• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaningless and stupid cricket statistics

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can use stats (and comments about career average) all you like to put down Gilchrist, but the fact remains he has made more runs in WC finals than any other batsman (I think?). That's one stat that's irrefutable.

lol here we go

"nOt OuTs BoOsT aVeRaGeS" v 73.0 coming up
Without checking, Ponting played one extra WC final in 96 and also got a big hungie in one of em like Gilly so it could be tight

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Piss off douche.

Didnt say that, never have. I’ve said numerous times averages don’t paint an accurate picture of a player’s value/output in the middle order in ODIs.

You know that, so you don’t need to belittle me with the stupid capitalised and lower case immature bull**** posting.
TJB still reeling from this 2 hours later.

Burgey

It's basically just pick your preferred mediocrity between those two outfits. Maybe red is a favourite colour, I just don't know.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, we can consider those variables without having this weird need to defend English players at all costs. It remains as much a fact that longevity doesn't mean he's better on the field than other bowlers nor does it alter his markedly worse away record. It's not a reflection of other players' ability that they didn't get the opportunities.
You are completely and deliberately misinterpreting what I have said. Where have I said he is better than other bowlers? Where is the evidence that I have a "weird need to defend English players at all costs"?

I simply pointed out a fact. James Anderson has taken more Test wickets than any other pace bowler. This doesn't make him an ATG and even Anderson himself acknowledged that when he passed Glenn McGrath's record.

If my stating facts, and a statistical one at that, concerns you then it is your problem, not mine. Your OP invited members to state their views on "meaningless and stupid cricket statistics". I am in no was a slave to statistics but certain facts are irrefutable and my initial point was in response to the many attempts to qualify a fact with variables of which any cricket follower would be well aware.

Starfighter

You are completely and deliberately misinterpreting what I have said. Where have I said he is better than other bowlers? Where is the evidence that I have a "weird need to defend English players at all costs"?
In a very large number instances where something less than complementary is said about an English player you feel the need to shoot back. Your 'Anderson averages 24 at the MCG' argument is a prominent one I've seen more than once, and being a single ground is the prefect example of a stat that belongs in this thread.

You explained it yourself:
England - because I grew up there and, as I said in my interview, blood is thicker than water.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
You are nit-picking here. I am openly a supporter of England in Test cricket ... this doesn't constitute a "weird need to defend English players at all costs".

As for my mentioning Anderson's average at the MCG, it was done in response to those who claimed Anderson hadn't performed in Australia or with a Kookaburra ball. I will agree with you that it is the sort of statistic that belongs in this thread as it is cherry picking but it was cherry picking in response to others using selectively cherry picked statistics .

I would appreciate it if you wish to be critical of my posts that you refrain from making sweeping generalisation. Because I responded to a groundswell of derogatory comments about Anderson isn't evidence that I "shoot back" at comments that are less than complimentary about other England players.

All this because I stated a simple statistical fact in my initial post in this thread.

TheJediBrah

Smartest guy on any cricket team he's ever played in should be able to handle this alone...
Honestly I wanted to let it go because I felt a bit bad for calling you out on it. You've copped enough **** about it here in the past already.

If people out there can be anti-vaccines, or believe in flat-earth, or think Covid is a hoax, then there's no reason you can't believe that not outs boost averages. Carry on bud.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Honestly I wanted to let it go because I felt a bit bad for calling you out on it. You've copped enough **** about it here in the past already.

If people out there can be anti-vaccines, or believe in flat-earth, or think Covid is a hoax, then there's no reason you can't believe that not outs boost averages. Carry on bud.
That's more like it. Much more the level of bollocks I expect from you.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Stats used to point out that because a batsman only played a third of his innings at #3, he can't possibly be the best #3 since 1970

...hello Viv

Last edited:

Starfighter

Average after 'N' tests. Then conveniently ignore the dismal record since then to big up one's favorite player.
Or conversely, excluding a large early chunk of a player's career. I always find it funny that this is often done with Imran, as if his figures weren't good enough already despite the fact he took a while to sort his action out.

I do actually think that there is some merit to looking at how players varied over their careers, particularly with someone like Botham who was a completely different player after his back injuries and weight gain from '82, or even, alluding to the discussion above, differences in batting position over a career where it is a factor in the relevant discussion, but such things are rarely given the context they require to be meaningful and are usually just a disingenuous way of trying to eulogise/belittle liked/disliked players.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Stats for not out innings, because some players have more not outs, some people say, they get an inflated average.
I always say, what if they were allowed to complete their not out innings, they may have had an even better average