• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Slater

slippy888

International Captain
Does this man mean anything to Australia fans did he not reinvent how a opening Australian batsman can play.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a legend as far as I care. Always felt both times he was dropped it was a bit harsh. First one came like three tests after a double century and just a generally awesome first few years of test cricket

Upon recall of course had that terrific 98/99 ashes where he got 3 centuries, and when he got dropped in 2001 ashes it was only after 3 poor tests in a series we were absolutely crushing anyway. He'd had a good year leading up to those poor 3 tests too, did well in the Windies massacre and made decent contributions in the Laxman series, not to mention a blazing 77 in his first innings of that fateful ashes series

Langer did perfectly well of course but I feel Slater was robbed a chance to become an ATG opener. If he'd been a little better at not choking in the 90s his record would look awesome. Scored runs all around the world

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
An entertainer. Loved watching him blast the new ball. An early Sehwag though a lesser version. Should have played a few more years if not for Australia possessing such embarrassment of riches.

Never really kicked off in ODIs. Thought he turned the corner around the time he played that innings in Titan Cup SF, coming down the order. It was not to be.

A **** in the field, that Dravid incident was ridiculous.

Comes across as a lousy commentator with not much insights to add. Probably deserves the criticism he gets in that aspect.

mr_mister

Also another cool stat re Slats, ignoring a couple of one off tests he played, from 20 test series he only had 4 series where he didn't pass 90 at least once. 2 of them being his final 2.

This stat would be cooler if it was passing 100 sure, but it shows how he would rarely go missing for an entire series, always pulling out a big innings at some point and nearly always in the first or second test of one to make an early impact and stamp Australia's dominance

Compare that to Tubby Taylor who went around 20 innings without a fifty in 96-97 when Slater was unfairly dropped and it's hard not to think captaincy can sometimes blur sensible team selection policy.

Last edited:

stephen

Yeah Taylor got a lot of slack that Slater didn't get. I think there was some behind the scenes stuff going on with Slats - some stuff to do with women which I think gave him a shorter rope than he otherwise would have had.

He did well though to keep Hayden, Elliot and a few other domestic openers out for as long as he did. I mean Hayden was belting the door down with both hands in the 90s and barely got a run (Ambrose ripping out his off stump a few times notwithstanding).

I think Slater would have played another 5 years of circumstances had been different. A bit like Bevan in ODIs in that regard. And many other players in the 90s/00s Australia era.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ He was diagnosed as bipolar some years ago. Have read that towards the end of his international career there were some signs he was going through a bit but it wasn’t picked up/ dealt with. Waugh wrote that he would have dealt with him differently as skipper if he had his time again.

There were some signs things weren’t great - the dravid incident in 01 being one and the other being his AB medal antics earlier the same year. Word also was he went out on the piss mid-4th test in the 01 Ashes. Am not sure if that’s true or not.

His commentary went backwards after a decent start imo. Always thought he was good on brekkie radio though, which he did for ten years or so

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I rate him higher than Hayden as an Aust opener.

He's not a great ball by ball commentator (but he's far from the worst), but I think he's a very good host when he isn't doing some faux larrikin crap. Polished presenter.

stephen

Thought he was better.
You're the first person I've heard hold that opinion and I'm not sure there's any way to back that up statistically, so I wonder why. I mean he was very good, don't get me wrong and he kept Hayden out of the side for a number of years but I'm trying to wrap my mind around how he could have been better than Hayden.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there was some behind the scenes stuff going on with Slats - some stuff to do with women which I think gave him a shorter rope than he otherwise would have had.
Reputedly rolling Gilly's missus wouldn't have helped

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Loved that excited energy Slater brought to the crease with him. Was one of the more entertaining batsmen of his time to watch, as it was hard to know just what shot he was going to pull out of the top drawer next.