• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson or Ashley Noffke

Spinksy

Banned
True but to be perfectly honest I don't think that he is the right player for the test squad. Mitchell Johnson is quick and has the edge over Ashley Noffke in my opinion so I doubt that he (Ashley Noffke) is easily better than Mitchell Johnson.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll go Johnson.

I reckon Noffke is just a good first class bowler who doesn't have anything special to work with in the International game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As opposed to Johnson who's just a good club bowler with nothing to offer in the First-Class game?

:ph34r:

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Noffke. At least he has proven himself at first class level where as Johnson hasn't really done anything special. However If I was going to pick an attack I would have Bracken ahead of both of them

pup11

International Coach
Seriously i have always rated Johnson as a long term prospect for Australia and i still think he can be an awesome bowler in every form of the game, but as far as as test cricket is concerned he is just not looking good enough at the moment, he would have to learn to move the ball both ways if he wants to survive, he needs variations like slower balls and yorkers too to keep the batsmen guessing, but all he is doing atm is hitting the deck hard and to make it worse his lines have been all over the place, so i would presist with him in Odi's and T20, but for test cricket i would look at likes of Noffke, Bollinger or even Tait (if he shows good form in domestic cricket this summer), and give Johnson time to work on his for the longer format of the game.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm. Johnson's action is quite unusual, he can get good shape away from right-handers even on a flat deck when the ball isn't swinging. I suppose that's why they've persevered with him. But if he has no variation and keeps getting his lines wrong, Noffke's the better bowler by a distance.

Burgey

Seriously i have always rated Johnson as a long term prospect for Australia and i still think he can be an awesome bowler in every form of the game, but as far as as test cricket is concerned he is just not looking good enough at the moment, he would have to learn to move the ball both ways if he wants to survive, he needs variations like slower balls and yorkers too to keep the batsmen guessing, but all he is doing atm is hitting the deck hard and to make it worse his lines have been all over the place, so i would presist with him in Odi's and T20, but for test cricket i would look at likes of Noffke, Bollinger or even Tait (if he shows good form in domestic cricket this summer), and give Johnson time to work on his for the longer format of the game.
It'll be interesting to see how he comes back after a rest. he bowled reasonably well v SL, and early on v India he did an OK job. By the time the WI rolled around, he looked tired and his action was really ragged. Maybe he didn't cope well with the extra work load of bowling in tests for the first time, as well as ODIs.

I'd like to be able to fast forward 12 months to see if he can swing the red ball in England. If he can, the tour could make him. Conversely, .....

Mr Mxyzptlk

True but to be perfectly honest I don't think that he is the right player for the test squad. Mitchell Johnson is quick and has the edge over Ashley Noffke in my opinion so I doubt that he (Ashley Noffke) is easily better than Mitchell Johnson.
Tino Best is quicker than Jerome Taylor. Spot the better bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It'll be interesting to see how he comes back after a rest. he bowled reasonably well v SL, and early on v India he did an OK job.
I really don't think he did. His figures looked okay but he was regularly awful and only bowled a couple of good spells in both series combined IMO - both with the old ball. I had a lot of hope for Johnson which was completely contrary to my usual "prove yourself at First Class level" mindset, but after seeing him for an extended period at Test level, I don't really think he should be there.

I'm not convinced of Noffke either TBH, nor Bollinger. None of them have really done enough consistently to make me comfortable with them slotting in to a Test lineup. I'd probably opt for Bollinger myself but I'd be in no way confident. For Tests in the subcontinent I'd certainly pick Bracken ahead of the lot but I'm not sure he'd be effective elsewhere.

As for the thread question itself though, Noffke comfortably as it doesn't specify bowling only.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Doug Bollinger, if we are going on bowling alone, because batting should not matter if yu are being picked as a bowler and yu already have Lee and Clark as certanties.