• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masters 40/40 Cricket - Pick your team

aussie tragic

International Captain
Inspired by the Pan Pacific Masters and my preference for past cricketers, I thought it would be good to pick a "Realistic" Masters Team from each country

The rules are simple:

(1) The game will be a 40 over ODI
(2) Players must be 40 years old or over
(3) Players must be retired from professional cricket (grade cricket is okay)
(4) Players must be considered capable to play the game for real (e.g. picking an 81 yr old Richie Benaud would be crazy unless he had a motorised cart)

Here's my first crack at an Aussie Masters XI (age has been considered in batting order)

1. Michael Slater - 41
2. Mark Waugh - 46
3. Darren Lehman - 41
4. Steve Waugh - 46
5. Michael Bevan - 41
6. Dean Jones - 50
7. Andy Bichel - 41
8. Ian Healy - 47
9. Simon O'Donnell - 48
10. Craig McDermott - 46
11. Glenn McGrath - 41

Hayden, Gilchrist, Hogg and Warne ineligible due to IPL/Big Bash

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats a very impressive Australian side. Not surprising consisting the number of greats and near greats they have lost in less than a decade. India will be in a similar situation is a few years time and, one suspects, in a similar decline in their fortunes as the Aussies are facing today.

Anyway here is a possible Indian side.

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]Siddhu	48
[*]Shastri	49
[*]Manjrekar-46
[*]Azhar	48
[*]Jadeja	40
[*]Amre     	43
[*]Prabhakar- 47
[*]Mongia 	42
[*]Kumble	41
[*]Srinath	42
[*]Maninder- 46
[/LIST]
I have given more importance to the "apparent" fitness level than just the caliber of the player during his youth hence some of the really big names are missing from the batting which is understandable for most of them left around the arrival of the fab four and that15-20 years ago

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My Aussie team.

1. Slater (41)
2. MWaugh (46)
3. Martyn (40)
4. Lehmann (41)
5. Law (43)
6. Bevan (41)
7. Blewett (40)
8. Seccombe (40)
9. Bichel (41)
10. Fleming (41)
11. McGrath (41)

12. Dale (42)

I nearly went for Darren Berry, but remembered Seccombe last minute. Ryan Campbell would make my team in 100 days time. Basically, I've picked a younger team that yours Tragic, just as I think they should be in better condition compared to say Jones or O'Donnell. Mark Waugh is the old guy in the team, but I kept him since he's Mark freaking Waugh.

Mike5181

International Captain
New Zealand X1

1.Mark Richardson- 40
2.Nathan Astle- 40
3.Martin Crowe- 49
4.Roger Twose- 43
5.Christopher Cairns- 41
6.Chris Harris- 41 (semi-retired)
7.Mark Greatbatch- 47
8.Adam Parore- 40
9.Dion Nash- 40 in a couple of weeks