• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matt Prior vs. Joseph Buttler

Who was/is your preferred Keeper-batsman?

• Total voters

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Auto correct won't let me type Jos
2. Both earned the test gloves on the back of figuring out how to stay in the XI, with runs, while figuring out the keeping later
3. Both selected ahead of superior glovemen
4. This may all be Adam Gilchrist's fault

Jack1

International Debutant
Prior in test cricket. Buttler is ahead by miles in three formats since he’s so superior to Prior in limited overs

Buttler has time to catch up. In time he may get his average above 40 in tests. He has the talent to do that. Buttler needs to prove himself with the gloves still over an extended period of time also.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Strongly disagree that Buttler ‘figured out the keeping later’, he’s always been inconsistent while also being a natural athlete who can keep well. Probably his worst game with the gloves was two weeks ago but his keeping helped win the World Cup.

Bijed

International Regular
I did my natural thing of assuming this was tests. If it's cross-format, which probably makes more sense in terms of it being an actual question, I'd go for Buttler

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah I’d probably pick Buttler if given the choice to play them in all formats. If he had batted most of his career behind the kind of batting we had in 2009-13 he’d probably have a couple more test tons.

Still, some of the knocks Prior hit during that time were amazing, like the one at Lords in 2011 coming in at 62-5, or the match saving tons away in India and New Zealand. Not many keepers have played multiple innings that good in tests.

Bijed

International Regular
I always feel Prior is one of those who goes a bit unappreciated by the general cricketing public as I think a lot of more casual fans kind of think his level of output with the bat is sort of expected from a wicketkeeper these days when it's actually bloody impressive and hard to find.

Show most people someone who averaged 40 batting 6/7 and was also a decent bowler and they'll probably acknowledge them as a really valuable all-rounder. But if said batsmen keeps instead of bowls, they're value to a side doesn't always seem to register in the same way.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There really isn't much of a discussion to be had here other than what has been said already.
I always feel Prior is one of those who goes a bit unappreciated by the general cricketing public as I think a lot of more casual fans kind of think his level of output with the bat is sort of expected from a wicketkeeper these days when it's actually bloody impressive and hard to find.

Show most people someone who averaged 40 batting 6/7 and was also a decent bowler and they'll probably acknowledge them as a really valuable all-rounder. But if said batsmen keeps instead of bowls, they're value to a side doesn't always seem to register in the same way.
This is true. Not many keepers average in that range. QdK, Watling and Ames off the top of my head. Very few teams have 6 batsmen averaging over 40. Even peak WI made do with Logie. Almost none have a keeper who can bat that well

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah Prior is definitely underrated in general. Rather like Trott he was absolutely key to that England side but it all just ended very quickly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It always upset me how bad Prior was in ODIs. But as a Test batsman he was head and shoulders above Buttler for me

morgieb

Yeah I get the feeling that too many people think his entire career behind the stumps was akin to 2007. In fact from 09-12 he was actually pretty safe as a keeper. Not incredible but decent enough and better than Buttler.

Just a shame that his longetivity was kind of bad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Strongly disagree that Buttler ‘figured out the keeping later’, he’s always been inconsistent while also being a natural athlete who can keep well. Probably his worst game with the gloves was two weeks ago but his keeping helped win the World Cup.
Remember how they were contrasting his keeping against Dowrich's and showing how to keep using Buttler's keeping footage just earlier during this lockdown.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There really isn't much of a discussion to be had here other than what has been said already.

This is true. Not many keepers average in that range. QdK, Watling and Ames off the top of my head. Very few teams have 6 batsmen averaging over 40. Even peak WI made do with Logie. Almost none have a keeper who can bat that well
I remember in the late 90s marveling at how many batsmen in the Australian side who averaged 40+. At that point I considered it the benchmark for above average batsmen.

I also remember reflecting on this less than a decade later when Australia had Hayden, Ponting, Waugh and Gilchrist all averaging 50+.

Now I feel I'm back to appreciating 40+ averaging batsmen more.

And I personally always thought Prior was vastly underrated. A quality if not outstanding keeper coupled with a 40+ batting average is exceptional.

vcs

His keeping never "looked" good TBH, even though he probably improved on that aspect. Always looked rather wooden and unnatural behind the stumps.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Went with Buttler but that is more on what he can go on to become. Right now as test players, Prior is better. But Buttler is not done yet and can still over take him, and I think he just might if he can keep up the tempo he has figured out for batting in tests.