team, other times able to take a 5 day, 22 man game and turn it on its head by himself.

matchwinner mitch for me.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
OK, I know that to a first approximation Mitch is currently God bowling cruise missiles but let's not be silly now. Kallis by a long, long way.

Last edited:

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He types to the left...
He types to the rightttttttt
That Uvelocity
His posting is ****e!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Uvelocity making up for his good posts in the Aus Politcs thread by making a terrible post here.

Balance is restored.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
turns out i indeed cannot remember uvelocity making any good posts in any thread

uvelocity

International Coach
anyway im not debating who has had the better career, that's not in contention. what im on about is who would i pick in my team, given the choice. if i had to win a test somewhere tomorrow, would you pick kallis for his stodgy batting and equally stodgy bowling, or would you pick the tearaway who hits mugs in their scone for fun?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
anyway im not debating who has had the better career, that's not in contention. what im on about is who would i pick in my team, given the choice. if i had to win a test somewhere tomorrow, would you pick kallis for his stodgy batting and equally stodgy bowling, or would you pick the tearaway who hits mugs in their scone for fun?
Well, it depends where the hole in the team is.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If it is current, Johnson. Since Kallis is retired.
If it is all-time, Kallis. Johnson might not even feature in all time Australia team.

And Kallis is more of a batsman than a bowler. So apples to oranges.