• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match-saving Stands

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Discussions on cricket generally focus on fine innings and great bowling performances that are often matchwinners.

This thread takes a look at partnerships that have saved matches.

One of my earliest memories of Test cricket was listening to the final day's play of the 2nd 1953 Ashes Test played at Lords. Willie Watson and Trevor "Barnacle" Bailey came together at 4 - 73 with almost 5 hours to play and an improbable 270 needed for victory. They withstood the whole range of Australian bowling (led by Lindwall and Davidson) until Watson, in his first Ashes Test, was dismissed for 109 at 5.50pm. He had batted for 345 minutes taking 201 minutes over his second fifty. Bailey followed shortly afterwards for 71 having batted for 255 minutes. There was no last minute reversal after the sterling rescue by this pair.

Watson played just 23 Tests making 2 centuries and 3 fifties at a modest 28.85 while Bailey was more of an all-rounder. He (Bailey) played 61 Tests making one century and 10 fifties @ 29.74 while capturing 132 wickets @ 29.21

I still remember listening to the broadcast of the day's play as a boy. I recall being upset and disappointed when they both fell, but they had saved the game.

No doubt there have been many similar match-saving partnerships in recent times and I look forward to reading about those you have seen or listened to.

tony p

First Class Debutant
on the best at their best thread i mentioned the following.

10th wkt match saving stand of 95 minutes by allan border & terry alderman to deny west indies at port-of-spain in march 1984.

border 98no & 100no. listened on radio to it, only the last 10 minutes did the windies give up.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Croft and Gough/Fraser in '98 against SA a good one. Back when a draw was nearly as good as a win for England

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
on the best at their best thread i mentioned the following.

10th wkt match saving stand of 95 minutes by allan border & terry alderman to deny west indies at port-of-spain in march 1984.

border 98no & 100no. listened on radio to it, only the last 10 minutes did the windies give up.
GOAT
z