• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Men's Hockey thread

PhoenixFire

International Coach
For those that know their hockey, are you able to tell me what significance the dotted semi-circle holds in front of each goal?
Are you talking about the 'D'?

You can only score from inside it and any foul commited inside it by the defending team concedes a PC and any foul commited by the attacking team concedes a hit outside the 'D'.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's the solid D, which I understand, but then about 3 metres further out there's a broken D.

**** Dutch level the scores with 25 seconds to go. Reckon the bloke who scored both should've been sent off though [/bias]

Son Of Coco

For those that know their hockey, are you able to tell me what significance the dotted semi-circle holds in front of each goal?

Kookaburras vs Netherlands has been great to watch so far. Especially seeing as we're leading :p
It'd be the 5 yard line I think. No idea under what circumstances it's significant though. It's been years since I played hockey.

If we could manage to not give the Dutch any penalty corners they'd never score.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Didn't get to catch any of the Aus v Ned game, the BBC thought it was more important to show re-runs of Diving than the 2 best teams in world hockey going against each other 8-)

Was Taeke Taekema (sp?) the reason behind the Dutch scoring from PCs?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't you have freeview or any form of digital you could have red buttoned it on? :(

Try the iPlayer now, can get pretty much everything on there

Johnners

Didn't get to catch any of the Aus v Ned game, the BBC thought it was more important to show re-runs of Diving than the 2 best teams in world hockey going against each other 8-)

Was Taeke Taekema (sp?) the reason behind the Dutch scoring from PCs?
Yeah Taekema scored both of their goals from PCs. Should've been off imo, took out Ockenden in a fairly dangerous and quite late tackle early in the 2nd half. Only received a Green Card for it (of course, I'm bias though :p)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Absolutely gutted with NZ not qualifying, can't believe we didn't beat China. Were all over them, but just couldn't put the ball in. And China's second goal came from a bull**** PC too. FFS. Haven't seen our game vs Germany yet, but I was never confident about beating them. Hopefully Spain thrash Korea tonight, and then we'll be playing for 5th.

On another note, the broken D outside the circle is 5m from the solid D, and for any free hit inside it all players must be 5m from the ball (as opposed to only opposition players).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, I have everything like that, it just wasn't on any of the 7 mother****ing screens!!!
That's stupid, with the tecnhology available you think you'd be pretty much able to choose anything, even if it's basic cameras and no commentary

Salamuddin

International Debutant
bet no one expected Australia - Netherlands to be the bronze medal match?
Its a bit of a surprise that the Aussies are going for bronze but not a total shock by any means whatsoever.

Spain are a very good team and in Maurit Hendriks possess one of t
he best coaches in the world.
I thought they were in with a reasonable chance against the Aussies and I was proved right.

Also thought there may have been some complacency on the part of the Aussie think tank.
Barry Dancer was pleased to have drawn Spain rather than Germany but his comments that Spain were "more predictable" struck me as being very odd.
No team coached by Maurit Hendriks is "predictable". He always has tricks up his sleeve that he reveals at the most opportune moments.