• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey vs. Ricky Ponting

Who's better?

• Total voters

Fiery

Banned
No Ponting is still the best. There are other candidates there that you should probably mention too, e.g Hayden, Gilchrist

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I reckon it alternates between the two every 3 innings at the absolute most.

Ponting will soon reclaim the title when he slams his next 176 and Hussey manages a mere 69.

Ergo, I demand you apologise for failing to make this a multiple-choice poll. :@

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No Ponting is still the best. There are other candidates there that you should probably mention too, e.g Hayden, Gilchrist
Gilchrist hasn't been Australia's best batsman for 4 years.

Hayden never has been. :ph34r:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It's quite an open ended question as it doesn't really say what criteria are involved, but in most if not all cases, Ponting is better.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket needs an allstar weekend like the NBA so these disputes could be settled. There could be bat-offs, bowl-offs, keep-offs, run-out-offs and catch-offs. Then we wouldn't need these threads. Would love to see Ponting and Hussey in a bat-off, not sure how it would work though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's been something of a surfeit of them in the last 2 or 3 days, certainly.

Some (Ambrose v McGrath) are interesting. Some (this) less so. Some (the completely irrelevant and humour-only ones) are silly and pointless if you're going to post them in CC.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
OK, let me put it this way...

If Test centuries start to become fewer and further between for Ponting, people will start questioning whether he's still Australia's best batsman. Now I don't know how much cricket Hussey has in him, but let's suppose that the strength of Australia's middle order becomes the main characteristic of Australian cricket in a Post-Warne/McGrath World (tongue-in-check), and over the next few seasons Hussey is Australia's leading run-scorer. (That's a lot of ifs, but Ponting could score a century tomorrow, so bear with me.)

In this case, would Hussey become the best Australian batsman or does Ponting have some special aura of greatness about him that his knocks would be like Tendulkar and Lara's in the latter stage of their careers?

My impression of Australian cricket (and it's just an impression) is that batting is about runs, runs, runs, with centuries being symbolic of that thirst for scoring. I'm not saying that it's as simple as scoring the most runs, but if Hussey becomes prolific and a matchwinner can he pass Ponting?

If this happens, I wanna know if anyone picked it early.

howardj

International Coach
OK this Hussey joke has been funny for two years, but seriously when is it going to end? The bubble has to burst...doesn't it?

bond21

Banned
wow thats ignorant.

around 2002-2003 Hayden was compared to Bradman by Steve Waugh.

If Ponting is the best, Hayden is a close 2nd