• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Memories of cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If one casts one's mind back to those far-seeming days before those mounted harbingers of the apocalypse (Death, Pestilence, Famine & Bog Roll Shortage) cantered down the empty streets of what was once human civilisation one vaguely recalls this thing called "cricket".

Oh, I know it seems strange to think there was a time where human beings willingly gathered in crowds of sometimes more than five people, but I recall the sight of two men, clearly clad for warfare, armed as they were with heavy lumps of wood and protected with helmets and armour, striding out to face eleven others, one of whose number paused for a moment to masturbate enigmatically using a shiny red orb to rub on his crotch, before running towards a helmeted wood-bearer and propelling the very same orb at him.

Halcyon days, people, halcyon days.

I grow weary of my own conceit: I'm missing cricket. More than I expected to. With its absence I've forcibly become hyper-aware of how much time and space it occupies in my life. Even if I'm not watching it, I'm checking cricinfo or the BBC for scorecards (other websites are available) or news of selections, injuries and outrages.

I fully appreciate the need for its pause (I'm not a ****; at least not that much of one) but I miss its narrative drive and subplots.

What, dear reader, do you most miss about it?

cnerd123

likes this
I'm lucky that cricket's still been happening in HK so I don't feel like I miss it. I was there at HKCC for the Premier League OD game between DLSW and HKCC (https://youtu.be/No0aVabUpmU), been going for nets, played a few games, and even scored my first 50!

What I miss from the general cancellation of everything is that there was a ton of really good and relevant Associate Cricket scheduled that has all been scrapped. The SL vs Eng tests would have been great, and if i'm being honest I was low-key looking forward to the IPL. And the Road and Safety series was fun!

I feel like there was so much good storyline and so much exciting cricket in store that we may now never get back :(